Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
03-18-2010, 05:53 PM   #1
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
pentax k-x infrared intervalometer, anyone tried this one?

Hey everyone, new here. Been reading this forum for about a month researching about the k-x. I finally decided to buy it. Since then I've been reading around trying to figure out how to accomplish long time lapses with this camera without having to sit and press a button for every exposure. I stumbled across this gadget
Gentles Limited: News. It says its an infrared intervalometer that works with a variety of DSLRs, and the Pentax k-x is listed. If you go here: gentLED Camera Remote Control: Options and read down a little its called the gentled auto.

Just wondering if anyone has tried this or even heard of it?

Amazingly informative forum by the way!

03-19-2010, 12:22 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Haven't tried that device, but if it works as it says it does, it seems a bargain compared to the only other option I've come across to do the same:

Pclix LT Introduction
03-28-2010, 11:38 AM   #3
Banned

bonjour, je suis très intéressé par ce genre d'objet.
j'ai un Pentax K-x et je cherche un moyen de faire des Time Lapse, de prendre une photo toute les minutes par exemple.
cet objet ferait ça?
merci!
03-28-2010, 11:46 AM   #4
Veteran Member

I thought this one would be interesting and doesn't look hard to make...

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/camera-studio-accessories/94436-infrared-...-required.html

03-30-2010, 06:15 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Just a followup on this.

I ordered the gentled auto for Pentax and it arrived today from Scotland. It works fine with the K-x and operates just as described on their web site.

Using it was simple: open case > insert supplied battery > insert screws in case and tighten them up > flick switch On > point at camera.

There are two LED's on the front - a red LED that blinks out the timing, and another that I guess is the IR one. A small screw on the case is used to adjust the timing interval.

The timing interval is variable in 3 ranges:

By default (range 1) the repeat rate can be adjusted between 2 and 35 seconds - ie to fire the shutter once every 2 seconds, through to once every 35 seconds.

In range 2 the trigger interval is between 10 seconds to 4 minutes, and in range 3 the trigger interval can be between 1 minute and 30 minutes - ie one shot every 1 minute through to one shot every 30 minutes.

In range 3 the unit sends two triggers 1.5 seconds apart at every interval to wake up those cameras that have a sleep mode.

Switching between the interval ranges is a bit fiddly but not hard to do, involving opening the case and moving a small jumper over two pins on the circuit board to select the desired range. The supplied battery is rated to 500,000 triggers.

The unit is tiny and can be easily velcroed to the front of the camera using the supplied patches of adhesive velcro, or used from a distance of about 50cm from the front of the camera.

No time-lapse pictures yet but everything seems to work as described.

Last edited by rawr; 10-27-2010 at 11:40 AM. Reason: Tidied up the paragraph structure
10-26-2010, 07:12 AM   #6

Hi,
Just wondering to know if the gentled auto is working fine with Pentax k-x to take time-lapse photography. I am thinking of ordering one and would like to know the experience of someone in this forum who has tried it before. thanks in advance for your response

Regards,
Murali
10-27-2010, 10:15 AM - 1 Like   #7
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Well, to add to what rawr has said, it does work. It is a little tedious to use however. To change the interval you need to use a tiny screwdriver to turn a tiny screw. Its a guessing game as to what you're setting it to, just have to keep watching the blinking light. It does work though and is much cheaper than any other alternatives that I know of. Example timelapses using the gentled auto with the k-x:

10-27-2010, 11:37 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Cool timelapse.

A couple of questions, if I may:
- how did you do the AE metering for each scene? Was it just all on auto or did you have to AE lock each scene?
- ditto for the AF.
- how did you suspend the camera on the inside of the car in the car shots, or was there a tripod there?

Thanks.
10-28-2010, 06:46 AM   #9

Hi Thanatos, Thank you so much for the reply and the sample video