Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-22-2009, 02:00 PM   #1

k-x timelapse

Hello
Is it possible to do timelapse with the k-x?
i know there is no option in-body like the k-7..... but is there a specific remote to use with the k-x to do timelapse? any help would be much appreciated!!!

12-22-2009, 02:51 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Welcome to the Forums! - Normally, I would refer you to a device such as

Opteka Timer Remote Control for Digital SLR Cameras

but that is for a wired interface, and the KX body does not support that, only the IR. I have never really come across an intervalometer that is IR based. I understand that Pentax wants to tier their various camera bodies, however in this case leaving off the wired interface I think is somewhat self defeating. The wired interface was on the K100 and K200 and I also think the KM/2000. Wired and IR are also used on the K10, K20 and K7.

Another way is to potentially use the USB interface, however I understand that the Pentax Remote Assistant does not work with the KX.

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-news-rumors/73954-k-x-remote-software.html

Back to the IR interface, I did a search - it appears others have considered it, but I really did not find anything....

IR intervalometer slr - Google Search

infrared intervalometer slr - Google Search

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&client=firefox-a&rls=org.mozilla%3Aen-US%...&aq=f&oq=&aqi=

That was the long answer - the short answer seems to be no.

Last edited by interested_observer; 12-22-2009 at 03:12 PM.
12-26-2009, 09:34 AM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

It looks like I was wrong. I just ran across this device and it does IR along with wired. The IR feature is oriented towards the older *ist Pentax line, however Pentax's own IR controller works across all models (the *ist and the K model cameras), so I would think that this should also work, however I would either call or email them a question.

Pclix LT Introduction and click on compatible camera models
Pclix LT Custom Cables Look at the first table.

It looks like they have cables that run from the unit to someplace near the IR sensor on the camera, but that is only a guess.

Its a tad expensive, however it appears that this may be a solution for time lapsed photography with the KX.

12-28-2009, 02:06 AM   #4

Original Poster
thank v much for your answer...
i ran across this pclix site a little while ago, but i didnt pay attention to it.
maybe you are right but it felt a bit strange to be able to do timelapse with an IR remote at the time i saw the site (my guess).
Anyway thank you again for you answer. i ll send them an email to clarify this matter!
Happy new year, all the best!!

12-28-2009, 03:24 AM   #5
tux
Forum Member

surely time-lapse would be trivial to add to a new firmware ? I cant think of any hardware limitations, just a missing software feature.
12-28-2009, 05:46 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
yeah, it is just a software limitation and probably deliberate to give people an extra reason to buy a k7.
12-28-2009, 06:30 AM   #7

QuoteOriginally posted by WerTicus Quote
yeah, it is just a software limitation and probably deliberate to give people an extra reason to buy a k7.
The interval function in the K-7 isn't much of a reason. It only takes 99 images AFAIK.

A remote control or wire release is the way to go.

12-28-2009, 06:35 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by le0n Quote
Hello
The smartest solution will be a freeware application, assuming you still have an old PDA sitting around -- now that we all moved to smartphones

Remote Control For Pentax Windows Mobile phone Pocket PC freeware software mobile download

There was a thread here in PF but cannot find it ...
12-28-2009, 08:27 AM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Pclix and IR support for Pentax KX

Morning, I sent an email to PCLIX and they have responded......

First off, thanks very much for your message and also for your interest in my product the Pclix LT. In answer to your questions I would say the following. Your camera the Pentax KX can only be triggered using infrared light which the Pclix is able to do. We sell our C-100 optical infrared cable ($22 USD) which is compatible with the Pentax KX and all other cameras which are also triggered using infrared light. Basically the cable at one end plugs into the Pclix while the other gets taped directly overtop of the infrared receiver on your camera. Not using a bad-aid as you suggest but a few small pieces of black electrical tape. The advantage to the black tape is that it is fully opaque and leaves no visible trace once removed. I have hundreds of clients using this exact setup all over the world with great success. If you would like to speak on the phone regarding the use of the Pclix with your Pentax KX I would be more than happy to do so. I'll add this camera model to the website in the next few days, thanks for pointing this model out. If you have any other questions email anytime or call me in Toronto, Canada (EST) at 1-416-948-3081. Thanks again. Hope all is well

ciao
paul cormack
Timelapse Photography using the Pclix LT and the digital camera you already own.

please visit our user gallery
Pclix LT Time-lapse User Gallery

visit Pclix on Facebook

On 2009-12-26, at 12:33 PM, wrote:

> Good Morning,
>
> Just a question and a possible suggestion. Pentax in their infinite wisdom has chosen to only have IR support on their KX model - for remote control. I see that Pclix supports IR for the Pentax *ist line. Pentax's IR unit is supported across its entire camera body line (*ist through the K bodies). So does the Pclix support the K line, i.e., the KX?
>
> If so, could you update your website with some information to that effect, and include some details on how the unit works in the IR mode? In particular the IR connection to the camera. I see you have IR cables, but how do they connect with the camera - a band-aid holding the cable over the IR sensor or ...??
>
> Thanks,
02-28-2010, 10:29 AM   #10

Photos: Albums
PClix for Pentax Kx timelapse.

QuoteOriginally posted by le0n Quote
Hello
i know there is no option in-body like the k-7..... but is there a specific remote to use with the k-x to do timelapse? any help would be much appreciated!!!

I bought the PClix to use with my Kx for astrophotography. It basically works fine. It can be used wireless, like a TV remote, but for long term astrophotography, it's useful to use their optical fiber connector so that the IR signal is always right at the sensor. I am not thrilled with the connection ("use a piece of electrical tape to hold the optical fiber over the sensor.") This is fine for a while, at least in dry conditions, but if you get a lot of dew, the optical fiber has been known to come loose from the tape. I think I will try to fab a slip with Kydex.

In fairness to the people at PClix, I haven't given this feedback to them yet.
03-01-2010, 03:27 PM   #11

Do you want to do something like this? YouTube - Time Lapse ????????????????
I have no idea how this guy did it, and he hasn't asnwered any questions yet...
03-01-2010, 11:44 PM   #12

QuoteOriginally posted by Ed Flanders Quote
Do you want to do something like this? YouTube - Time Lapse ????????????????
I have no idea how this guy did it, and he hasn't asnwered any questions yet...
Unless he did it manually, I don't see any other way of doing it than with a remote control, or wire release, that works with IR and can be set up to do it automatically.

As mentioned above, this works for the K-x: https://www.pclix.com/shopping/shopdisplayproducts.asp?search=yes&bc=no
03-07-2010, 06:43 AM   #13

The strangest thing is that the ORIGINAL K-x spec INCLUDED timelapse in the firmware! They even had it featured on the fancy flash website that was up before the body was released... Then they scrapped it for some reason!!
03-07-2010, 07:44 AM   #14

no help from Pentax

FYI I actually wrote Pentax about this, and got a reply from some upper-level manager who basically said the flash intro on the website that mentioned time lapse was in error, and that he'd pass along the suggestion. Which is code language for "don't expect this any time soon in a firmware update." I imagine they are reserving it for the next steps up the Pentax line.
03-07-2010, 03:24 PM   #15

This is my solution, too, except since my old PDA's were Palm rather than Windows, I can still use it on my smartphone (Palm Treo 755p), which I believe was the last Palm smartphone to have an IR port. The IR port distance isn't very good on the Treo, strangely it works from BEHIND the K-X (must be bouncing off of something). The software I'm using is called Novii Remote Deluxe, and it was/is not freeware, but it was very popular for Palm PDA owners so if you still have a Palm PDA you might have Novii. Back when customizable universal remotes used to cost $4,000 (not kidding or exaggerating) my Palm Tungsten|C and Novii did the same job with my extensive home entertainment system for $30.

I have the IR profile for Pentax cameras for Novii if anyone wants it.

QuoteOriginally posted by falconeye Quote
The smartest solution will be a freeware application, assuming you still have an old PDA sitting around -- now that we all moved to smartphones

Remote Control For Pentax Windows Mobile phone Pocket PC freeware software mobile download

There was a thread here in PF but cannot find it ...