Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-14-2010, 09:54 PM   #1
Closed Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
User Mode: Ideas for improvement?

I'm thoroughly familiar with the User Mode on the K20D and have read about the one on the K-7, so hopefully I don't suggest something that has already been changed!

Anyhow, I'm a User Mode junkie and I often flip to it for certain shooting situations, but I believe it's one area that could stand for some vast improvement. Here are some of my ideas for the User Mode of the K-7 successor:
  • Place 3 User Modes on the Mode dial; it seems that there's enough room to cram an extra two onto it. This should be plenty enough for User Mode junkies like me.
  • Allow each User Mode to save all possible camera settings. I noticed in the K-7 manual that there's a much greater number of settings that can be saved compared to the K20D - a definite improvement - but does this include everything (including all Custom settings?)
Perhaps my greatest pet peeve with the User Mode as it is now is how when I change something while in that mode, say the WB setting, the new setting is lost when I turn the camera off then on again. I realize that this is how both the K20D and K-7 work, but I want to be able to "save on the fly", so ...
  • Allow a setting to be changed and saved while in a User Mode instead of having to switch to another mode, say Av, then save the change using the Menu. For example, if I'm in User Mode 2 and I've set it to capture RAW+ but I realize over time that I want it to save JPEG only, I should be able to select this from within User Mode 2 and have it saved instead of switching to, say, Tv mode, changing the setting there, then having to save the change through the Menu. (I hope this makes sense.) And that change should remain after I turn the camera off then on again.
Well, those are my ideas. Anyone else have any?

Last edited by enoxatnep; 02-14-2010 at 11:25 PM.
02-15-2010, 05:32 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I haven't tried user mode but like the way you're thinking. Here's a question which may turn out to be a suggestion. can you include "Multi-Exposure ON" in your user mode? If not, then that would be my suggestion.
02-15-2010, 06:01 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

when I look at it, I think user mode has all it needs. User mode is not a programmable one button switch to some obscure setup, but a switch from any of the normal shooting modes to one specific setup.

I use it for different lighting when shooting somewhere that may have 2 lighting setups, specifically indoors and outdoors.

you can set WB, and ISO in user mode independant of any other mode, and then when you enter that situation just switch,
02-15-2010, 06:20 AM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Lowell Goudge Quote
when I look at it, I think user mode has all it needs. User mode is not a programmable one button switch to some obscure setup, but a switch from any of the normal shooting modes to one specific setup.
I would really like to see multiple user modes. I wouldn't even care if there's one dial position and multiple settings selected with the Info button. In fact, if they could be named by the user and show up in a nice list, that'd be superior to "USER1", "USER2", etc., on the dial.

02-15-2010, 10:21 AM   #5
Closed Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by mattdm Quote
I would really like to see multiple user modes. I wouldn't even care if there's one dial position and multiple settings selected with the Info button. In fact, if they could be named by the user and show up in a nice list, that'd be superior to "USER1", "USER2", etc., on the dial.
Wow, that's an awesome idea! I only hope that someone working for Pentoya actually looks for/comes across ideas like this.
02-15-2010, 04:37 PM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by enoxatnep Quote
Wow, that's an awesome idea! I only hope that someone working for Pentoya actually looks for/comes across ideas like this.
No hardware changes, and just a few more bytes of nvram — there's probably that to spare already. So yeah, I hope someone from Pentax is listening.

Any camera suggestions I have are 100% license and royalty free.
02-15-2010, 04:50 PM   #7
Veteran Member

User Mode

Would be nice to be able to enter lens data(for us forgetful types) were one
would like, doesnt have to be EXIF, just note to self .