Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-25-2006, 02:24 PM   #1

Photos: Gallery
K10D photo indexing, mixing cards from different cameras?

Hi All,

For those that have a K10D and also have an older Pentax D-SLR such as the DS is there any issues with using the same SD card in both, is the numbering independant of the card used and completely controlled by the camera?

I know that some Nikon users have had new cameras but because they have used cards in other cameras the photo numbers have become screwed up.

Regards.

Pete D

11-25-2006, 03:18 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by peted Quote
Hi All,

For those that have a K10D and also have an older Pentax D-SLR such as the DS is there any issues with using the same SD card in both, is the numbering independant of the card used and completely controlled by the camera?

I know that some Nikon users have had new cameras but because they have used cards in other cameras the photo numbers have become screwed up.

Regards.

Pete D
I can't give you a for sure answer, but I believe that the K100 and k10 use the FAT 32 system (the same as the fat 32 table that windows 98, me does) so technically they should be able to read and write on the same card.
only someone who has both will be able to know for sure

hope this helps

randy
11-25-2006, 03:33 PM   #3

Original Poster
Not quite what I was asking. What they have found with some cameras is that the numbers of the photos get screwed up. A new camera starts showing that it has taken 7,000 shots.
11-25-2006, 05:38 PM   #4
Veteran Member

I've never had it happen myself, but I think that it happens only if you put a card with images still on it in a different camera. It'll pick up where the numbers on the card leave off. I can't imagine why, it seems kind of stupid, really. I wonder if it happens if you put the card in just to reformat it? Anybody know?

Julie

11-25-2006, 07:51 PM   #5
Inactive Account

I do not understand how that would be a problem. We have put cards back in our camera after using another card and the sequencing in the camera remains the same. It does not go by the last number used on the card.

For example, on location shooting and printing. We alternate cards to print as we go, but the photography continues without missing a beat. Yet, we cannot delete the images from the cards since we are on location. (Wish we had those portable, stand alone hard drives, but...)

Now, if someone could just come up with a way for us to interchange card types... We use the *ist-D and the *ist-DL. The D uses CF cards. The DL uses SD cards. Now, since the K100D and K10D use SD cards, we are trying to make due with the 4.25 Gigabytes in CF cards we have. When we buy new cards, we get SD cards now - thinking ahead to the K10D upgrade wishes. We had 3.5 Gigs in SD cards (plus the 64MB that came out of my old Kodak 2.0MP camera) until tonight. I just ordered 4Gigs in SD cards with a really sweet price and rebates on top of that! (Final $ after rebate for (2) 2GB SD cards = ~$40!!!).

Faith
11-27-2006, 05:02 PM   #6
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by sandpiper6 Quote
Now, if someone could just come up with a way for us to interchange card types...
Do you mean something like this?
11-27-2006, 10:36 PM   #7

Original Poster
The reason I ask is that I have seen it being a problem with the Nikon D50 and D70. I will have a quick experiment when I get my K10D anyway and let you all know.

A friend here in Canerra went and picked up his K10D this afternoon so I might ask him tomorrow.

11-28-2006, 07:29 AM   #8
Veteran Member

There have been reports of cameras defaulting to the "next number" if a card is put in that still has images on it. not if the images have been removed. If you stick a card that has IMGP1000 still on it, the numbering system could go to 1001, even if it is a brand new camera. This "info" was gleaned from past posters at dpreview. Think the initial ones were on D to DS card swaps. There was one person w/ a brand new K10 who's images started at something like 7000. That was a suspected cause but think it remains unproven.
Actually have been thinking about this because I tend to dump all RAW's to one folder. If I change models I may have to rethink this due to conflicts in numbering as well as the above mentiond possible issue. Best bet is not to mix
cards/cameras that still have images on them.
11-28-2006, 09:21 AM   #9

I think this is the case - at least for the DS. When I had my DS and flashed it with the latest firmware, it started numbering pics over from the beginning. Well, since I had already taken numerous photos with it earlier and didn't want to have duplicate filenames, I found out that if I put an existing photo on the card(say number 2000) and then started taking photos - it would continue the numbering from the next available (2001).

I am not sure what happens if I renumber a photo on a card to some random value and then put it in my camera. I suspect it will look on the card and start numbering based on the highest value it sees.
11-28-2006, 11:29 AM   #10
Veteran Member

I don't know about Pentax, but it happened with our Canon cameras. Left the house without a card for the 30D (it was still in the computer), so took the card out of the Rebel (with pictures on it), and the numbering on the 30D got messed up and picked up where the Rebel left off.
11-28-2006, 12:38 PM   #11

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jdmccol Quote
I think this is the case - at least for the DS. When I had my DS and flashed it with the latest firmware, it started numbering pics over from the beginning. Well, since I had already taken numerous photos with it earlier and didn't want to have duplicate filenames, I found out that if I put an existing photo on the card(say number 2000) and then started taking photos - it would continue the numbering from the next available (2001).

I am not sure what happens if I renumber a photo on a card to some random value and then put it in my camera. I suspect it will look on the card and start numbering based on the highest value it sees.
I did not see this problem on my DS when I have flashed the firmware, always kept correct numbering.
11-28-2006, 08:04 PM   #12
Forum Member

My understanding is that the camera will go to the HIGHEST common denominator (or whatever you call it).

If you take 10 pics on one card then switch to another new card then it will continue from #11. If you shoot from 11 - 20 on card #2 then put the first card back in (with pics 1-10 on it) it will continue from #21.

However, if the new card already has a picture number 27 on it then the camera will say "oops I guess I should be up there" and go from 28 on.

QuoteOriginally posted by peted Quote
I did not see this problem on my DS when I have flashed the firmware, always kept correct numbering.
In the situation quoted above, did you still have pictures on your card? this would explain why it continued with the correct numbering.

Just my thoughts gleaned from others' posts during the whole "firmware upgrade" craze.
11-28-2006, 09:37 PM   #13

I have had this very thing happen to me with my *istD. I ran out of space on one card and stuck another in that already had pictures on it from some time prior. I had since rolled over back to the beginning and the card bumped the numbering up like 5000. I could never figure out how to get it back to where it was before the change. It was very annoying to find that I couldn't set the numbering back to where I wanted. I'm guessing that this is still the behavior.
11-29-2006, 12:28 AM   #14

QuoteOriginally posted by jeffkrol Quote
There have been reports of cameras defaulting to the "next number" if a card is put in that still has images on it. not if the images have been removed.
Hi - newbie here with my first post. I'm the "friend in Canberra" who collected his K10D yesterday. (Hi Pete!)

And the situation Jeff described is exactly what has happened! I put in a card that still had images taken with my wife's DL, and the camera is now numbering images from 2300 or thereabouts.

I've tried deleting all the images but one, and renaming that to 0100, but the numbering has continued in the 2300 sequence. Looks like I'm stuck with it! If anyone finds a way to zero the count, I'd love to hear it.
11-29-2006, 02:11 AM   #15

Original Poster
There is a "reset" in the menu, might investigate that later.

My Sigma flash is in need of an update to the firmware to work with the K10D, might see if they will give it to the rep for me to take with him next time he dropped in??