Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-02-2009, 08:04 PM   #1

K20 SUDDENTLY won't power on

So, I just used my k20 a few days ago - worked great! But, today when I turn it on it won't do anything. A full battery symbol flashes and quickly goes away and the orange light reading the SD card blinks. Then...NOTHING. I've tried 4 different batteries. I know at least one of the batteries was working because I used it to power my backup (a k10). Does anyone know of ANYTHING that could be wrong. I would like this to be fixed ASAP -- I have a wedding on Saturday and numerous sessions this week.

Thanks for any advice!

10-02-2009, 08:11 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I bet your SD card is not in the slot... look in your card reader. If the card's in the camera, try removing it and reinstalling it.
10-02-2009, 08:18 PM   #3

Original Poster
The card is in the slot. The orange light blinks and quickly turns off - just as it would when it powers on as normal. I tried removing the card and replacing it. I still get the same result.
10-02-2009, 08:27 PM   #4

What happens when you power up without a card in the camera? Same thing?

10-02-2009, 08:34 PM   #5

Original Poster
yep, same thing. Except that the orange light doesn't come on.
10-02-2009, 09:01 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Hmmm - forgive me for belaboring the card thing for a second more... Have you tried an alternate SD card, and have you confirmed that your card is not in backwards? (I don't know if it's possible to put a card in backward, and I'm not gonna test it ) I keep going on about this because the symptoms your camera is presenting seem a lot like it's lacking a card.
10-03-2009, 01:00 AM   #7
Forum Member

How old is your k20?
I think there are some electronic problems with some of the Pentax DSLR. I had one myself and others have also reported them. Try removing the battery for a few seconds then put it back and try.

10-03-2009, 04:39 AM   #8

Original Poster
The SD card is not the problem. The camera will power on (normally) with or without a memory card. But, I have tried alternate cards.

I've also tried removing and replacing the battery. I also have tried with a fully charged battery (right off the charger) and I still have the same result.

I bought the camera this past July. So...not very old.
10-03-2009, 04:49 AM   #9
Forum Member

I sympathise with you and your wedding situation.
The electricals have been known to give in in Pentax DSLRs but unfortunatley Pentax will not be able to assist you before your wedding although it is a recouring problem with several customers in differnet models and it seems the only solution is motherboard replacements and that takes several weeks as I got to find out. The two links below have k-7 in the titles but as you can read in the threads, K20 and K10s are also getting the issues.
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-dslr-discussion/74410-k-7-flickering-screen.html
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-dslr-discussion/74242-serious-shor...ectronics.html

I hope for you it is less serious and you can get it to work on time for the wedding.
10-03-2009, 04:50 AM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Alex2007 Quote
The SD card is not the problem. The camera will power on (normally) with or without a memory card. But, I have tried alternate cards.

I've also tried removing and replacing the battery. I also have tried with a fully charged battery (right off the charger) and I still have the same result.

I bought the camera this past July. So...not very old.
I had a K10D that had a similar problem (don't remember if the SD card light went on though). I tired eveyhting you tried, including brining it into a camera store to try one of their batteries and cards.

Mine had to be sent back and according to the invoice a board was replaced , so there was nothing I could do sorry to say.

By chance do you have the battery grip ? Have you tried with and without the grip ? In the menu it is using the body battery first ?

I think you have donne your due dillegence and it may be time for warrently work, unfortunatley.
10-03-2009, 05:53 AM   #11

Original Poster
I do have the grip and have tried with and without it. I figured it was something internally wrong with the camera. But, thought that I would attempt to find a solution on here. I have an email sent to pentax already (call center was closed). So, hopefully I will hear something by Monday. I plan to ask for it to replaced, rather than repaired. But, that is probably a long shot.
10-03-2009, 06:23 AM   #12
Forum Member

Please let us know how you do with Pentax customer service
I did not get any flexibility from them on my case. I also got mine in July.
10-03-2009, 07:10 PM   #13

Original Poster
I will post new info as soon I have something! Thanks again for all your help!
04-04-2024, 03:28 PM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Well, I charged up my battery on my Pentax K20D, not used in a decade. But it wouldn't turn on, just flash for a split second the battery symbol. Well, i found there was no SD card in the slot, so I fixed that. And bingo, everything is honky dory. Many thanks for the advice on this site.