Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 4 Likes Search this Thread
1 Like  #1
Can I use M42 screwmount lenses on my Pentax K-mount (D)SLR?
Posted By: Adam, 02-26-2007, 06:42 PM

Note: this article has been replaced by a newer version. See here:
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-lens-articles/110657-how-use-manua...7-k-x-etc.html

Yes, but you will need a Pentax screwmount adapter or a similar third party adapter. Please see this page for instructions on how to install the adapter: Pentax Screwmount Lens Adapter

Once you have installed the adapter, follow these easy steps:

1. Mount the lens. Make sure you tighten it so that all markings on the barrel are centered.

2. Compose your photo and adjust the focus.

3. If you're using a Super Takumar, S-M-C Takumar, SMC Takumar, or Super Multi Coated Takumar, you will need to set the diaphragm clutch on the lens to manual.

Then, select the desired aperture.

Note that your lens must be stopping down manually in order to get metering to work.

4. Meter the light. If you're using the K100D/K110D or the *ist DS/DS2/DL/DL2, press the AE-L button. If you're using the *ist D or K10D, press the green button. Make sure that the "allow aperture ring setting other than A" is set to yes.

When using a manual film SLR, meter as you would with any lens. Metering varies for later film SLRs.

5. Take the photo.
Views: 41,379
02-28-2007, 04:32 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Av with M42 lenses

You can also use Av with M42 lenses on the *ist D. This is how I always use them on my *ist D. It obviates the need to press the green button. I am assuming this works for later models.

Set the lens A/M switch to manual. Set the camera to Av. The camera will continuously set the shutter speed based on the aperture setting on the lens. You should do your focussing at maximum aperture first for a brighter image.

cheers

Greg
03-03-2007, 09:43 AM   #3

For those who live in countries where the Pentax Screwmount Lens Adapter might be out of stock. A word for the wise, some of the third-party adapters may not work as good as the original. At least the one I ordered from Ebay. Lenses will not be able to reach infinity focus, and will not be able to reach the intended focus lenghts.
03-06-2007, 03:40 PM   #4

QuoteOriginally posted by maleek Quote
For those who live in countries where the Pentax Screwmount Lens Adapter might be out of stock. A word for the wise, some of the third-party adapters may not work as good as the original. At least the one I ordered from Ebay. Lenses will not be able to reach infinity focus, and will not be able to reach the intended focus lenghts.
I just ordered a new one from B&H Photo Video in New York. $15 and Pentax brand. It should fit flush and work reliably. I made the mistake of ordering one from Hong Kong through ebay, and it would not focus to infinity.

03-09-2007, 04:47 AM   #5
Veteran Member

I'm also using one from Hong Kong. The problem is not where the thing comes from, but how it is made. The ones with a flange won't focus to infinity. The ones without the flange (such as I ordered) will.
04-06-2007, 08:08 PM   #6

Finally figured it out!

Thanks! I am a new K100D owner who has spent the last couple evenings trying to figure out how to use my old lenses. Thanks to this thread I finally figured it out!
04-20-2007, 10:00 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Two types of adapters abe available

Two types of adapters are available, all available on Ebay or camera stores. I believe Pentax does not manufacture them anymore. One type allows for infinity focusing and the cheaper doesn't. See link below for more information.

k10dbook home

09-08-2007, 09:31 PM   #8

so do the old slr,s suffer from the same problem ? as i have ordered a couple lens adapters from ebay of for a k mount to fit canon eso 500 qd and another pentax m 42 to fit a k mount body
09-23-2007, 12:40 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Call Pentax

QuoteOriginally posted by k10dbook Quote
Two types of adapters are available, all available on Ebay or camera stores. I believe Pentax does not manufacture them anymore. One type allows for infinity focusing and the cheaper doesn't. See link below for more information.

k10dbook home
I ordered a brand new M42 to K mount adapter directly from Pentax a few weeks ago. I called Pentax Colorado and the guy was very nice. He said he didn't know when they would have some in. I gave him my credit card info and hoped for the best. I got the adapter in the mail 10 days after I spoke to him. I say give Pentax a call and see what they can do for you.
10-13-2007, 12:03 AM   #10

Photos: Gallery | Albums
You used to be able to buy the Kalt brand from B&H photo and it would allow focus to infinity. They work great and I have 6 now attached to different lens. The Kalt Brand is now a discontinued Item there but the General brand one is an exact copy.
Go here for a look....
General Brand | Pentax-K Body to Universal Lens Adapter | B&H
Dawg
01-19-2008, 02:51 PM   #11
Veteran Member

You don't want an adapter that looks like this:

See pic of my el cheapo adapter in the following thread and notice that it has the wide flange.

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-slr-lens-discussion/18735-screwmou...ng-issues.html

Whatever you do, spend the extra money and get the one without the flange (examples of also in the above thread).

HTH,
Heather
01-19-2008, 03:50 PM   #12

There is an ebay seller (jinfinance I think) that sells the originals but not cheap and they come from China.
01-19-2008, 06:14 PM   #13
Veteran Member

I found such an adapter; brand new, made in Japan, but not by Pentax (forgot the brand name). No flange. About $16. Cheap/expensive?
01-20-2008, 02:24 AM   #14

I bought form ebayer Roxsen a well done imitation: writings are slowly fading away but metal is good. I paid that around 10 euros with a custom seller branded leatherette puch and removal tool.

No spamming, but the seller was sooo kind and professional
01-22-2008, 08:55 PM   #15

I just got an adapter from Adorama... the brand is Bower, and it cost about $15. So far, so good... now I am re-learning how to MF with my Super Takumar 50/1.4.