Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
11-26-2012, 06:47 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Where to Get Film Developed

Can someone recommend a good lab to mail my film to get developed? Last year I used Snapfish but they stopped developing film. A couple months ago I used my local Walgreens but they just changed buildings and left the darkroom behind. I'm just looking for a place that's cheap, relatively fast, and will give me digital files to work with.
Kevin

11-26-2012, 07:06 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I highly recommend Dwayne's Photo, A trusted name in photo processing for over 50 years - Dwayne's Photo. They have order forms available on the web site.

I switched to them this spring after my local WalMart stopped developing in-house. The results are much, much better, and the price was about the same. Turnaround time for me (Maryland to Kansas) has been about two weeks.
11-26-2012, 07:41 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I run a small lab for my disposable camera business. If you are interested in pricing you can check out the link below. Each image is checked before it is scanned and corrected if needed. Walgreens scans at 4x6, our regular scans are scanned in at 8x10. Arrangements can be made if you need your negs mailed back but we typically provide images via FTP. Turnaround time is 1-2 weeks.
At this time our Noritsu scanner is being modified and should be back in another two weeks. Until then all scanning is being done on our Fuji Frontier and we are only offering 35mm until we get the Noritsu back. At that time we will also offer services for 120 and 220. We only do development for C41 film.
http://www.captivatedstudio.com/DisposableOrderForm.pdf
11-26-2012, 07:50 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Here is an example of a 35mm Large Scan (10x15) taken with Fuji 400H
http://www.captivatedstudio.com/1122112211000048-R3-054-25A.jpg

11-26-2012, 07:53 PM   #5
Banned

Where to get film developed? Depends on the type of film…

B&W or color; positive or negative.

I personally prefer something that I'm able to develop myself. One would be suprised how many people wrongly believe that one would actually need a darkroom for something as simple as developing just the film end without any enlarging, but.. It can be something as simple as minor adjustments for temps and then using drums - without the need for a darkroom in many instances.
11-26-2012, 07:54 PM   #6

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I recommend Dwayne's, also.
However, a local alternative might be Costco / Sam's Club / BJ's. Just don't expect top quality from them.
11-27-2012, 05:39 AM   #7
Banned

I've also seen just plain terrible results from some of the nationwide chains in terms of developing color print film. Machines that are not maintained to save their lives - ones which actually end up scratching negatives, and then printed so that the colors don't match any type of reality. So one might also want to somehow precheck the quality of such labs before entrusting them with any type of irreplaceable work

11-27-2012, 07:05 AM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

+1 Dwaynes Photo

My recent experience (last 5 years) getting color negative 135mm film developed, printed and scanned:

Costco - quality work at 1st, fast turnaround, low prices, 3MB scans (3087x2048). Then they scratched my negatives, done.

Wolfe Camera - quality work, fast turnaround, high prices, 2MB scans (1800x1250). Then the local store closed.

Dwaynes Photo - high quality work, low prices, 8MB scans (3583x2376), usually 2 week turnaround (includes shipping time).

Last edited by Moe49; 10-31-2013 at 09:45 AM.
11-27-2012, 08:01 AM   #9
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

I use a local pro lab for C41 processing and scan the negatives myself. Prices are the same as Costco or Walgreens, but the quality is much better. If you live in a town of any size, find out what camera store caters to the local pros. It is very likely that they also have a lab. As for B&W...that I do myself.

Steve
11-27-2012, 01:47 PM   #10
Veteran Member

The other thing to do is to ask local pros (wedding photographers) where they get/got their film developed.

Although Dwayne's is excellent
11-27-2012, 09:26 PM   #11
krp
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks for the recommendations, I'll look them over. I don't shoot film often, just a 35mm roll now and then.
11-28-2012, 01:42 PM   #12
Veteran Member

My local Costco stopped developing film over a year ago. Their processor broke and the powers that be decided not to spend the money to fix it.

When they were developing film, however, I was very happy with the results.

As with almost any vendor doing C-41 processing, everybody uses pretty much the same automated equipment. The difference is that the good ones keep the machines clean and the chemicals properly replenished. The bad ones don't, resulting in poorly developed film and scratched or dirty negatives.
11-28-2012, 02:59 PM   #13
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I used Wolf until they closed the store. Their printing was quite good; the C41 variable. I remember asking them process only and not to cut the negatives; I was horrified to find that they'd rolled up the film and put it in a film can!

My local Costco has become a "business center" and no longer stocks the imported Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese (at a good price), excellent beef, etc. We won't renew our membership; the nearest Costco with foodstuffs is 25 miles away and driving costs would eat up savings on purchases.

I've used Costco for printing. The department is run by a young woman who knows her stuff and turns out really nice work. I've had no complaints. But I can't justify the membership fee for a local print source. -Sigh-
11-28-2012, 03:01 PM   #14
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by montman Quote
I run a small lab for my disposable camera business. If you are interested in pricing you can check out the link below. Each image is checked before it is scanned and corrected if needed. Walgreens scans at 4x6, our regular scans are scanned in at 8x10. Arrangements can be made if you need your negs mailed back but we typically provide images via FTP. Turnaround time is 1-2 weeks.
At this time our Noritsu scanner is being modified and should be back in another two weeks. Until then all scanning is being done on our Fuji Frontier and we are only offering 35mm until we get the Noritsu back. At that time we will also offer services for 120 and 220. We only do development for C41 film.
http://www.captivatedstudio.com/DisposableOrderForm.pdf
Negatives are discarded unless instructed otherwise??
11-28-2012, 03:40 PM   #15
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by grhazelton Quote
I remember asking them process only and not to cut the negatives; I was horrified to find that they'd rolled up the film and put it in a film can!
Sorry, what does it mean to not cut the negatives? I assume this means not to cut the film strip into segments each around 6 exposures or so, if memory serves me right (it's been a long time). And if the whole thing is a long strip, how should they return the film if not in a film can?