Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-30-2008, 06:27 AM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I've yet to get photos of daughter with the cameras, as I'm not in the habit of carrying TWO at a time. She looks awesome with the Pentaxes and her favorite, the TLR

07-30-2008, 03:20 PM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Mike Cash Quote
My experience mirrors yours, Javier. When I go out on photo hunts on my days off, I will quite often take only film cameras and may or may not fill up a roll.

On such occasions, the photography is the excuse for the outing, and the outing is the excuse for the photography. In other words, it is as much about just enjoying being out and about as it is actively seeking to come back home with some good photos.
Exactly right!!!
It is rare that I can go through a roll in a single outing. Usually it takes me 2 or 3
07-30-2008, 04:29 PM   #18
Veteran Member

By the way, does everyone experience the rule of 24 and 36?

Especially with a 24 exposure roll, you run out of film just as you're getting to the good part.
(The relativistic formulation: when you have 5 exposures or less left, you'll find the perfect photo op)

With 36, you never get to the end. Until you have 5 or fewer exposures left, in which case see above.
07-30-2008, 05:43 PM   #19
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Nester, that is so funny because it is so true...LOL...I thought it was only me.....Infact, now what I do is when I am down to my last exposer, I am off to the photo lab and right before I take the film out of the camera, I blow off the last image on hopefully my kids or wife.....

07-30-2008, 08:10 PM   #20
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Nesster Quote
By the way, does everyone experience the rule of 24 and 36?

Especially with a 24 exposure roll, you run out of film just as you're getting to the good part.
(The relativistic formulation: when you have 5 exposures or less left, you'll find the perfect photo op)

With 36, you never get to the end. Until you have 5 or fewer exposures left, in which case see above.
Hey, you caught me here! I just did that two days ago. Went to an indoor garden festival w/ my SuperProgram and one roll of Kodak Gold 100 (36 exposures), I could only snap about 28 shots, but I really wanted to see the results asap, so I just wasted the rest by some random shots on the way home Didn't have time to pickup the developed film yesterday, I'm gonna take off earlier today to see how they look like
07-30-2008, 09:43 PM   #21
Veteran Member

I shot my first roll of film in 6 months about a month ago. I got the roll back from the lab (Astia) and my jaw dropped. I fell in love with film, esp. slide film, all over again. Since then, I've gotten into 4x5 and will probably be purchasing my first 4x5 this friday. Fun stuff!
07-30-2008, 10:18 PM   #22
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Last week, I picked up my 1982 Ricoh XR7 mounted with the Pentax-M 50/1.7. It has been awhile since I put any film through it, but just holding it was enough to bring home the major differences between shooting a 35mm film SLR and a high-end digital SLR. The Ricoh is small, light and tough. It handles beautifully even with longer glass. Its viewfinder is big, bright, and uncluttered. Even the though the metering system is not sophisticated, appropriate exposures are not difficult to attain.

I like my K10D, but it is simply a big hunk of a tool. The K10D is to the Ricoh as my Buick Riviera is to my LeMond road bicycle. Both the car and the bike go down the road, but the experience is completely different.

Unfortunately, the Ricoh is badly in need of a CLA. The mirror is sticking halfway through its throw. I think the next $100 I spend on photo stuff will go to putting my old friend into better condition. When that is done, it is probably time to shoot a little film again. I bet the Zenitar would work pretty well on the XR7!

Steve

P.S. I wish I could be poetic about a Pentax film body, but the Ricoh was purchased in lieu of a Pentax MX. The Pentax was quite a bit more money and the difference went to buy the Tamron 28mm and 70-150mm lenses that I still use regularly. My good fortune was that the XR7 was delivered with the M 50/1.7 instead of the Rikenon-K 50/1.7 that I was expecting. Now that is the kind of bait and switch that I could get used to!

07-30-2008, 10:24 PM   #23
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by clawhammer Quote
I shot my first roll of film in 6 months about a month ago. I got the roll back from the lab (Astia) and my jaw dropped. I fell in love with film, esp. slide film, all over again. Since then, I've gotten into 4x5 and will probably be purchasing my first 4x5 this friday. Fun stuff!
So...What is your 4X5 solution? I always wanted to buy one of the compact 4X5 monorails for field use with a roll film back. The extra movements would be so nice for landscape work!

Steve
07-31-2008, 06:01 AM   #24
Veteran Member

Steve, no need to be apologetic, I've had my eye on a XR7 or it's Sears equivalent... they seem to be really nice cameras. I figure, as long as they have a real K mount or M42, they're in!

I just received a Rikenon 135/2.8 that sure looks yummy, so I'm back to lugging the Spotmatic around. 135mm is an interesting focal length, forces me to see things in yet another way.
07-31-2008, 06:19 AM   #25
Banned

QuoteQuote:
135mm is an interesting focal length, forces me to see things in yet another way.
I found that out real quick after purchasing my S-M-C Takumar 135mm 3.5
07-31-2008, 06:40 AM   #26
Veteran Member

I, too, have experienced the 24/36 thing. With a roll of 36, I always seem to "finish" at 30 or 31.

With regard to the comment made about the Rikenon lens, I add that I have heard that Rikenon lenses are quite good. Likewise, the Ricoh bodies are nice, too. They are straightforward, nicely built, and feature a K-mount--what could be better!
07-31-2008, 01:16 PM   #27
Veteran Member

I had my first try with Tr-X film recently. I was blown away by the rendering. Very happy with it. And a lot more useable shots, then what I had taken digital from the event.
07-31-2008, 01:18 PM   #28
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Jonson PL Quote
I had my first try with Tr-X film recently. I was blown away by the rendering. Very happy with it. And a lot more useable shots, then what I had taken digital from the event.
I love tri-x...Lets see some images.
07-31-2008, 03:27 PM   #29
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
So...What is your 4X5 solution? I always wanted to buy one of the compact 4X5 monorails for field use with a roll film back. The extra movements would be so nice for landscape work!

Steve
My friend has a Graphic View 2 that he's willing to sell for $250 (with film holders, changing bag, etc) so I'm gonna go with that. It's got just about every movement except rear rise/fall. It's not very light- I probably won't be taking this one hiking, but it's great for studio/architecture.
08-01-2008, 02:11 AM   #30
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jgredline Quote
I love tri-x...Lets see some images.
A friend of mine wanted some some profile pictures, so we went to a nearby park and took some digital and film shots.
The digital ones had few that were up to notch, so I had feared that the film would be a waste of money, as likely not many would come out as wished. But I really liked the contrast and rendering. B&W film shots are just better than what digital converted look like.

Having bought K10 and joining forums, opened my eyes to some of the great older glass. And as my Z-1P has really been banged around a lot, I've been considering getting another film cam. I would like to have the analog EXIF on the film rolls like the MZ-S can; (don't like the info that is put on the prints in the bottom corner). And also have a go at an all manual focus camera with big pentaprism, like a superA/superPROGRAM.
I feel that I learn a lot more about photography, slowing down, thinking about what to do; and setting it all manual. Getting the K 50/1.2 just showed me how vastly superior primes are to consumer zooms.

Here are some of the samles :

Just cropped, no editing

Last edited by Jonson PL; 08-01-2008 at 02:18 AM.