Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-14-2009, 09:43 PM   #1

Newbie K-7 Question; Is This Normal?

I am new to the forum and just received my K-7 today after much review and consideration of the users on this forum, for which I'm very appreciative. Almost immediately upon handing this unit I noticed the following: the camera, when rotated from horizontal to vertical orientation, makes a slight "clunking" noise, and I can feel something slightly shifting within the camera when I do this. This behavior occurs whether the camera is powered on or not, with or without battery installed, with or without lens mounted. Is this normal behavior (eg, some sort of switch actuation taking place), or might I have a defective unit? Thanks

10-14-2009, 09:59 PM   #2

Original Poster
OK My apologies

I should have done a more thorough forum search before posting. This appears to be normal behavior associated with SR. Bad way to start off in a new forum. Sorry for the trouble.
10-14-2009, 10:01 PM   #3

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Perfectly normal in sensor shift 'shake reduction' systems.
The sensor needs to be 'floating' to act in response to camera movement.
10-14-2009, 10:04 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
not really. your welcome though. anyway, I can see your concern. for someone who isn't really familiar with the system, it is quite worrisome since it is really unusual and your first intelligent guess would be something might be loose inside of the camera. Welcome to the forum and enjoy your new K-7 !!!

Last edited by Pentaxor; 10-14-2009 at 10:22 PM.
10-14-2009, 10:17 PM   #5
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Well welcome anyway mate.
You'll be accustomed to the little nuances of your fancy new camera in no time.
Enjoy shooting with it and log into the forum once in a while.
10-15-2009, 02:09 PM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by smgrogue Quote
I should have done a more thorough forum search before posting. This appears to be normal behavior associated with SR. Bad way to start off in a new forum. Sorry for the trouble.
Actually, you may be the first person in the history of this particular topic to have eventually figured it out himself by searching the forums - well done!
10-15-2009, 09:15 PM   #7
Veteran Member

WOW!

The "why does my Pentax clunk" question is by far THE most asked question by those new to Pentax.

Good on ya for figuring it out!

Common question number two is: "Why does my camera read F--- with my old K1000 lens attached?"

Welcome to the forum!