Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-15-2009, 11:51 AM   #1
Inactive Account

You married your new K-x today...

...well at least that's what the mother of my son told me after she arrived home late atfernoon.(important notice: I bought a K-x today). Anyway my impressions so far:

-very very good built quality-have a look and try the sd card door-very pleasent to use

-good ergonomics-it's subjective-still the grip has a nicely shaped curvature-better than any competitors offer-although the D5000 sits in the hand nicely too

-lack of top lcd-no problem-I liked it on the k200d-still the menu is so straightforward in the K-x it feels like no problem at all.

-lack of AF indicators- I liked it very much on the K200d to change them around-but in the K-x connecting the AF with the AE seems to make recomposing the pictures very easy thanks to the the responsivness of the camera and the AF system in general. (this was my main concern before pulling the trigger)

-as I mentioned AF is fast and useable even on our black catmuch much better than on the k200D

-the supplied software is improved over the previous one I had (version 3.5)-although every time I try to open an in-camera jpeg the software(windows vista) shuts itself down. No problem with the RAWs-and I only shoot RAW

-IQ: mixed bag- somehow the low iso (200) pictures lack the WOW factor I somtimes have with my K200D-the RAW files usually look much much better than the RAW converted Jpegs-maybe my fault-but that's my first impression. Dynamic range looks very good as well as HIGH iso! WOOOW!!!

what else...pictures!:

iso200 FA50 f2.5 1/125

iso200 DA16-45 28mm f5.6 1/50

this is also iso200-the one I like the best-DA16-45 28mm f4 1/40

iso800 DA 50-200 125mm f4.5 1/2500

iso3200 FA50 f3.2 1/20

Thanks for reading

Andras

P.S. the AWB works better too-this is our "test kitchen" with different bulbs-don't look at the mess-that's the reason I'm sleeping with my camera this evening:-)

Last edited by planedriver; 12-15-2009 at 12:00 PM.
12-15-2009, 12:34 PM   #2
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Congrats Andras, hope it complements your marriage and not replaces it!

Great results and good initial review.
I'm sure you'll continue to enjoy it with time.
12-15-2009, 06:47 PM   #3
Veteran Member

I haveto agree with you on the lack of low ISO wow factor. The results from shots at ISO 1600 and higher blow my mind. But the shots from the lower ISOs just don't have the punch or sharpness of my K10/20d. I think there is an overall softness to the camera, and it's just less offensive at high ISOs. That being said, it's is still an mazing machine and the results are great. Just not as Great as the incredible low ISO sharpness and IQ of a K20d.
12-15-2009, 09:07 PM   #4
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by GeneralBenson Quote
I haveto agree with you on the lack of low ISO wow factor. The results from shots at ISO 1600 and higher blow my mind. But the shots from the lower ISOs just don't have the punch or sharpness of my K10/20d. I think there is an overall softness to the camera, and it's just less offensive at high ISOs. That being said, it's is still an mazing machine and the results are great. Just not as Great as the incredible low ISO sharpness and IQ of a K20d.

That's my first impression too-the strange thing however (for me ) is that the RAW files look much-much better and only when they are converted I start to have this feeling of not having that punchy look-it's like when you loose quality as you compress a file. Of course we are talking about minor effects. That being said jpeg converted from my k200d's RAW files always ended up great.
Overall the K-x is super body if you like the high iso territory at a good price. The k200d however remains my primary outdoor low iso camera (it has the same sensor as the K10 I guess)

iso2500 1/30 f2-great result from the K-x no PP

iso 3200 1/25 f2 AF test on this black beast cropped

Andras