Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

View Poll Results: Is dust removal working for you?
Yes 3144.93%
No 3855.07%
Voters: 69. You may not vote on this poll

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-26-2007, 10:41 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Dust Removal working for you?

I realized today I have some pretty bad dust on the sensor, based on evals of pics taken with my new lens. Had it a few weeks I see now looking @ older pics. One bad one that was very visible in pictures. Thought @ 1st could'a been the lens. I changed it and dust remained exactly where it was befpre. I notice now I have it all over my screen or mirror too, and won't blow/vacuum off (I know it's the screen/mirror because it's dark spots that don't show up on the pictures taken).

Tried air pump and vacuum. Got rid of the big one but put a lot more smaller particles on the sensor (I know because I used different lenses to test and particles stay in one spot.) Hoping that at least the smaller ones will not be as visible in pix.

It's led me to the conclusion that dust removal from the sensor doesn't do too much if anything at all. You?

You know of any good reliable service to clean Pentax (if it matters) sensors and other internals reliably? I won't be able to use it before my trip to Africa. I'm 100% sure I'll need a good clean-out after anyway with all the dust people say is there.

If you don't know how to test for it, put your camera on Manual, smallest aperture opening, point up at a clear cloudless sky, set exposure time to give you 0 to +1 (or +2 perhaps even) exposure meter, and shoot it. Shoot a couple @ different exposures. Dust will display as dark spots that don't move as you switch from pic to pic.

07-26-2007, 10:53 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Have experienced similar. Time consuming doing the dust removals in image editors, - even went to the point of buying a sensor cleaning pen, though haven't tried it, as I was passing a camra store here in the UK who were offering a sensor cleaning service. Took the K100D in and it got done for me, at a cost of £40 (about 80$US). Am pleased/relieved I got it done, as my attempts resulted in what you have described.

But wondered a few days ago, while preparing some sandwiches of all things, that when the sensor is dusty again (and of course, it will be sooner or later) and am again facing the cost of the cleaning, whether i should try just placing some cling film (I think it is called 'wrap' in the USA) on the sensor and seeing what magic the power of static can do instead of air pressure. Anyone have any thoughts on this? Would you be willing to try it m8o (not at my liability you understand , while my sensor is clean?
07-26-2007, 01:17 PM   #3
baw

Have a look at this site.
Pretty much sums up all your options.

To check for dust, just create a white screen on your monitor (editor) and take a long exposure,
slowly MOVING your camera around, to blurr possible dust on your monitor. Dust shows up just nicely sharp.
07-26-2007, 01:33 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Excellent Site. Thanks baw.
Ahem...Anything similar on cleaning the focusing screen?

07-26-2007, 02:39 PM   #5

Photos: Gallery
The dust removal system on the K10D hasn't been the end of dust bunnies as I know them, but it's doing a good job. On the istDS (which doesn't have sensor cleaning) dust was bad. REALLY bad!
07-26-2007, 03:09 PM   #6
Inactive Account

I set my camera(K10D) to run dust removal every time on start up and it really does seem to help out alot better in that mode rather than running it once in awhile. Still I seem to have one stuborn spot that will not get lost and so ordered a kit and will give liquid cleaning a try when it arrives.
Kenn
07-26-2007, 03:39 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Since I have no point of reference, this being my first DSLR, I'm not sure how well it works. I'm not thrilled with the dust removal system. I bought a small blower back in November that worked fine until yesterday. I have been changing lenses a lot but the number of spots this time was more tnan ever before.

A bigger blower didn't get rid of them so decided to go the next step. Bought some q tips and Isopropyl alcohol 91%. Decided to try just the q types first and that did the job so no need to try the alcohol. Hope this keeps it clean and I don't have to try the alcohol.

Regards,

07-26-2007, 05:26 PM   #8
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by bt*ist Quote
On the istDS (which doesn't have sensor cleaning) dust was bad. REALLY bad!
Bit OT - but I had to clean my Ds the other for the first time ever - 2.5 years after I bought it, and many many lens changes in that period.
07-26-2007, 05:50 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Notice for the first time since buying the camera I have some spots. Tried the dust removal a few times no luck. Hit it with the blowe it did. So my answer. I think it is okay but not the best. I thik it is getting the little stuff but maybe the bigger spots stay.
07-26-2007, 05:56 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Think about it this way. How fast can you realistically shake the sensor with those magnets right? (weight of the sensor vs power of the magnets). The only really effective dust removal option is Olympus' SSWF dust filter. Not only does it cover the ccd, but its designed to vibrate at high frequencies to shake off dust.

However, the Sony APS sensors seem to be well coated with an anti static compound and dust can be blown off relatively easily.
07-27-2007, 04:57 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Lets Not Be Unrealistic

Pentax never claimed the Dust Removal system will keep sensors dust-free. Anyone with common sense knows that is utterly impossible. Instead, the advertising claims the system "helps keep the CCD surface dust-free." In that regard, the Dust Removal system is working for me, and probably everyone else in this thread using it.

Dust is a major problem for all interchangeable-lens digital cameras. That is a fact, not the fault or failure of a single company. Various methods have been developed to deal with it, but none have eliminated it. Some here have touted the glass cover over some sensors, which does certainly keep dust off sensors - one just has to deal with dust on the glass cover instead.

In the end, one will have to occasionally remove dust manually. For random dust, I use a blower combined with a heavily-filtered vacuum cleaner, all in a freshly cleaned work area. The blower is used (carefully) to break the dust free from the sensor, with the vacuum cleaner nozzle placed near the lens mount to collect the now freed dust (very low power only, with vacuum cleaner venting far away from the work area). Without the vacuum cleaner, the freed dust may settle right back on the sensor, or stay in the camera only to eventually settle back on the sensor.

For stubburn dust or dirt, there is a long list of cleaning products available. However, none seem entirely effective in every situation and I personally have little desire to experiment on an expensive sensor. Luckily, I've no such problems so far. But, when that happens, I'll probably opt for professional cleaning (through a company I can trust, like Pentax).

stewart
07-27-2007, 05:56 AM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

K10D dust cleaner works well for me. Just used the blower the second time since December. Don't use the shaker part at all. Heard it makes dust worse. The DS gets cleaned every month. Macro really makes dust show up bad! Even my Olympus E300 has a mode to manually clean the sensor.
thanks
barondla
07-27-2007, 07:59 AM   #13
Veteran Member

I think the anti-dust coating works

I assume it works. Why? Not because I pumped dust into my camera. But rather because I notice much less dust in my K10D than I had before in my *istDS. And I probably change lenses more frequently now since I use my zooms less and less and have increased my prime setup.

Now, I don't know what part of the setup makes the difference... Is it the shake that shakes off the dust every time I switch on the camera after a lens change? Is it the coating on the sensor which doesn't allow the dust to stick in the first place? Is it the weather sealing of the body which just allows less dust to get in there?

I don't really believe in the shake, and the sealed holes being insignificant compared to the huge lens mount cancels out the weather sealing too. So I think the anti-dust sensor coating does make a difference!!

No scientific tests, just plain observation in practice...

Wim
07-27-2007, 01:53 PM   #14
Veteran Member

I think I've used the dust removal feature on my K10 twice since I got my hands on the camera in November. Once to see what it was like, and the second time because I got a kick out of the noise and shake in my hands.

Do I know if it works? No. Do I know if the rocket-blower I occasionally point at the camera does anything, even? No.

I guess my standards are just different than most.
07-27-2007, 11:13 PM   #15
Veteran Member

i have one of those fancy soft lint free lenscloths.

i wrap it around my finger and lightly swab the sensor

three years of doing this has not given me a problem

just dont touch the prism or focusing screen or whatever is 'up' in there...
now THAT causes a prob...sheesh