Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-26-2010, 09:56 AM   #1
Forum Member

ZX-7 Film Advance Troubles

Hey all,

So i've been shooting on a ZX-7 for a while now and have just run into my first snag. The last 2-3 rolls I have put through have had incorrect spacing between frames. By that I mean sometimes separate frames will overlap one another. This isn't a double exposure setting problem cause i haven't used it. Only about 1/4 to 1/3 of the previous frame will cover the next?

Does this have to do with the built in winder? Perhaps just loosely loaded film?

I've got a roll in the camera now so don't want to open it, but its really starting to annoy me?

DIY is best but i'll consider having it repaired. Then again i've been itching to buy a manual pentax anyway.

All replies welcome, thanks for any help!!

05-26-2010, 01:45 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I'd check to make sure the batteries are fresh and that the film is inserered properly, and then send if off to Pentax if it's still having issues. Or, if you're looking for a manual Pentax- the Super Program or K1000 would be my recommendations

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
05-26-2010, 02:42 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
That's one of the three* common failures of the ZX- and MZ- cameras. I had one that did the same, and I destroyed it while attempting the repair. But the values of most of these cameras are so low, it's "easy come easy go" - rhyme unintended. You don't have much to lose by attempting the fix.

User "wlachan" has hinted in one or two other threads here that the symptom could be caused by a dirty electrical sensor that counts revolutions of a shaft during film advance. Maybe that will give you a start.

---------------------

*the other two: intermittent sticky shutter (caused by a cracked gear), and a pop-up flash that won't stay where it's supposed to.
05-27-2010, 12:01 AM   #4
Forum Member

Original Poster
Found a sweet deal on a black MX. I'm picking that up. Perhaps i'll attempt repairing this after the other body arrives, nut i've been wanting another manual for a while and this is a great excuse. (original shot on a perfect ME Super, but sold it Anyway i'll check out those wlachan posts for a rainy day.

06-01-2010, 06:10 AM   #5

Same problem on my ZX-7

I see this same condition on my ZX-7. I believe it has nothing to do with how the film was loaded. It sometimes shows up in the middle of the roll. We had the Tour of California Bike race begin a couple of weeks ago in our community. Had some nice shots ruined because of the double exposure due to less than a full advance of the frame. So, I will look for the previous posts.

Jim