Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-23-2009, 07:54 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Are we seeing a pattern? K-x soft with shutter speeds around 1/100 to 1/200?

I know, I know, it's totally nuts. I seriously doubt it myself but in one day I have seen three guys complaining of the same thing and they don't appear to be all in cahoots. Kinda weird though huh?

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-dslr-discussion/84153-k-x-soft-images-2.html

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-dslr-discussion/84344-k-x-throughl...pointed-3.html

p.s the first thread has one guy mention the problem an danother with soft images in the same shutter speed range without saying he thinks that's the issue. Then the guy in the second thread ..... really, why so soft?

12-23-2009, 08:44 PM   #2
Inactive Account

Mine seem to be soft between 1/50 to about 1/160 or so with SR on. Below that they seem to be as sharp as any I've taken with other cameras and above that are also sharp. I will be doing some anecdotal testing with SR on and off to see if it contributes to lack of sharpness between those shutter speeds using the 18-55 lens and an f stop around 8 to 11, which should be good with the kit lens.
12-23-2009, 08:46 PM   #3

Photos: Albums
My K-x has no such kind of problem. It was front focus though. Got it fixed with debug mode.
12-23-2009, 09:41 PM   #4

My kx works fine at 1/125

have very sharp results in that range as well as at other shutter speeds.

I shoot mostly with manual focus lenses but did try the kit lens when I first got the camera and those results were good as well.

I am seeing no problem with sharpness at any shutter speed and the SR seems to work very well.

Leonard

12-23-2009, 10:08 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Alfisti Quote
I know, I know, it's totally nuts. I seriously doubt it myself but in one day I have seen three guys complaining of the same thing and they don't appear to be all in cahoots. Kinda weird though huh?

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-dslr-discussion/84153-k-x-soft-images-2.html

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-dslr-discussion/84344-k-x-throughl...pointed-3.html

p.s the first thread has one guy mention the problem an danother with soft images in the same shutter speed range without saying he thinks that's the issue. Then the guy in the second thread ..... really, why so soft?
Check the Join Dates of these posters, and read the entire threads before you attribute a fault to the camera. Three posts, same exact issue, first post, unresponsive when asked for more detail.

Not accusing, but questioning whether it is advisable to be feeding the . .. . thread.
12-23-2009, 10:26 PM   #6

I'm having the same problem although I am new here, I did previously own a canon xsi for a while, then switched to a k20d and never had as much trouble getting sharp shots as i have with the k-x. I changed multiple variables excluding the shutter speed which never crossed my mind with SR on, activated, and holding as still as possible at 1/100 to 1/125. I tried with the 18-55, 50-200, changed the aperature, levels of zoom, iso, etc etc.
12-24-2009, 08:10 AM   #7

you may want to get a tripod, and mount the camera on it. Turn off SR, and shoot with normal AF and LV AF. If both of the two pics are blurry, the problem should be in the lens. If LV sharp, but AF blurry, that's front/back focus problem. If both are sharp, problem is in the body or your hands.

QuoteOriginally posted by harleynitelite Quote
I'm having the same problem although I am new here, I did previously own a canon xsi for a while, then switched to a k20d and never had as much trouble getting sharp shots as i have with the k-x. I changed multiple variables excluding the shutter speed which never crossed my mind with SR on, activated, and holding as still as possible at 1/100 to 1/125. I tried with the 18-55, 50-200, changed the aperature, levels of zoom, iso, etc etc.

12-24-2009, 09:04 AM   #8
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
Check the Join Dates of these posters, and read the entire threads before you attribute a fault to the camera. Three posts, same exact issue, first post, unresponsive when asked for more detail.

Not accusing, but questioning whether it is advisable to be feeding the . .. . thread.
There can be many reasons for soft images. Being that the speeds mentioned are relatively slow, I would suspect motion blur. Also SR isn't a cure all. I didn't see any real examples in the posts linked to.
12-24-2009, 09:14 AM   #9
Veteran Member

mono,

I think you nailed the problem on the head!
12-24-2009, 01:29 PM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter

It would be interesting if one of the mods picked up on this and checked to see if the complaints are all coming from the same IP address....
12-24-2009, 01:57 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Hummmmm.....

Some of the complaints just might be justified, I stumbled upon a thread at another Pentax site.

Nasty K-x mirror slap problem... - Photo.net Pentax Forum
12-24-2009, 02:18 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Iīm assuming that Iīm the "unresponsive" one. My apologies, Iīm currently travelling in south america and canīt always respond quickly. Nonetheless, I have been a member here for a good while and am a site supporter, so I see no reason why I shouldnīt be in good standing in that regard.

In response to the request for more detail, I am certainly willing to post test shots when I have the ability to do so (in about a month) but this is not my imagination, nor is it my technique; at shutter speeds between 1/100th and 1/200 my K-x produces visible motion blur. Likely not visible in prints smaller than 8x10, but there shouldnīt be any at all. I did state in the other threads that this may be a problem only affecting certain samples (such as my own). I have been using SLRs (film and digital) for quite a while and have never had any problems with taking sharp photos at focal lengths between 18-55mm at those shutter speeds with any previous camera. When I turn the SR off and shoot at those shutter speeds, the problem dissapears.

Donīt get me wrong, Iīm not attacking the K-x in any way. Itīs quite possibly my favorite camera ever (the K20D is my other favorite), itīs just that this little problem exists, and itīs generally easy enough to work around, but itīd be nice if it didnīt exist at all.

When I get back from South America, expect some example images, as well as some images of the amazing scenery around here. :-)

So please donīt dismiss this as being some sort of anti-K-x conspiracy fed by trolls. Itīs quite possible that this problem is only affecting a limited number of K-xīs, but for those of us with one of them, the problem is a reality and can cause unsatisfactory photos in certain situations (one canīt always keep a close watch on the shutter speed). Iīve had to retake photos many times after noticing that the shutter speed was at 1/120 or 1/160 and zooming in to find that indeed, motion blur is visible. Often as not I actually close the aperture to achieve a slower shutter speed; 1/50, for example, rarely yields blurred photos.
12-24-2009, 02:37 PM   #13
Veteran Member

This got me concerned enough to do my own tests -
out of 8 shots at 1/100sec with K-x SR on - NONE showed any blur -

overall shot with crop area shown

100% actual pixel crop (EXIF still attached) -

sorry about the noise/grain -
it's not particularly bright out today and to get 1/100sec the ISO was 3200 -
and it's cold out too, so I am not exactly the most "still" I could be......
So although this is casual/ad-hoc, it is pretty "severe"/worst case - for me -
so for my K-x there does not seem to be any problem with the SR at 1/100sec.

EDIT to ADD -

I thought I'd also shoot at 1/160sec SR on - out of 6 shots - again NONE showed blur.
The light had dropped even more so to shoot 1/160sec at ISO3200 meant my shots were actually underexposed - all I did was to increase brightness PP -

So at 1/160sec also my K-x with SR does not seem to show any blur problems......

Last edited by UnknownVT; 12-24-2009 at 04:43 PM.
12-24-2009, 04:23 PM   #14
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by er1kksen Quote
Iīm assuming that Iīm the "unresponsive" one.
IIRC you are well known here. My concern is PF's Google rating is so high that virtually every thread is number one or two in a search. It is not beyond imagination that an industrial saboteur would make multiple first-posts on a subject to "seed" a fictitious issue.

My suggestion is to respond to legitimate information, responses and discussion but to avoid pushing the thread up by entering K-x is great "Me Too" responses.
12-24-2009, 04:49 PM   #15
Inactive Account

It's not a fabricated issue for me and I'm not a noob with an slr in my hand. I've been shooting film slr's since '71 and digital since the D40 came out. I AM new with the K-x and haven't ruled out pilot error with the camera. But I do have a definite softness in the shutter range I mentioned above and will get to the root cause. If it's me - I'll change my methods. If not, I'll shoot at slightly higher or slower speeds. No biggie.