Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-28-2009, 06:19 PM   #31

Hey guys, just another update. I got some Sanyo Eneloops today (precharged and rebranded as PresidentChoice rechargables).

Initially, after installing the batteries, they showed up red in the indicator. No problem, this has been reported before, so I set the battery type to NiMh and rebooted the camera. The battery bar went to full green. I'm a happy camper now.

Since I talked about how I got the half-battery warning taking HDR pictures with my lithiums. I tried to repeat the test by taking 10 HDR pictures in a row. To my delight, battery status remained green throughout the process.

Bottom line: I think most of the K-Xs do not experience battery problems, it's just a few vocal minority and some paranoia that's spreading around.. if anything, the battery detection mechanism couldsometimes causes anoyyances, but it's definitely not a deal-breaker, set correct battery type, turn off camera, wait 10 secs, turn it back on usually fixes the problem.

10-28-2009, 11:31 PM   #32
Veteran Member

Hi,

QuoteOriginally posted by UnknownVT Quote
Thank you for the words of optimism -

However I think you may have the specs of the K200D misquoted - according to the downloaded manual for the K200D

The figures for 2500mAh NiMH were 700/400 -
Pentax do tend to be conservative in these battery estimates/specs.

But you are right it is encouraging - there is definitely improvement -
I have noted this in AA powered Pentax dSLRs since the K100D.

However what I was addressing was specifically the problem that blu3ness had when using HDR on the Kx with lithium AAs - if he was having low battery signals with lithiums - it is possible that NiMH would not be better - that is what I was saying.

Can you see any reason why NiMH would be better?

Of course since Pentax dSLRs using AAs now can set the battery type - perhaps NiMH might not be so prone to low battery signal - if Pentax have done the battery profile correctly - especially if eneloops are used.
FYI, the estimates are conservative - I have shot more than 1100 pictures on one set of eneloops with the K200D, and more than 200 on alkalines as well. I didn't keep track of the shots with the lithiums but it was even more than the eneloops.
10-29-2009, 08:41 AM   #33
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
My white K-x is on it's way, so I will have some results!

Unfortunately it looks like it is not coming before Halloween weekend
10-29-2009, 10:31 AM   #34
Forum Member

Still using the same precharged enloops. I've shot around 15 minutes of video, around 200 pictures, done a few HDR, done some flash, done some cross processing, and dinked around in the menu and what not for long periods of time. During video I have seen it dip to orange for a few seconds, only to make its way back to green. This is from 2 days of use. So far, so good!

10-29-2009, 10:55 AM   #35
Veteran Member

Just ordered 8 eneloops and the Lacrosse BC-9009 charger for my blue K-x, which won't get here till late next month.
10-29-2009, 11:00 AM   #36
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by deadwolfbones Quote
Just ordered 8 eneloops and the Lacrosse BC-9009 charger for my blue K-x, which won't get here till late next month.
When you get it, do take pictures of it with some limiteds! I really wanted the blue but couldn't wait. Just make sure the pictures look ugly so I don't have to buy the blue.
10-29-2009, 04:26 PM   #37

QuoteOriginally posted by deadwolfbones Quote

same here, can't wait

10-30-2009, 07:24 AM   #38
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Damn you UPS! There was a small chance it would arrive by the end of day today, but then I see this on my tracking #:

CORALVILLE, IA, US INCORRECT ROUTING AT UPS FACILITY
Rescheduled Delivery Date: 11/04/2009

We'll see if the early white models have the battery problem. I think TigerDirect dropshipped it from PentaxImaging, so I will have to communicate with them if I have the battery problem, it will be interesting to see what they say
10-30-2009, 07:42 AM   #39

I don't think you should be that concerned..... good luck!
10-30-2009, 08:19 AM   #40
Inactive Account

More tests with K-x battery issue

I did some more tests, I now have La Crosse charger and 3 sets of NiMH.

Only one set of NiMH sort of works. Camera is functioning with this set, but the battery meter shows half or fully discharged even with the camera setting to NiMH (the default setting is Auto).

I tried Lithiums last night and it works correctly with this type of battery.

Using a voltmeter, it's pretty easy to determine what is going on. The one set of NiMHs that partially work have a couple tenths higher open circuit voltage, very close to 1.5 volts. The other two sets are in the 1.2 to 1.3 volt range. The lithiums measure 1.6 volts !

Whatever sensing mechanism the K-x uses to sense battery voltage is either broken or improperly tuned. I'm guessing there is an A-D converter which measures the voltage and then determines the displayed charge level, or more drastically, decides to shut down the camera.

Another wild guess- the problem could be fixed by re-calibrating the A-D to the correct sensing range.

This camera has got to go back to Pentax. It's put me in a bit of dilemma as I bought the camera to take on a trip overseas next week.

Serial number is 34388XX.
10-30-2009, 09:43 AM   #41

I have used a few sets of enloops into KX, and one time with fully charged enloops, the camera shut off, using LV, and stated the batteries were dead.

I took them out, switched the order, and all seemed to be fine. Although I've noticed with 2 different types of rechargable NiMH batteries fully charged it seems to display that the battery is only at 50%
10-30-2009, 09:45 AM   #42
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Daemos Quote
I have used a few sets of enloops into KX, and one time with fully charged enloops, the camera shut off, using LV, and stated the batteries were dead.

I took them out, switched the order, and all seemed to be fine. Although I've noticed with 2 different types of rechargable NiMH batteries fully charged it seems to display that the battery is only at 50%
Did you select NiMH in the settings and also wait like 10 seconds after putting them in before turning them on?

You're the second person to say switching the order fixed their problem.
10-30-2009, 09:49 AM   #43

QuoteOriginally posted by Eruditass Quote
Did you select NiMH in the settings and also wait like 10 seconds after putting them in before turning them on?

You're the second person to say switching the order fixed their problem.
I didn't even know there was a setting, granted this only happened once.

Although every time I did wait quite a while before turning it on.
10-30-2009, 09:56 AM   #44

You don't have to wait everytime, just when you switch battery types.

I also suspect setting the battery type and reboot is a quick workd-around instead of letting the camera detect the battery type on its own.
10-30-2009, 10:10 AM   #45
Veteran Member

No problems here with normal 2500 mAh NiMh

The stories here got me a bit worried, so I had 3 sets of batteries ready, Varta 2500 mAh, Varta Hybrid 2100 mAh and Eneloops 2000 mAh.

I started with the 2500mAh, because those are the batteries I would prefer to use. The hybrids are mainly for my flashes, so that they have still full batteries a few months after charging.

I placed the 4 batteries, waited about 30 seconds, took a deep breath and turned the K-x on. I was welcomed with the language selection screen, set the time, took a few images and walked though the various menus till I found the battery type selector. Set it to NiMh, turned the camera off and a few seconds later on again.

Till now I've made 160 images and about 5 30 seconds movies, used lifeview and menus a lot, tested the HiSpeed drive mode and the battery indicator still shows full. I assume the other batteries will also work, I'll test them when these are empty.