Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
12-05-2009, 09:03 PM - 1 Like   #1
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
Mac software to determine shutter actuation count

I FINALLY found an accessory program to get image file metadata lists (including shutter count) that works with Exiftool for Mac (OS-X) without any command-line nonsense (a link to PhotoME for Windows is also found there). Do this:
1) download Exiftool for Mac from this site:
ExifTool by Phil Harvey
2) double click on it to install. 3) Scroll down on the same web page, under Related Utilities for Mac OS-X and click on: "Download three droplets to extract information [exiftool must be installed] (thanks to Rob Lewis)", then 4) double click on the archive to decompress it. Move the "List Exif Metadata" folder into the Applications folder (optional). 5) There are three "droplet" apps, and you can drag a JPEG image file taken with your Pentax digital camera onto the "List Exif Metadata (edit)" droplet and it will give you the shutter count along with a huge list of other data. The other two droplets also gave lots of data, but not the shutter count, for some odd reason.

12-06-2009, 09:39 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Actually the "List Exif Metadata (list)" droplet shows the shutter count too. It's about half-way through the list, just under the four shake reduction figures. The advantage of the (edit) applet is that you can do a search to find the word shutter, removing the need to look for the info. The (dialog) applet only shows the first page of the info and won't let you scroll down, makes you wonder just how useful it is.
12-07-2009, 12:08 AM   #3
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by atown Quote
I FINALLY found an accessory program to get image file metadata lists (including shutter count) that works with Exiftool for Mac (OS-X) without any command-line nonsense (a link to PhotoME for Windows is also found there).
Droplet is bigger nonsense than command line
12-07-2009, 02:26 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Indeed. I prefer opening Terminal, typing exiftool then dragging the file into the terminal window. But to each their own.

- Jason

08-04-2010, 04:51 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by inferno10 Quote
Indeed. I prefer opening Terminal, typing exiftool then dragging the file into the terminal window. But to each their own.

- Jason
I gotta agree. This works great. Command-F for count and you're there. (I found out I have to shoot more!)