Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-13-2009, 01:06 PM   #1

Photos: Albums
K200D vs K20D

Looking for some insight..............i currently own a K200D and considering upgrading to the K20D - i understand the K20D has 14 megapixels and that is good when enlarging and cropping and i know the sensor is cmos instead of CMOS sensor which is supposedly better than the K200D sensor (more lighting) - there are some other features that seem to be a upgrade, but i wonder if anyone can tell me whether or not it's a valued upgrade. Of course the salesperson thought so, but any thoughts would be welcome. I am upgrading from a Pentax 18-55 kit lens to a 18-50 f2.8 lens that should make a good difference in my photos to...............thx

11-13-2009, 01:12 PM   #2

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Get the lens on your K200D before upgrading the body; live with it for a few months and upgrage to K7.
11-13-2009, 01:18 PM   #3
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Indeed a lens 'upgrade' would be more value for money than the body upgrade.
The K200D is a very capable camera. So what about the extra 4Mp? CMOS? It may give an extra stop in noise-controlled high ISO, but will you use it?
One thing I don't like about the K20D is the long exposure noise, even at low ISO - something the CCD sensors seem not to have.
11-13-2009, 01:22 PM   #4

Original Poster
Upgrading

I am not deciding between the K20D or the LENS. I am upgrading the LENS either way and just wanted to know if it was worthwhile to upgrade the body from the K200D to the K20D (at the same time)?????????

thx

11-13-2009, 01:31 PM   #5
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

If you ask yourself the above questions, you may find the answer within.

But if you're not concerned about money all that much, a K-7 would impress you more.
The K20D is a refined K200D with some added advanced features, but a K-7 is more of an upgrade for you - in AF speed and performance, in video capture, in customisability.

Have a look at user reviews of each camera to help make your decision more informed:
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/k-mount-digital-slr/61302-pentax-k-7-a.html
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/k-mount-digital-slr/61299-pentax-k20d.html
11-13-2009, 01:33 PM   #6

Photos: Gallery
It all depends on your needs. With K20, you have greater control for creative photography. You can switch between different metering, ISO etc., a lot faster...
11-13-2009, 01:48 PM   #7
emr

I own both, but I haven't used the K200D enough to really give a detailed comparison. K20D is a bit bigger and a bit heavier, while gives a bit more refined and higher quality feeling. Just by gut feeling, I'd say upgrading isn't probably worth it. If you're willing to spend some more, a K-7 would give you better AF but not sure if even that upgrade would make such a huge difference in general photography. But caveat, I've never even held a K-7 in my hands.

Oh, if long exposures or astrophotography is an interest of yours, a K20D is actually worse than a K200D with regard to the forced Dark Frame Subtraction (DFS).

11-13-2009, 09:59 PM   #8
Veteran Member

This is a common question, and a pleasant choice to make. I was in the same position a few months ago, and after a lot of thought and reading, decided to go for the K20D (750 Canadian vs 1400 for the K7 body) and spend the savings on some fine glass. I am not sorry that I did it this way. The K7 is a superb camera at that price point, but for me, the additional refinements over the K20 (especially the availability of HD video) were not that crucial.

I decided to keep the K200D; I can't bear to part with it. It's now my street camera with a fast 50/1.4 on it, and I use it a lot as a mount for my old manual lenses.

Either way, you are getting a great camera. Enjoy your choice. You are in for a lot of fun.
11-14-2009, 12:22 PM   #9
Veteran Member

I've used both and own the K200D. I am NOT considering the K20 upgrade. It's a fine camera, but the advantages are not worth the upgrade expense for my uses.

I'm going to wait for the K7 prices to drop and then consider a move. Until then, the glass is getting better all the time...
11-14-2009, 01:21 PM   #10
Veteran Member

I upgraded from the k200d to the k20d and i have no regrets at all. I needed those advanced features. The ability to quickly change modes without looking up or without going into menus is very important. Shooting portraits of moving kids or weddings calls for very quick transitions. If you can't switch from AF.S to AF.C in less than a second, you miss the shot. I can shoot the k20d at ISO 1600 with no problem where as I would think twice about putting my k200d at ISO 800.
11-14-2009, 01:30 PM   #11
Inactive Account

I own a K200D and I've used the K20D, to me they are not much different on the computer, or small size prints, but if you plan to make bigger prints and need PC flash connection, K20D is superior.

Re: Pentax K200D and K20D printing up to A1 size: Pentax SLR Talk Forum: Digital Photography Review
11-14-2009, 02:44 PM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by audio.mann Quote
Looking for some insight..............i currently own a K200D and considering upgrading to the K20D - i understand the K20D has 14 megapixels and that is good when enlarging and cropping and i know the sensor is cmos instead of CMOS sensor which is supposedly better than the K200D sensor (more lighting)
Neither of those would be reason to upgrade; the differences you mention mean next to nothing in practice. The reasons to upgrade would be if you want the larger viewfinder or the additional controls on the body. That is, the difference in cameras would be one of usability, not of image quality. I mean, there might be a *slight* advantage to the K20D at high ISO, but not enough to be worth spending hundreds of dolalrs over - especially since the difference mostly disappears if you run any noise reduction on PP.

So I'd agree those who suggest if you're looking to spend a few hundred more dollars to upgrade, spend it on another lens. Yes, I know you're already upgrading your 18-55 - but I mean, get *another* lens, like a good telephoto, or a macro, or an extreme wide angle, or a "faster" lens (larger maximum aperture), or something else.e