Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-24-2012, 04:29 PM   #46

New LX - shutter ok?

I got a new (old) LX today actually. Acording to the seller it got CLAd two years ago. Overall in nice condition. Everyting works as stated in the manual. But the shutter curtain does look like something has hit it. See picture. No holes however, and it seems to work ok. Do I need to worry?

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
EX1  Photo 
04-24-2012, 05:30 PM   #47
Loyal Site Supporter

That's on the trailing curtain (not that it makes much difference. It's certainly not something I'd be concerned about. If the shutter still works, it's probably as good as it ever will be.

Index
04-26-2012, 11:02 AM   #48
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The curtain on my LX has a dent like that as well. But it works perfectly, and just came back from a tuneup with Eric and he didn't say anything about it. I wager it's fine for the long haul.
04-26-2012, 01:30 PM   #49
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The Canon P 35mm interchangeable lens rangefinder camera has a focal plane shutter that uses steel foil curtains quite prone to dents.
FWIW though mine were wrinkled far worse than those in your LX the shutter remained accurate and light-tight.

Chris

04-26-2012, 03:13 PM   #50

QuoteOriginally posted by unixrevolution Quote
My friend owns an LX and has huge problems with eye relief due to his glasses. The LX FB-1/FC-1 combo is the only way he can shoot a 35mm slr and see the whole frame.
Sounds like he has a quite strong prescription. I have the FA-1W finder which gives a little less magnification than the standard FA-1, and have eye relief very close to what I get with my Nikon F3HP. I can see the entire screen with glasses, but have to be a little more careful to keep my eye centered than with the Nikon.
04-27-2012, 07:18 AM   #51

Thanks, guys. My initial worries are gone. Camera is loaded and ready for a walk
12-20-2014, 08:15 AM   #52

Pentax K-T1…

QuoteOriginally posted by unixrevolution Quote
The LX is special because of its construction, because of interchangeable finders, because of ethereally-accurate off-the-film metering (seriously, this is some awesome stuff, especially for long exposures), its random-access multiple exposure capability, and its general handling and feel.

The real party piece of the LX is the metering. Not only is the 1/2000s titanium curtain shutter stepless, but below sync speed, the light is metered directly off the film plane, and is variable. If the light changes during the exposure, the LX compensates. I know of no other Pentax...hell...no other camera that does that.

Of my 11 Pentax SLRs, it is my favorite, and I believe it to be the finest manual-focus 35mm SLR ever made. It is a workhorse that, with its surreal metering abilities, will continue to be unique and sought after for decades to come.

However, I will say the Super Program is DAMN good, and lighter and more convenient to boot. I have both, and they make a great combination!
I don't know if there will ever be another "Digital LX" with interchangeable finders and most if not all of the features of the original film model but I'm sure it would be popular if released.

I find the Pentax DSLRs (as well as their film) counterparts to have an excellent always ready to use/change interface (buttons, dials, back LCD menues, etc.), and though I like the Pentax MZ-S slanted "control" dial I am not sure how I feel about the mode dial on the back of the camera in the KS-1.

As far as the Super Program goes… One of my "tech dreams" (other than for a full frame DSLR) is for Pentax to make a digital "Super Program" with a (close to) "normal" K-r sized hand grip - I am not a fan of small grips (ie. Pentax Super Program and Nikon FG) but they are better than no grip cameras from the middle 70s and before. The only caveat is that a smaller camera might require some change of the button layout as their might not be enough "real estate" for all separate most used controls without someone's hand depressing a button as opposed to the back thumb grip. I don't know if putting a few buttons/dials on the prism housing itself might free up some room on the back that way - or possibly consign it to a touch screen LCD on back like the Panasonic GX-7 (micro fourthirds camera) but I hope they keep an AF activation button on the back grip (the Kr's placement for me is just about perfect in this department). A large viewfinder magnification and a decently high eyepoint (25mm or more would be great) and high viewfinder coverage would also help too (the K-r just makes it for me in these departments, but focusability is a problem with fast aperture manual focus lenses - better screens with more snap might solve this problem with manual focusing too as many people in "Pentaxland" tend to use Pentax and others' manual focus lenses too, its one of the main "features" of this brand is its backwards lens capability back to at least the screw mount era (with appropriate adapter(s)) - live view magnification on my K-r is not really a workable solution as I have to use the button and do multiple presses to both magnify and demagnify, some non-static subjects are a big problems with the K-r's live view option, a "(magnified) picture in whole frame picture" form of live view would work better as well as &/or combined with focus peaking which is an unfortunately not an option unless you get the "Special Edition K-r" (also known as the K-30, I believe ;-)). Interchangeable screens (split image (horizontal and diagonal on different screens) with microprism collar, microprism, etc.) would also be great too as would weather resistance found on earlier models such as both the K200 and the K50…

Whether it ends up being a mirrorless to achieve a Super Program-like size (and Super Program "weightish") or a standard mirrored camera pentaprism, I think that may be the direction for at least future entry to middle level Pentax DSLRs. Even the ZX-5n is quite compact and would be a good size to aim at for a future Pentax DSLR. I haven't had the opportunity to shoot with the K-S1 yet. I suspect within a year there might be more (at least 20 MP) DSLRs in the pipeline (other than the K-3) and I suspect that before long Pentax might be scraping at 24MP for its non-professional models too (Nikon has been there for awhile). Another possibility is a new sensor chip/pixels that can handle a wider dynamic range into the highlights before clipping to white for a more film-like response if not color negative-like response/rolloff to the highlights (the K-5's tonal response for lack of a better term had a high dynamic range that put it above most DSLRs in both smooth color/tonal quality if not highlights reproduction).

The MZ-S is well featured but (especially with its battery pack) too large for a carry 'round, though, of course it doesn't have interchangeable viewfinders, though you can do multiple exposures on it and I believe it has the ability to get back to a specific frame too (at least to some degree).

Having expressed all of the above (and having come from a film/analog(ue) photography background) I respect both the LX's and the Super Program's/Super A's strong points/feature and am grateful for all of the features my K-r does have (smallish, 6 f.p.s. motor drive built-in, quick AF, I.S.O. up to 25,600, etc.), which though considered "entry level" now would be the stuff of professional wish lists only a few short years ago...

Now if I could only figure out how to load a roll of Superia 200 into my K-r's battery compartment ;-)…

Last edited by Flagism U.C.C. 1-308; 12-21-2014 at 06:01 AM. Reason: Needed more lemon pesto ;-)
12-20-2014, 04:11 PM   #53
Pentaxian

I would love to see a Pentax full frame digital LX that actually accepted the full range of accessories that came with the LX, and even added to them.

Of course, a major specification of the original LX was its small size in comparison to its capabilities. Unfortunately it appears that Pentax/Ricoh can't figure out small. The upgrade to the K3 included that seeming prerogative of increased size. Though I am not a fan of Sony, it seems they have the right idea with the A7 series.

Unfortunately, it is unlikely we will ever really get a digital LX. They may put the name on something, but...
12-20-2014, 05:58 PM   #54
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Pioneer Quote
I would love to see a Pentax full frame digital LX that actually accepted the full range of accessories that came with the LX, and even added to them.

Of course, a major specification of the original LX was its small size in comparison to its capabilities. Unfortunately it appears that Pentax/Ricoh can't figure out small. The upgrade to the K3 included that seeming prerogative of increased size. Though I am not a fan of Sony, it seems they have the right idea with the A7 series.

Unfortunately, it is unlikely we will ever really get a digital LX. They may put the name on something, but...
I gave up waiting for a digital LX, and instead got the Sony A7. I must say with all my Pentax-M lenses it is as close to shooting my LX as I could want.
12-20-2014, 07:05 PM - 1 Like   #55
Veteran Member

For me it was size, simplicty and metering.

I love my pair on M series (ME and MX), the LX combined the best of both of them (aperture priority plus manual) and then threw in an amazing light meter to boot.

The ability to accurately wind the film backwards for double exposures also was useful.

Last edited by hks_kansei; 12-20-2014 at 08:12 PM.
12-20-2014, 09:17 PM   #56
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by hks_kansei Quote
For me it was size, simplicty and metering.

I love my pair on M series (ME and MX), the LX combined the best of both of them (aperture priority plus manual) and then threw in an amazing light meter to boot.

The ability to accurately wind the film backwards for double exposures also was useful.
For me it is still size, simplicity and metering.

But there are so many good aspects to the LX.
12-21-2014, 05:28 AM   #57
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Pioneer Quote
For me it is still size, simplicity and metering.

But there are so many good aspects to the LX.
Same.
While I don;t have an LX due to budget constraints, I do have the ME and MX, both of which I use a LOT more than my *istDS because they're smaller and simpler.
12-21-2014, 10:40 AM   #58
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Obviously the versatility of viewfinder - as well as focusing screen selection.

The ability to aperture priority autoexpose a scene as long as it takes - or batteries die, and monitor the scene in realtime adjusting exposure time accordingly is another feature that is unmatched by any camera - of any brand, is another.

Of course these only make the LX "better" if you need or use them.
12-21-2014, 12:46 PM   #59
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by LesDMess Quote
Obviously the versatility of viewfinder - as well as focusing screen selection.
Of course these only make the LX "better" if you need or use them.
I bought my LX when they first came out purely for the build quality and meter. Had only the "standard" finder for decades.
12-21-2014, 01:07 PM   #60
Veteran Member

The LX is better because...we all love the LX. At least those who own one.