Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-27-2010, 01:25 AM   #1
Inactive Account

Pentax K-7 DIY split screen

I have found this DIY for pentax k-7 split screen..quite cool

you guys can see it at Pentax DSLR and can try it..

04-27-2010, 02:24 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Interesting. Honestly I would not do it for my K7, it was too expensive to try going DIY on it )
04-27-2010, 02:56 AM   #3
Inactive Account

Original Poster
i think can do for other model too..as long as the focusing screen is exchangeable
04-27-2010, 02:58 AM   #4
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
Did a DIY split screen for my K-7 and i am still not entirely sure about the accuracy of the manual focusing. somehow it seems the split screen is off a little and but i have no idea how i could fix that.

04-27-2010, 05:52 AM   #5
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by jan rinze Quote
Did a DIY split screen for my K-7 and i am still not entirely sure about the accuracy of the manual focusing. somehow it seems the split screen is off a little and but i have no idea how i could fix that.
Find LanceB's thread on shimming the screen. Your screen is likely too close to, or not far enough away from the prism (or it's in upside down). The result gives the Effect of front or back focusing.

04-27-2010, 04:05 PM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jan rinze Quote
You have to buy the shims from Pentax
04-29-2010, 11:56 AM   #7

I did it!

QuoteOriginally posted by v3t0 Quote
I have found this DIY for pentax k-7 split screen..quite cool

you guys can see it at Pentax DSLR and can try it..
Just made my own split screen for my K10 yesterday. Works perfectly

I dissected an old Pentax ME and cut its screen to fit. Sharpness is spot on, I'd say. The may be a tiny difference between AF an MF because of the AF adjustment I made on the camera, but both are within DOF.

That guy seems to work very precisely, mine looks far worse (but is fully functional). However, I can not recommend using scissors, I almost cracked mine while trying . Use sandpaper, a file or grind it.

Glad I tried, I almost can't remember how MF was possible without one!

04-29-2010, 12:01 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Anyone know how to take out the screen from a K1000? I can't seem to remove the top of the camera to get at the screen.
04-29-2010, 10:06 PM   #9
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Noisychip:
Just made my own split screen for my K10 yesterday. Works perfectly

I dissected an old Pentax ME and cut its screen to fit. Sharpness is spot on, I'd say. The may be a tiny difference between AF an MF because of the AF adjustment I made on the camera, but both are within DOF.

That guy seems to work very precisely, mine looks far worse (but is fully functional). However, I can not recommend using scissors, I almost cracked mine while trying . Use sandpaper, a file or grind it.

Glad I tried, I almost can't remember how MF was possible without one!
Glad to hear you made it and work perfectly. I think your scissors not good enough to cut thick plastic.

Now i also created my own grid using knife on my focusing screen..no need to buy expensive focusing screen with the grid..hehe