Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-07-2009, 04:08 PM   #1
Veteran Member

duh film loading moment

i finished my roll of neopan 400 in my me super and started rewinding. was surprised it took only a few cranks to rewind. then after tonnes of testing i realized that i didn't dig the film tip far enough into those white plastic things and i actually didn't take any pictures. i also learned what that window below the crank does too now.

although now i'm really good at extracting rewound film from the canister.

maybe we do need that n00b section

03-07-2009, 05:23 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
The purpose of that window is described in the ME manual. Does the ME Super manual not mention it?

There's more film leader there than you might think there is. It's always a good idea to visually check that the film is being taken up before closing the back. I always wind on for one or two shutter firings prior to closing the back.
03-07-2009, 05:56 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Mike Cash Quote
The purpose of that window is described in the ME manual. Does the ME Super manual not mention it?

There's more film leader there than you might think there is. It's always a good idea to visually check that the film is being taken up before closing the back. I always wind on for one or two shutter firings prior to closing the back.
it does mention it after i read it properly
that's what i did a few times to make sure i was doing it right.
03-07-2009, 06:24 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I do the same - specifically, I like to see the sprockets next to the "Magic Fingers" take up reel engaged on both sides of the film, and the film laying flat on the rails with the canister properly situated.

the

03-07-2009, 06:26 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I do the same - specifically, I like to see the sprockets next to the "Magic Fingers" take up reel engaged on both sides of the film, and the film laying flat on the rails with the canister properly situated. The film will wind around onto itself before both sprockets engage, so you can be pretty certain it is winding correctly. Using the little window is a plus on your camera - my KX and SPF don't have that nice feature.

the

03-07-2009, 06:39 PM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter

Many people, when loading film put the film magazine into the camera, and then try to put the film tongue into the take-up spool.
This is backwards!!!!

Try this:

Take the film tongue between thumb and forefinger and, with the film magazine in your hand, insert the tongue into the take-up spool. Push it in far enough that it comes out the other side if you can.
Then put the film magazine into the camera and rewind it until snug.
Advance the film until it has engaged both top and bottom of the advance sprocket and close the back.
Advance the film a couple of times to clear the light fog, and do watch the take-up spool.
If it is turning while the film is being advanced, then you know the film is actually moving in the camera.
03-07-2009, 07:00 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Back in the days when I shot film I'd get into the habit of loading the film, closing the door, and then gently cranking the rewind knob to take up any slack in the film canister. Then I'd make sure that the rewind crank actually turned when I advanced the film lever - that gives you 100% visual confirmation that the film is actually moving. Worked on every 35mm camera I ever owned, so I never bothered looking at the little bars on my ME Super when I got it.

03-07-2009, 07:05 PM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
Many people, when loading film put the film magazine into the camera, and then try to put the film tongue into the take-up spool.
This is backwards!!!!

Try this:

Take the film tongue between thumb and forefinger and, with the film magazine in your hand, insert the tongue into the take-up spool. Push it in far enough that it comes out the other side if you can.
Then put the film magazine into the camera and rewind it until snug.
Advance the film until it has engaged both top and bottom of the advance sprocket and close the back.
Advance the film a couple of times to clear the light fog, and do watch the take-up spool.
If it is turning while the film is being advanced, then you know the film is actually moving in the camera.
Good technique! I'll have to try that.
03-07-2009, 09:00 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I actually crimp the film leader.I fold the first half inch of the leader over back on itself once as habit I kept from loading my Leica M3. that way You lodge that into the fingers, and due to the crease the fingers catch on to it and there is no way the film can be dislodged short of ripping it out. I always wind on a frame to make sure the sprockets are engaged.
03-07-2009, 09:03 PM   #10
Veteran Member

I'm with Sean and Wheatfield, there. I do similarly.
03-07-2009, 09:07 PM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Sean Nelson Quote
Back in the days when I shot film I'd get into the habit of loading the film, closing the door, and then gently cranking the rewind knob to take up any slack in the film canister. Then I'd make sure that the rewind crank actually turned when I advanced the film lever - that gives you 100% visual confirmation that the film is actually moving. Worked on every 35mm camera I ever owned, so I never bothered looking at the little bars on my ME Super when I got it.
Exactly what I've been doing w/ those manual cameras Just look at the rewind crank when forwarding film. If it turns, it's winding Don't really bother looking at the little window on the back ...
03-07-2009, 09:53 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Original Poster
thanks for the tips! hope i won't f'k up next time
03-08-2009, 06:11 AM   #13

You'll get the hang of it. Loading film is one of those things that becomes easier and easier until it becomes second nature to you.
03-08-2009, 06:44 AM   #14
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by k100d Quote
i finished my roll of neopan 400 in my me super and started rewinding. was surprised it took only a few cranks to rewind. then after tonnes of testing i realized that i didn't dig the film tip far enough into those white plastic things and i actually didn't take any pictures.

You're the only person who's ever done that, you know. Except for.....oh...about anyone who has ever used a film camera. lol After it happened to me, I adopted the techniques that Wheatfield and Sean mentioned. I never had the problem again. Good luck!
03-08-2009, 09:26 AM   #15
Inactive Account

Oh, I've done that.

Except replace "Neopan 400" with "$25 Provia 400X that I'd paid for and gotten processing at a lab whose staff think you're a try-hard peasant the very moment walk in the door, not to mention the snickering that goes one when they see you've got a Pentax around your neck and not some greater camera".

The tricks are:

* Always wind on a bit with the back open so you can see the film move (at least until you get confident at loading it).

*In conjunction with the tip below: always shove the film leader under the Magic Needles as far as you can - until you hit the curve at the base of the leader.

* When you push the leader under one of the Magic Needles (the white rods on the take-up spool), push it towards the shutter. Thus the tension created when you first wind on will crease the film end in to a hook, which catches on the Magic Needles. If you just slide the leader straight across, it's easier for it to slide out.

And as others have said, watch the rewind knob and the red stripes in the window.

Also, as you get used to it, you'll find that the feeling of winding-on a properly loaded ME is a lot different to winding an unloaded one - it takes much more force, and the sound is slightly different, as more things are moving inside the camera.