Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-21-2010, 10:09 AM   #1
Inactive Account

KX FIRMWARE UPDATE

We just received our RED KX... We are wondering about the firmware upgrade... A camera store told us DO NOT attempt to do the upgrade... just use the camera as it is...

Has anyone had any problems doing the upgrade...Is it 'idiot proof' for a beginner?

The battery level guage show red even with fully charged batteries....

Thanks in advance for the help

02-21-2010, 10:36 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by ANVILHEAD911 Quote
We just received our RED KX... We are wondering about the firmware upgrade... A camera store told us DO NOT attempt to do the upgrade... just use the camera as it is...

Has anyone had any problems doing the upgrade...Is it 'idiot proof' for a beginner?

The battery level guage show red even with fully charged batteries....

Thanks in advance for the help
I've now updated two K-xs without any problems. Just make sure you use good, fully charged batteries. I used the lithiums that came with the cameras. I then use Eneloops for shooting.
02-21-2010, 10:42 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by twokatmew Quote
I've now updated two K-xs without any problems. Just make sure you use good, fully charged batteries. I used the lithiums that came with the cameras. I then use Eneloops for shooting.
Just received the Eneloops, but not the K-x yet. Are you suggesting that when I do the firmware update that it might be problematic to use the Eneloops when doing so?

Thanks
Ben
02-21-2010, 10:44 AM   #4
Veteran Member

I've been meaning to ask this, but where is the link for the newest firmware update which also supposedly fixes low-shutter SR issues?

I do have the firmware which fixes the battery, but at some point, there were threads about a even newer japanse version wicch works on the SR.

Is that true? Where's the thread and link? I can't seem to find it, and serching for KX is not an option.

Thanks

BB

02-21-2010, 10:49 AM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by benjikan Quote
Just received the Eneloops, but not the K-x yet. Are you suggesting that when I do the firmware update that it might be problematic to use the Eneloops when doing so?
Not necessarily, but since I don't particularly want to "brick" my camera and have to send it back to Pentax for a non-warranty repair, I'd use either a power adapter or known-good lithiums. Since I don't own a power adapter, I used lithiums.

Perhaps this is being overly cautious, but I'd rather be safe than sorry.

BBear, I didn't know there was a newer firmware for the K-x. I just installed 1.01, which fixes the battery issue. Here's the link to the US support site, and it still has 1.01 as the latest firmware:

Pentax Support

Last edited by twokatmew; 02-21-2010 at 11:02 AM. Reason: fix typo
02-21-2010, 11:07 AM   #6
Veteran Member

First a WARNING to all potential firmware upgrades -

Only do the upgrade of firmware if the battery indicator shows Full Green, or if using the AC adaptor.

Do NOT under any circumstances try the upgrade if the battery indicator shows anything else - one is very likely to "Brick" the camera.

The suggestion of using the supplied Lithium AA batteries (fresh) is a good one - make sure the battery indicator is showing Full Green before proceeding.

QuoteOriginally posted by BBear Quote
I do have the firmware which fixes the battery, but at some point, there were threads about a even newer japanse version wicch works on the SR.
Is that true? Where's the thread and link? I can't seem to find it, and serching for KX is not an option.
ah... I had the same problem in searching -
the problem is that K-x is sometimes used interchangeably as Kx.
so try searching on "K-x" too.

But anyway to be helpful here are the relevant K-x firmware threads:

Can't find K-x Firmware 1.01.07

Kx 1.01 firmware checksums are different

K-x 1.01 firmware now available

the first gives the links.

Then there is:

New "silent" K-x firmware fixes SR blur problem

note: the last thread is in Pentax News and Rumors section
- so strictly it is a mere rumor/speculation -
but read the thread and decide.
02-21-2010, 11:10 AM   #7
Veteran Member

^^^^^ There is your answer. ^^^^^

Jason

02-21-2010, 11:11 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Sorry....

QuoteOriginally posted by BBear Quote
I've been meaning to ask this, but where is the link for the newest firmware update which also supposedly fixes low-shutter SR issues?

Oh sorry, I see you were looking for the Japan site. Here's the link:

Pentax Support - Japan - K-x firmware

They are also listing 1.01 as the latest. Sorry I don't know anything about the thread you mention.
02-21-2010, 12:25 PM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by UnknownVT Quote
Yep, that was the one, thanks!
12-12-2014, 08:41 AM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by TazmanDownunder Quote
Cheers Rob.

You realise you were replying to a thread that is over 4 years old. Half of the posters in that thread are probably long dead by now. Or have moved to other brands. Same difference, I guess.

PS - how's Wynyard nowadays. Been 10 years since I last visited.