Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-23-2007, 09:29 PM   #1

*ist D, DS, or DS2. Which should I buy?

I would like to buy a digital body and I am trying to decide whether I should get an *istD, DS, or DS2.

The body must work with my current stock of Pentax lenses, flashes and numerous accessories. Because I want to use TTL flashes, I need one of those three.

So which is better?

Is there a picture quality difference between them?

Is the larger LCD display important?

What else do I need to know?

05-23-2007, 09:44 PM   #2

Photos: Albums
The DS and DS2 are virtually identical, except for a few minor details (LCD screen size being the most important). They have a faster buffer than the D, but only have one control wheel. The D has a very slow buffer if you intend to shoot RAW. I think the D has slightly better build quality than the other two.

I started with a DS, and worked my way to a K10D. I never found having one thumb wheel to be a disadvantage, but I'm happy to have two now.

As for image quality, you should get identical quality when shooting RAW - they use the same sensor.

All three are excellent cameras.
05-23-2007, 10:00 PM   #3
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
If you absolutely need full TTL support (which is very handy at times), get the D. Although it's bit slower than the DS and DS2, it still gets the job done. It has a button layout similar to that of the K10D. The DS and DS2 have fewer external buttons as many of their functions had been moved to the menu (i.e. the AF.C/AF.S switch), but their firm and 4-way navigational buttons are a notch above those of the D.

The DS and DS2 only have partial TTL support, the main drawback being that you cannoy use the built-in flash in TTL mode. Check out this thread for more information: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-dslr-faq/2345-pentax-dslrs-support-ttl-flash.html

In comparison, neither the K100D, K110D, nor the K10D support TTL flash.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
05-24-2007, 12:00 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I had the DS first and then moved to the D.. It is slower in write times, but faster in AF. It is also much nicer to use (controls)..

05-24-2007, 10:35 AM   #5

Original Poster
How long of a delay is there when using RAW on the *istD?

I do plan to use this mode for some forms of photography unless the delay is unbearable. I don't need a high frame rate but I don't want to wait too many seconds before the next shot.

Are there any limitations to using EXTERNAL TTL flash on the DS?

AF is not an issue for me. All my glass is manual.

If I were to upgrade, it would most likely be to the K10D, so getting used to the layout via a D body might be an advantage.
05-24-2007, 10:44 AM   #6

I own an *istD and use the Lexar 133x CF 1 gig cards in it. Truthfully I don't notice a delay when I'm shooting rapidly at all. The one thing you will see a delay in the preview image showing up in the screen after you shoot, but I believe that is due to the size of the RAW file.
05-24-2007, 03:21 PM   #7
db2

the D is very good

You might like to try this link....Pentax *ist-D
I have the D , used it for a couple of years mainly with manual focus lenses with satisfying results. Of course, all these need more dynamic range!! The main problem with RAW in my experience, is that it takes forever to download to the computer. This is easily overcome by using a card reader and having a couple of cards. Good luck.

05-24-2007, 04:47 PM   #8
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
If your glass is manual, be aware that the viewfinder is larger on the DS than on the DS2. I think the D and the Ds share the same viewfinder. Also the D uses CF cards and the other two use SD cards. I was very happy with my Ds and used my flash gun without issue.
05-24-2007, 06:00 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I have been very happy with the *istD. I use the full TTL support specificallt with flash, and manual lenses.

I never noticed the write speed and buffer limitations until I got a K10D, which can shoot continually at max resolution Jpeg
05-24-2007, 07:57 PM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by LV Dan Quote
I would like to buy a digital body and I am trying to decide whether I should get an *istD, DS, or DS2.

The body must work with my current stock of Pentax lenses, flashes and numerous accessories. Because I want to use TTL flashes, I need one of those three.

So which is better?
DS2 - the latest is better. And, you're right that the DS2 is the last TTL supported Pentax DSLR. So, the K ones are not your choice.

QuoteQuote:
Is there a picture quality difference between them?
Yes. I have used both the *ist D and DS for a long time. What I can surely tell is: YES. :-)

QuoteQuote:
Is the larger LCD display important?
Yes.

QuoteQuote:
What else do I need to know?
Nothing else, as you have limited choices ;-)
05-25-2007, 06:09 AM   #11
MnR

Hi,

I have the ist D and love it. I switched from Canon to Pentax. I wanted the Pentax in the first place but cost made my decision at the time.

To me the ist D is the model for the K10D. You have the option of putting a vertical grip on it like the K10D. Wihich the others don't have this option.

As far as the bigger LCD Screen goes, I only use it for menu changes. I still shoot like I was using film, Then I did not know the result until it came back from the lab.

It also has the hyper program in P mode like the K10D. I shoot landscape ,Events (stock car racing and ski jumps) and a few portraits. I don't have any problems with the buffer size. Once you learn what the camera Can and Can NOT do You have no problems at all.

You can still get NEW ist Ds from Cameta Camera.

Good Luck with your choice and Happy shooting

Rudy
09-12-2012, 07:18 AM   #12

QuoteOriginally posted by Wethphotography Quote
If your glass is manual, be aware that the viewfinder is larger on the DS than on the DS2.
Sorry to dig up an old thread but can anyone confirm this?
09-12-2012, 10:16 AM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Wethphotography Quote
If your glass is manual, be aware that the viewfinder is larger on the DS than on the DS2. I think the D and the Ds share the same viewfinder. Also the D uses CF cards and the other two use SD cards. I was very happy with my Ds and used my flash gun without issue.
QuoteOriginally posted by striker_ Quote
Sorry to dig up an old thread but can anyone confirm this?
The manuals for D, DS and DS2 show exactly the same viewfinder specs for all three: pentaprism, 95%, 0.95 mag, diopter from -2.5 to +1.5. The DL and DL2 have a pentamirror VF.