Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-27-2010, 11:02 AM   #1

Photos: Albums
Bellow/Macro setup for slides/negatives

Hi!

I'm thinking of setting up a bellows/slide copier to use with my *istDS, mainly to digitize B&W and C41 negatives and secondarily, to experiment with macro photography. What kind of macro lens(es) should I be looking for?

I've been looking at the previous threads on this and also at current EBay listings...whew! The choices are bewildering!

Allyn

Edit: Hmmm...maybe this should be moved to the SLR lens group?

Last edited by allyn; 12-27-2010 at 11:44 AM. Reason: Should be moved to the SLR lens group
12-27-2010, 02:12 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Hmmm maybe SLR lens group is better, with the *istDs and all ...

However, probably the low cost set up is a M42 K adapter, the Pentax Bellows, and the Pentax Slide Copier - or substitute other brands if you will, the main thing is for the slide attachment to mate to the bellows rails. You then put a 55mm Takumar (slightly longer lens is better with APS-C) and arrange for a nice consistent light source.
12-27-2010, 05:05 PM   #3

But I'm afraid a 55 mm Takumar will not be sufficient - the distance between the slides and the lens will have to be too big. I used a Pentacon slide copier (cheaper than the Pentax version), some short el cheapo M42 extension tubes and the 3.5/35 mm tak instead, and it worked like a charm.
12-28-2010, 05:01 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I would go to the Pentax M 100/4 Macro or similar that allows a 1:2 magnification
that way you can shoot the 24x36 slides at ~5MP.

I saw a setup that involved a slide projector and a macro lens
Automatic Slide Copier Maxxum 7D, Alpha A900 Sony and Carousel Photo Gallery by Pete Ganzel at pbase.com
that maybe of interest

12-28-2010, 08:01 AM   #5

Original Poster
Oooh Fancy!

QuoteOriginally posted by titrisol Quote
I would go to the Pentax M 100/4 Macro or similar that allows a 1:2 magnification
that way you can shoot the 24x36 slides at ~5MP.

I saw a setup that involved a slide projector and a macro lens
Automatic Slide Copier Maxxum 7D, Alpha A900 Sony and Carousel Photo Gallery by Pete Ganzel at pbase.com
that maybe of interest
Wow! That slide projector setup is pretty clever!

In my case, I'm mainly going to be shooting B&W/C41 negatives and a few slides...so that projector setup wouldn't be practical.

I'm still looking for macro lenses, currently leaning towards enlarger lenses because they seem to be more affordable.

Thanks for the responses!
01-01-2011, 09:37 PM   #6
Veteran Member

I've got a fairly decent setup using a screwmount bellows, a 75mm enlarging lens, and an M39-M42 adapter. Seems to work fairly well.

I've got the slide duplicator attachment, but I'm considering making the more permanent setup one that uses the negative carriers from my enlarger so I can do medium-format, too. I've found a nice piece of diffusey plastic (originally a little embroidery light-table) that I think'll combine nicely with like an LED task light or some such.
01-07-2011, 12:11 PM   #7

Original Poster
Still checking the posts on Ebay. There's a fairly steady stream on interesting looking equipment. Since you can configure a lot of different lenses and adapters to come up with a solution it makes the decision process tricky...

I also broke down and bought a K7 body (currently have a *istDS) so the bellows/slide copier purchase is on the back burner for now...

01-16-2011, 06:56 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Allyn, I used the same equipent (Pentax bellows M42 style and Pentax slide copier) to copy many hundreds of slides. After trying several lenses I ended up using an old M42 mount Vivitar 50mm f1.7 lens - worked great. I even used my old *ist DS.