Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-02-2010, 06:10 PM   #1
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Want to move on from Kodak Gold

I've had to stop shooting film since I was broke for a few months, but now I can afford film and processing again. So far I've only shot Kodak Gold 200, and the colors have disappointed me. Do you have any recommendations of a certain film you like? I'm not looking for any specific color rendition; I just want to try something new. Thank you!

11-02-2010, 06:34 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

IMO Gold 100 is much nicer than the 200, if you can find it.
Kodak Ektar 100 is a very interesting new color print film, too.
If you want something a little faster Kodak Ultra Max 400 is excellent.

Chris
11-02-2010, 06:41 PM   #3
Veteran Member

My favourite for colour negative film is Kodak Ektar 100. Very fine grained.
Fuji Superia Reala is very nice too, also 100ISO.

For higher speed personally I like Fuji Superia 400 and prefer it over Ultramax. They are both good however.
11-02-2010, 06:51 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

+1 for Ektar.

Phil.

11-02-2010, 07:04 PM   #5

i love slide film, not sure what type it is but it always gets the best colours imo. 100asa
11-03-2010, 07:10 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
A lot has to do with scanning. What disappoints you with the color?

Apart from what's been mentioned above, you might try one of the 160 speed Fuji or Kodak 'pro' films. Each of them has its own charm and rendition characteristic.

Also, you might try store-brand film when it's on sale, for example CVS or Memories brand 200 speed can be fun & have better color than Kodak Gold.
11-03-2010, 07:24 AM   #7
Pentaxian

Ektar is a very nice film, and fun to play with. It's the newest "all-new" emulsion in a long while, so there is lots of excitement and people continue to learn more about how to work with it.

It is very fine grained, the smoothest results I've seen from 35mm negative film. (I haven't tried it in 120 yet.) It looks like E6 (slide) because it's so grainless.

The colours are strong, but very accurate. Watch shadows, they will tend to go blue (just like in real life...) I have had fun playing around, shooting with and without an 812 (warming) filter, and slightly over or under exposing.

The other benefit? Ektar is cheap, relatively speaking. Much cheaper than the E6 films, and cheaper than the other pro negative films. However, for people there is simply no substitute for Kodak Portra. Next time you take a portrait of somebody, put in a roll of 160NC or 400, and you will be very glad! It's worth the extra couple of bucks, Portra makes people look really good.

11-06-2010, 06:00 PM   #8

I have been using fuji superia 400 mainly because it's easy to get around here but it always seems to have a redish haze to the pictures no matter which lens I use. I have used kodak HD400 film and that was great stuff, vibrant and very sharp, but nobody sells it around here anymore. I have some Ektar 100 coming in the mail and I expect it to give better results than the fuji film. Anybody know why the kodak HD400 film has almost disappeared from store shelves? Maybe it's just the stores around me. It's a great consumer grade color film.
11-06-2010, 06:11 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Like Jussi, I'd have to say that what film to recommend would depend a lot on what disappoints one about Gold. I'm a fan of Fuji 160s, the Kodak 160 ISO films and Ektar for well-lit subjects. For lower light or for use with pocket cameras, Fuji 400h.
11-06-2010, 07:15 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by wcurtiss Quote
I have used kodak HD400 film and that was great stuff, vibrant and very sharp, but nobody sells it around here anymore. I have some Ektar 100 coming in the mail and I expect it to give better results than the fuji film. Anybody know why the kodak HD400 film has almost disappeared from store shelves? Maybe it's just the stores around me. It's a great consumer grade color film.
Replaced by Kodak Ultramax 400.

Chris
11-06-2010, 08:54 PM   #11
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by filmamigo Quote
Ektar is a very nice film, and fun to play with. It's the newest "all-new" emulsion in a long while, so there is lots of excitement and people continue to learn more about how to work with it.
Well, not really. It's heavily based on Kodak's Vision movie films.

QuoteQuote:
However, for people there is simply no substitute for Kodak Portra. Next time you take a portrait of somebody, put in a roll of 160NC or 400, and you will be very glad! It's worth the extra couple of bucks, Portra makes people look really good.
Yes. Yes, there is no substitute for Portra.

But I'm with Goddo as well - try Fuji Reala. It really is a beautiful film for landscapes, and especially foliage and plants.
11-07-2010, 04:08 PM   #12

QuoteOriginally posted by lithos Quote
Well, not really. It's heavily based on Kodak's Vision movie films.

Yes. Yes, there is no substitute for Portra.

But I'm with Goddo as well - try Fuji Reala. It really is a beautiful film for landscapes, and especially foliage and plants.
Portra 400NC is my favourite; I use it for everything, give it a try
11-08-2010, 05:28 PM   #13

Another vote for Fuji Reala, and Superia (100 and 400 ASA) for all around use. Used Ektar only once, great colors and contrast but shadow detail was missing
(it was of a parade, and the tree shade was dark..but floats and people in good light, great!).

Ditto for what several others have said; if you photo people, in good light, Portra 160 NC. But; be choosy with whom you have it processed by...drug store/Wal-Mart etc. I'd avoid. If you have a full service real camera shop in your locale; see who they recommend. Good luck!
11-08-2010, 07:59 PM   #14
Veteran Member

near me, the shops have Fuji Frontier machines and Fuji chemicals...I figure that they are set up for Fuji films and so I use a lot of Superia 400. Colours for me have been fine, in fact excellent, I prefer it to Ektar but that could be something to do with my place's processing and usage of the Fuji Hunt chemicals. Superia 400 is more contrasty than other Fuji films, like 160s. Very similar to Reala, and given that its likely you will get scanned prints, there is no a lot in it in terms of grain. Ektar is pretty amazing in terms of resolution, but blues seem excessively blue to me.

For the winter I've ordered a batch of pro800z, as I was finding even outdoors that Superia 400 was not giving me enough speed for handheld shots. You are looking at knocking on 1/125s for f8 and ISO 800 in overcast situations...ie wouldn't be able to use longer than 100mm lenses without a tripod..or opening up the aperture. I think Kodak Portra is available as ISO 800 too. Going for a slow film like Reala or Ektar makes sense only if you are going to use a tripod, flash or a lot of sunshine. What you gain in lack of grain will be lost in terms of camera shake in low light.

Last edited by whojammyflip; 11-08-2010 at 08:15 PM.
11-08-2010, 08:12 PM   #15

QuoteOriginally posted by rt22306 Quote
Another vote for Fuji Reala, and Superia (100 and 400 ASA) for all around use. Used Ektar only once, great colors and contrast but shadow detail was missing
(it was of a parade, and the tree shade was dark..but floats and people in good light, great!).

Ditto for what several others have said; if you photo people, in good light, Portra 160 NC. But; be choosy with whom you have it processed by...drug store/Wal-Mart etc. I'd avoid. If you have a full service real camera shop in your locale; see who they recommend. Good luck!
Only one place near my town that still processes film, London Drugs. They seem to do a pretty good job. If there was somewhere else I would use them.