Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-10-2009, 08:02 AM   #1

K200D Battery Problem

Hi,
I just sent my K200D in for repair because the MIMH batteries would show 1 bar or dead with only a couple photos shot after a full recharge. I bought a $40 charger and bought good Sanyo 2700 mah batteries. I also tried a brand new set of AA Alkaline and they show as dead. I used to get days of photos without having to recharge the batteries. After showing dead I sent it in and the pentax repair shop (now 3rd party) and they had it for 2 months and said they adjusted the board. the same exact problem when I inserted NIMH batteries or Alkaline after I got it back. I put in some Lithium and it showed full charge, but didnt test to see how long they would last. I told pentax one of the reasons I bought the 200D was because I could use NIMH recharables and save the money of buying lithium. They basically told me I have to use Lithium. I told them they should change all there manuals and literature and state you can only use Lithium batteries. Has anyone elase had this problem, and if so have you come up with any other solutions?

Thanks
Dave

**UPDATE** I just ordered a charger and batteries for the newer NiZn AA's from Amazon, so we will see if these work better than my Sanyo nimh's. They are suppose to have 1.6 volts vs the 1.2 of the nimh. Hopefully this will solve the problem.

Last edited by David Tooker; 11-11-2009 at 02:35 PM.
11-10-2009, 08:20 AM   #2
Inactive Account

Nevr heard of having to use only lithium. I use only Eneloop batteries in all my cameras, including my K200D.
11-10-2009, 09:19 AM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Unfortunately, the 2200, 2500 and 2700 mH rechargeables just don't seem to meet spec's for these cameras. I've never had a bit of trouble with Energizer Lithiums or Eneloops in DS, K100s or K200s.

I carry lithiums as emergency spares and cycle six sets of Eneloops through four K200s with no problems and typically get an estimated 600-800 snaps in the K200 using no flash and minimal chimping. I usually change out rechargeables at the very first sign of slow focusing.

H2
11-10-2009, 09:48 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I have used eneloops (2000mah) and rayovac hybrid (2100mah) with my K200D with no problem whatsoever.

11-10-2009, 12:09 PM   #5

I too have had my issues with batteries for the K200D. Bought two different sets of chargers and batteries, both are worn out by now and I haven't used them that much.
Ordered the Eneloops from a german distributor (can't seem to find them anywhere in my country of Sweden), but they've been delayed for another 10 days (waited just 10 already). And I have a planned shoot tomorrow..
The main problem about AA's in my Pentax is that it stops me from shooting, and that's quite serious if you ask me..

Makes me want to step up to K-7, mainly just to get rid of these issues once and for all!
We'll see if I have the patience to wait for these Eneloops..
11-10-2009, 02:43 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Fabian Quote
I too have had my issues with batteries for the K200D. Bought two different sets of chargers and batteries, both are worn out by now and I haven't used them that much.
Ordered the Eneloops from a german distributor (can't seem to find them anywhere in my country of Sweden), but they've been delayed for another 10 days (waited just 10 already). And I have a planned shoot tomorrow..
The main problem about AA's in my Pentax is that it stops me from shooting, and that's quite serious if you ask me..

Makes me want to step up to K-7, mainly just to get rid of these issues once and for all!
We'll see if I have the patience to wait for these Eneloops..
While waiting for the eneloops, go and get a set of AA lithiums. They will keep you going till other set comes in.

Cheers, Mike.
11-11-2009, 12:00 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
And don't expect alkalines to ever work. The manual specifically says that is not supported. Some ordinary NiMH's work - mostly brand new ones - but save yourself a lot of aggravation and get Eneloops or other low self-discharge / precharged / hybrid rechargables like everyone is advising. Search these forums and you'll see doznes of similar threads, all with exactly the same conclusion: alkalines don't work at all, some ordinary NiMH's do but it's iffy; Eneloops or other hybrids work *great* (and so do lithiums).

11-11-2009, 04:20 AM   #8

Found 4 alkalines at home that I just put in, heard that they'll last for approx 150-200 shots. Guess I'll have to compare to film, where the limit is reached at 36 frames per roll. Gonna check the stores on my way home for Lithiums, though!

Maybe an AA recommendation/review thread would be good? Since this topic is constantly hot.

Last edited by Fabian; 11-11-2009 at 04:30 AM.
11-11-2009, 11:58 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Tru, but as I said, every time it comes up, the answer is the same: use Eneloops (or similar "hybrids"), or Lithiums. Don't even mess with anything else.

OK, except the banrd new NiZn cells, which also seem to work well.

There is no point in discussing which alkalines work better than which, or which old-style NiMH's might possibly keep their voltage up for long than others. It's just not worth even thinking abut when there are good, reliable choices available.
11-11-2009, 12:03 PM   #10
MGV

No problem with my Eneloops in my K200D. I have 2 sets that I have had for over a year and use a Sanyo charger (bought them as a set along with a couple of AAA's at Costco).
11-15-2009, 08:02 AM   #11

Ok, here is my experience with a recently aquired K200d. With a new set of Rayovac Hybrids, I got 934 shots (only 10-15 with flash) out of the camera before it wouldn't turn on any more. With my trusty Duracell 2650 mAH NiMH batteries, I got about 30 shots. The most frustrating thing is that I tested these Duracell batteries in my LaCrosse BC-900 charger and they appear in excellent shape. If I put these same batteries in my old K100d, I can easily get 800+ shots out of them.

So, two observations...... as others have stated, it looks like hybrid LSD NiMH batteries will do the trick in most cases, but I am very disappointed that the camera cannot use "normal" NiMH high capacity cells (as stated in the owner's manual) that perform perfectly in every other device I use them in (including my K100d).