Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-17-2008, 02:56 PM   #1

MX Lightmeter

Hi,

the lightmeter of my MX does not work properly. When I push the release button only the upper led lights up. I can change the apperture, the exposure time put the couver on top but it won't change.

I replaced the batteries but the situation doesn't change,

Does someone know this problem including solution?
Any suggestions?

Is there an easy way to open the top cover of the housing without special tools?

Thanks in advance,

10-17-2008, 05:05 PM   #2
Veteran Member

if u need to get it repaired, Eric is really good Home
although might be a bit far for you...
10-19-2008, 01:50 PM   #3

Try changing the film speed. If it's set to something really high like 3200 you might get that in brihgt sunlight.
10-24-2008, 08:37 AM   #4

Original Poster
Thanks so far,
Film speed is fine, 32 or 1600 doesn't matter.

Since shipping to the US cost as much as a used MX I will try to fix it when I find a way to open the top of the housing without causing damage.

10-24-2008, 10:38 AM   #5
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by googlefish Quote
Thanks so far,
Film speed is fine, 32 or 1600 doesn't matter.

Since shipping to the US cost as much as a used MX I will try to fix it when I find a way to open the top of the housing without causing damage.
that will be very difficult I assure you. I had a hell of a time trying to open up a backup body I had. here are some resources that might be of some help:

Disassembly of the Pentax MX Camera
http://www.pentax-manuals.com/manuals/service/mx_sm.pdf

good luck.
10-24-2008, 11:13 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Some other bits to check - see if the lens is seated correctly, and the contacts on lens and mount are clean. (Ok, so there are no contacts ) Try a different, known good, lens. When you change aperture, is there more resistance in one direction or another (ie. the camera lens sensing mechanism is sticky)...

On my KX, opening up the lens is harder than closing it down. Also, the meter once became intermittent when I was using the 43ltd, but works fine with the M50/1.7. I think these symptoms are related: something mechanical isn't moving as freely as it could, in the camera.

If it isn't mechanical, then I'm suspicious of a capacitor or resistor or poteniometer having gone bad in the circuit.
10-28-2008, 01:54 PM   #7
Veteran Member

is it normal for lightmeter in MX to be active all the time?

i bought MX few days ago, and noticed that red LED glows even with lens cap attached. so, can it be turned off, and how long will batteries (brand new LR44s) hold if lightmeter stays on all the time?

Last edited by elkarrde; 10-29-2008 at 01:33 AM.
10-28-2008, 10:54 PM   #8
Banned

no, none of the LED's should be lit up with the lens cap on. there are two ways of activating the light meter. 1: by slightly depressing the shutter button. this will activate it only as long as you hold the shutter. 2: by flipping the advance lever to the 'ready' position and then slightly depressing the shutter. this will lock the shutter and keep the light meter on until you flip the advance lever back to the closed position.

your silver oxide cells wont last long in this position.
10-29-2008, 01:48 AM   #9
Veteran Member

thank you!
i found that lightmeter LEDs went off after a while, so now it's pretty much as you described.

yay! i'm one happy MX owner!
10-29-2008, 09:18 AM   #10
Inactive Account

I also had a problem before with my MX. Something similar, the lower RED LED is the only one lit no matter what I do. Had it checked in the Pentax shop here and got it after a few days. Not sure really what happened to it. I thought that it might be due to the camera being unused for more than 10years.
10-30-2008, 04:29 AM   #11
Veteran Member

ok, i have new question regarding MX and it's lightmeter.

how fast should the lightmeter wake up after some time of inactivity?
it seems like my MX needs some time to wake the lightmeter up - there's no light metering after initial half-press for 6-7 seconds, then it wakes up and works just fine.
the same thing does my P5 too, although it wakes up a bit faster..

it's pretty annoying sometimes, so i'm wondering should i take a trip to the repair-shop..
10-30-2008, 10:50 AM   #12
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by séamuis Quote
no, none of the LED's should be lit up with the lens cap on. there are two ways of activating the light meter. 1: by slightly depressing the shutter button. this will activate it only as long as you hold the shutter. 2: by flipping the advance lever to the 'ready' position and then slightly depressing the shutter. this will lock the shutter and keep the light meter on until you flip the advance lever back to the closed position.
Thanks Séamuis! I was just about to start a thread asking this very question when I saw this thread and thought "maybe my answer is in there..."

I admit it, I got the MX yesterday and I'm too lazy to find a manual online and read it
10-31-2008, 12:43 AM   #13
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by ChrisPlatt Quote
That is not correct. Lens cap does not control the meter on the MX as on the K1000 and KM.
If MX is stored with meter activated, bottom-most LED (underexposure) will remain lit
and batteries will run down even if lens cap is on.

Chris

yes I am very well aware of that. obviously that first statement was confused. did you read the rest of my post at all? I own and use an MX on a daily basis, I know full well how it works. seeing as how the person asking didn't fully understand how the light meter works I was trying to explain that none of the LED's should be lit up (if its working correctly) if the person isnt holding down the shutter... it was obvious (to me) that the camera was in fact not in the 'permantely on' position.
10-31-2008, 01:21 PM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

No offense intended. And I'm not trying to be picky, but it's really no service to spread misinformation.
Remember not everyone reads every post in a thread, so IMO information in each post should be as accurate as possible.
When I post information I later realize is incorrect or unclear, I go back and edit it or delete the post entirely.

Chris

Last edited by ChrisPlatt; 10-31-2008 at 01:36 PM.
10-31-2008, 01:43 PM   #15
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by ChrisPlatt Quote
No offense intended. And I'm not trying to be picky, but it's really no service to spread misinformation.
Remember not everyone reads every post in a thread, so IMO information in each post should be as accurate as possible.
When I post information I later realize is incorrect or unclear, I go back and edit it or delete the post entirely.

Chris
but seeing as how the person my information was directed at understood and learned from it how is it misinformation? just because some people don't read everything doesn't make my information wrong, just appear that way when out of context.