Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-18-2009, 07:19 PM   #1

K-x is similar to...

When looking at K-x, what other model of Pentax cameras does the K-x compare to, excluding K-7.

I really like the performance of K-x, but I would like something that is weather resistant.

Also, I want to add that I will be taking this camera on a 8800 mile trip from Chicago to Alaska on a motorcycle, so top priority quality images and then it should work in cold temps and some rain.

Thank you.

Last edited by pakuchn; 12-18-2009 at 07:28 PM.
12-18-2009, 07:31 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Huh? Just visit the Pentax USA home page and look at the current model line up.
12-18-2009, 08:33 PM   #3
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
There's nothing really like the K-x in WR form.
The K20D and K7 will be as close as you get, but are quite different cameras in so many ways.
12-18-2009, 08:42 PM   #4
Veteran Member

If those are your requirements, just get a k7 and be done with it; that is the only model guaranteed to function in cold, and is weather sealed. the k20 would probably do, but no cold weather function guarantee is made for that model.

12-18-2009, 08:42 PM   #5

Original Poster
Ash,

You know what I dont understand, I dont understand why people are saying that K-x is so great, but it costs 50% less then other newer DSLR.
12-19-2009, 06:24 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
It has a sensor with great ISO capabilities. (That is, you can use high iso's in low light, and your pics will show minimal or no noise.) Small body + almost all the basic function you'd like.
12-19-2009, 02:45 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
The K-x *is* great. It costs less than other cameras because it's missing quite a few features that are common found in higher-level models (eg, pentaprism viewfinder, weather sealing, second control wheel, more external controls, ability to use a battery grip, socket for wired remote, focus point indicators in viewfinder, etc). Those features aren't important to everyone, so the K-x does make a lot of sense for a lot of people.

If you want weather sealing specifically, though, the only options are K-7, K20D, K200D, and K10D. Of those, the K200D is limited in some of the same other ways as the K-x - it's sort of a step between the K-x and the others. Long discontinued, but still possible to find here and there (especially used).

12-19-2009, 03:43 PM   #8

Original Poster
Marc,

Which model offers K-x image quality in a K-7 body and features?
12-19-2009, 03:51 PM   #9
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by pakuchn Quote
Marc,

either

a) you are partially retarded and are unable to grasp the concept that there is no such camera at the moment, or

b) you are simply trolling, or

c) both of the above.

I'm going for a partially retarded troll. I choose C. lock it in.
12-19-2009, 04:00 PM   #10
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by 68deluxe Quote
either

a) you are partially retarded and are unable to grasp the concept that there is no such camera at the moment, or

b) you are simply trolling, or

c) both of the above.

I'm going for a partially retarded troll. I choose C. lock it in.

get out of bed on the wrong side did you ?
12-19-2009, 04:18 PM   #11

Original Poster
68deluxe,

I was basically asking which of the models which Marc has listed offer similar quality as K-x and features of K-7 BUT from the list of models which he has listed. I fully understand that there is no such camera, but I'm sure there is one that is close, similar.

Two - This is a free forum, "YOU" as a user of this forum have an option to read my threads or not to read them and I as a user of the forum have an option to post anything that I want to post as long as I respect the PentuxForums.com policy.

I was only asking a question, I was trying to learn and if you don’t like that I ask questions, don’t read them, simply omit them. In no way have a showed the forum any disrespect, I was simply trying to learn from people that know more about this then me that is all. Did you really have to write such comments to someone who is just trying to learn?
12-19-2009, 04:25 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by pakuchn Quote
Marc,
Since the K-x is the only camera with that particular sensor, it is the only camera with it's *exact* IQ, period. All other cameras outperform it by tiny amounts in some ways, and the K-x outperforms all other cameras by tiny amounts in other ways. But it *just doesn't matter*. As has been explained about a zillions times, as far as IQ goes, the difference we are talking about here are *infinitessimal*. There are basically no IQ differences between cameras worth worrying about for 99% of people. As I believe I've said, it's like worrying about a difference in fuel efficiency between different cars of 0.001 MPG. So *all* of the cameras have the IQ of the K-x to the extent any of this matters, and your question reduces to, which camera has the K-7 body and features, and the answer is: the K-7. The K20D if you don't need video and don't mind a few other small "limitations". And I use tht word loosely. *All* of these cameras are *far* more sophisticated devices thn anything most professional photographers have ever had access to in the entire history of photography. It's crazy to imagine that one "needs" such-and-such a feature that didn't even exist before a few years ago.

So again, if you need the features of the K-7, get the K7. If you'd be satisfied with the features of the K20D but nothing lower, get the K20D. If you'd be satisfied with the features of the K200D but nothing lower, get the K200D. If the features of the K-x are sufficient, get the K-x. They are *all* capable of taking fantastic pictures.
12-19-2009, 04:28 PM   #13

Original Poster
Yes, I think he did get out of bed on the wrong side.

He still has much to learn about meeting people online and doing something good, teaching others and feeling good about it.
12-19-2009, 04:29 PM   #14
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Click reviews> pentax cameras in the navbar and you'll see a list of all Pentax dslrs! More comprehensive than Pentax's site, although I'm sure you'd only be interested in the kx/k7/k20
12-19-2009, 04:30 PM   #15

Original Poster
Thank you Marc, now I understand.

I'm glad I was able to learn the differences between the models.