Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-26-2007, 09:46 AM   #1
Inactive Account

Loose Movement inside a new K100D

Hi All,

Just got my new K100D, taking it out of the wrapping etc immediately noticed that something is loose inside the camera. My suspicion is that the AS feature on the CCD allows it to float/move along its vertical/horizontal plane. Movement occurs just when tipping the camera and does not require much force at all.

When I powered the camera on I expected it to lock into place or similar but the behaviour persists. Seems to take images OK with the kit lens.

Feeling a bit paranoid as I have a Dynax 5D also with anitshake, but there's nothing loose in that camera, and you feel the CCD AS system briefly shift the CCD as you switch on.

Can some other K100 owners out there put me out of my dilemma and confirm/deny that this is normal for this camera.

Eagerly waiting responses!

05-26-2007, 10:22 AM   #2

its normal,my K100D do the same.
05-26-2007, 10:31 AM   #3
CDP
Forum Member

Well this isn't going to help much since I don't hear anything rattling when I shake my K100D. Mulder and I have canceled each other out. It may just be on a case by case basis. If your camera is working OK and there isn't anything obviously loose inside the camera body, I would worry about it.
05-26-2007, 10:36 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Yea that should be the K100D sensor. When camera is off, so are the magnets. The sensor is then just free to slide around in the CCD shift box.

05-26-2007, 11:32 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Again it evens out, I don't hear a thing with my camera

Since 2 people are hearing the same thing as you it can't be a bad thing, so I don't think that you should worry about it
CDP's camera and mine might just have a little better sound isolation or be a little tighter. Either that or we just can't hear it
05-26-2007, 12:15 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Something to try....

I have it too, and I've got something for you to try:

Open up the batt compartment and take the batteries out....see if the movement continues.

I *believe* in my case there's a slight shiftiing of either the batteries or the compartment cover that sends that slight "shifting" feeling into my shooting hand.

Even if I'm wrong, I have no indication there's anything wrong with a camera that shows that symptom.

Let me know if you can confirm or deny my theory....

Regards,

germar
05-26-2007, 12:37 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

At first I thought, "No way does my camera rattle." Foolishly I grabbed the K110D first since it was sitting in front of me, and had no rattle. I pulled out the K100D and with power off when I roll it upside down there is a dull, short, sliding noise. Roll it back, it repeats. Seems like the Sensor does move around with power off. You have good ears, or a quiet location.

I've been inside my K110D and the sensor is solidly mounted. It is not a K100D with the Anti Shake locked down, it has a different main board.

05-26-2007, 01:32 PM   #8

I think it must be normal, I have read it so many times, and my K100D does the same thing also.
05-26-2007, 02:05 PM   #9
Pentaxian

It's normal, the K10D does the same thing.
05-26-2007, 02:27 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Yep, if it didn't move it wouldn't work
05-26-2007, 03:13 PM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
what you all hear and call normal is the image sensor, which is loose until theimage stabilization holds it in place.

It is totally natural.

I would worry if you don't hear this. it will go away once you turn the camera on
05-26-2007, 03:33 PM   #12
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Folks,

Thanks very much for all your responses I googled this a bit earlier and discovered that it does seem to be normal (phew), although there does seem to be some variability in whether or not it is heard/felt on all K100Ds which is a bit wierd but could be manufacturing tolerance.

My movement persists whether or not the camera is on, and whether or not the SR is on. It is not the batteries. It seems that the sensor is free floating along is plane of orientation, and the magnets only operate to fix the sensor down at the time of shutter release. this makes sense as it conserves power. The same seems to apply for SR off, the only diffference being that the sensor is then locked to the central position.

Can those of you who do feel/hear some movement confirm that this persists even whilst the camera is on and the SR is turned off.

I looked in the manual and I didn't find any mention, I think it would be helpful if Pentax put a note in regarding this.

I'm nearly convinced that this is all fine, but still have the last 2% of doubt to remove!
05-26-2007, 06:58 PM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

My K100D "rattles" all the time, even when the button is half depressed and the auto focus is active. I guess you are right, the Share Reduction only activates at the last moment.

I would never have noticed it if you didn't mention it.