Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-19-2010, 10:05 PM   #1

Photos: Albums
K-x continuous shooting problem.

The K-x advertises 4.7 frames per second up to 17 frames on continuous HI mode shooting JPEGs. I cannot get anywhere near this speed with my brand new K-x. I get 3 shots in either continuous HI or continuous LOW followed by maybe 1 frame per 2 seconds. I have this without flash, dropped the quality to 2MP, and down to 1 star quality and it is still this slow.

What am I missing? Why am I not getting anywhere near the advertised 4.7 frames per second?

Thanks!

01-19-2010, 10:17 PM   #2
Damn Brit

It's possible the batteries may have something to do with it. Which ones are you using?
01-19-2010, 10:33 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
which lens are you using? turn off the lens correction thing and try that...
01-19-2010, 10:33 PM   #4

Original Poster
Tried several different batteries... Lithium, Eneloops, other batteries.

Just found this blog about the same issue:

Eolake Stobblehouse thoughts: Shooting in continuous mode

Apparently, it is caused by the automatic Lens Correction settings being on. The camera can only shoot 3 frames with these settings on before it has to apply the processing to the frames. By turning these off, I am able to get 8 continual shots with no slowing at all at high speed and then the speed drops off to the lower continual shooting speed indefinitely.

If I release the shutter at or before 8 shots, and press the shutter again after waiting a second or 2, I can get 8 more HI speed continual shots before it will drop off again.

Can any other K-x owners verify that this is normal operation for all K-x cameras.

I have tested it with Eneloops, Sony 2500 maH rechargeables, and Energizer Lithium batteries. As for SD cards, I tested it with an 8gb Class 6 card and 2 seperate 2gb Class 4 cards... same results with all battery/SD card combinations.

01-19-2010, 10:40 PM   #5

Original Poster
Lowering the MP and quality of the jpeg down to 2MP and 1 star with all in-camera processing turned off, batteries fully charged, new class 6 SD card will fetch me 12 images at high speed and then drop off to low speed. In RAW, I can only get 4 or 5.

I would really like to know if anyone is getting the advertised 4.7 fps up to 17 frames and how they are doing so.

01-19-2010, 10:40 PM   #6
Damn Brit

I'm curious as to what are you using continuous frame shooting for? Pentax has never been the choice for those who have that as a priority.

Now that Pentax has got the FPS rate up (supposedly) I'm interested in how it's being utilised.
01-19-2010, 10:55 PM   #7

Original Poster
I mainly use continual shooting for shooting motorcycle or car racing at high speeds. I have also found it to be useful photographing airplanes, wildlife, and runway fashion.

01-19-2010, 11:10 PM   #8
hcc
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by JP_Seattle Quote
The K-x advertises 4.7 frames per second up to 17 frames on continuous HI mode shooting JPEGs. I cannot get anywhere near this speed with my brand new K-x. I get 3 shots in either continuous HI or continuous LOW followed by maybe 1 frame per 2 seconds. I have this without flash, dropped the quality to 2MP, and down to 1 star quality and it is still this slow.

What am I missing? Why am I not getting anywhere near the advertised 4.7 frames per second?

Thanks!
JP,
I do a lot of continuous shooting with my a K-7. I found that the best settings for continuous shooting (Hi) are:

- remove all post-processing (especially lens correction) in your camera settings; extremely important because the PP slows down the writing speed; Do check that lens correction is Off

- use a good SD card; for example a Class 10 30 Mb/s; in continuous shooting [Hi], you will need have 5 files per seconds to transfer to your card;

- do not saturate the buffer: select a file format (and size) that allows you some continuous shooting without saturating the buffer; for example, with a class 10 SD card, ensure that the file size is less than 6 Mb to achieve 5 fps; I use myself JPEG 6Mp [***] file format with my Sandisk SD class 10 card;

- do not use RAW in continuous shooting [Hi]: you will fill up the buffer after a couple of shots.

- you must set the camera in AF.S or Manual focus during continuous shooting [Hi]. Do not use AF.C.

Using continuous shooting [Hi] with JPEG 6 Mp [***], I can shot more than 20 s at 5 fps with my K-7 and I am sure that I can go for 60 s easily. You should be able to do the same with your K-x.

Please do check that the Lens Correction and AF settings, these are common errors from many Pentax dSLR users.

I hope that the comments will help. Good shooting...

Last edited by hcc; 01-19-2010 at 11:13 PM. Reason: Typos
01-20-2010, 12:01 AM   #9
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
thank you for this post and all the answers
i was getting frustrated
even a Class 6 SD card would do 1 frame every 2 seconds
turned lens correction off and now I get the advertised frame rates

Last edited by sir.b; 01-20-2010 at 08:13 AM.
01-20-2010, 12:17 AM   #10
Damn Brit

QuoteOriginally posted by JP_Seattle Quote
I mainly use continual shooting for shooting motorcycle or car racing at high speeds. I have also found it to be useful photographing airplanes, wildlife, and runway fashion.
Thanks.
01-20-2010, 11:23 AM   #11

Original Poster
Thanks for sharing your knowledge on the matter. I am pretty satisfied with the results I am getting now that I have turned all the in-camera post processing off.