Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
11-16-2009, 10:10 PM   #1

Photos: Gallery
remote control for pentax kx

Which remote control works with the pentax kx?

11-16-2009, 10:27 PM   #2

The Pentax starter kit that came with my K-x had a Pentax branded remote made in Indonesia. I will have a look at it later to see if it has a model number. It was pretty simple and tiny.
I have yet to try it in bulb mode but it should be interesting.
11-16-2009, 10:29 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
To my knowledge any of the Remote Control F standards will work.
The K-x doesn't seem to have any other support(ports) for remotes though.

That is to say, 3'rd party long range remotes won't work.
Though someone might come up with a USB connection version down the line.
11-16-2009, 10:36 PM   #4
Veteran Member

I have some random ebay version I got for like a dollar or two that works excellently with the new bulb mode option

11-17-2009, 04:51 AM   #5

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Eruditass Quote
I have some random ebay version I got for like a dollar or two that works excellently with the new bulb mode option
can you tell me which one it is
11-17-2009, 07:05 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I have the Pentax wireless remote "C", It works with my K-x.

I tested it in bulb mode. I have it set to open shutter with one click, then close it with another click. Works as described.
The other mode is to open shutter as long as you have the button depressed, that works also. The modes are selectable in the menu.

I dont have the manual in front of me right now but I think the "F" remote works with it also.
11-17-2009, 07:11 AM   #7

QuoteOriginally posted by roy4core Quote
can you tell me which one it is
My random remote from ebay works too:

11-17-2009, 09:29 AM   #8

Is it possible to use a computer as remote control for pentak k-x in order to make time-lapse videos?
11-17-2009, 11:02 AM   #9

If you type "Pentax KX remote" into ebay you should find one of the cheap ones. I have one for my Km, it works perfectly. Range isn't wonderful but for £3 you can't complain - the battery wouldn't cost much less here!
11-17-2009, 12:30 PM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by carloscomendador Quote
Is it possible to use a computer as remote control for pentak k-x in order to make time-lapse videos?
I tried the following:
  • TV Remote (no effect)
  • Remote Car Starter (nil)
  • Garage Door Remote (nothing)
  • 4 Channel RC Remote (nada)

And finally
  • Pentax F remote (SUCCESS!)
11-17-2009, 12:58 PM   #11

Of course the others won't work - Pentax will have picked a frequency that won't interfere with other infra-red devices!

Seriously, all you need is a device that emits the correct infra-red frequency to trigger the shutter. A cheap 3rd party remote will do this just as well as a genuine one.
11-17-2009, 01:37 PM   #12

Sorry, maybe I'm quite limited by the language. What I'm trying to say is if is it possible to connect the pentax k-x to a computer via USB in order to program a series of shots to compose time-lapse videos.

And sorry again for my limited english.
11-17-2009, 02:19 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Sorry, maybe I'm quite limited by the language. What I'm trying to say is if is it possible to connect the pentax k-x to a computer via USB in order to program a series of shots to compose time-lapse videos.

I believe so, it has multi/USB port and other Pentax camera's have had remote abilities, however... I have never found these functions to be very advanced compared to the competition(Canon is amazing).

Also it would be hard to tell if it can without actually trying it.
The software to control the camera is usually bundled with the camera.
11-17-2009, 04:26 PM   #14
Veteran Member

As far as I know, the USB connection to the K-x only supports two USB connection protocols: MSC - Mass Storage Class and PTP - Picture Transfer Protocol. I'm not sure if either of those facilitate remote control of the camera shutter.

However it may be possible that a device like this:

Gadget Infinity :: Digital Camera :: Wireless Shutter :: Wireless Timer Remote for Canon 1000D, 500D, etc.

could meet your needs, if the timer device could talk directly to the camera via the IR port on the camera, rather than via a cable. Whether it can or not will need further study of the documentation for the product.

Unlike the K-x, if you had a K7, K20D, K200D with a direct shutter cable connection, you could use a device like this to do the job:

Gadget Infinity :: Digital Camera :: Shutter Release Cable :: Timer Remote Cord for Canon / Pentax / Samsung

If this device had a IR port, that would make it ideal for doing time lapse etc with the K-x.
11-17-2009, 05:52 PM   #15
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Dangermouse Quote
Of course the others won't work - Pentax will have picked a frequency that won't interfere with other infra-red devices!
Mostly!

I have a universal remote that, when set to a certain Sony TV configuration code, I can press the "Picture-in-Picture" button and have the camera take a shot.

I actually carried that (bulky!) A/V remote around in my camera bag for a few months until I got smart and purchased one of those third-party remotes from DealExtreme. Much better.