Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-21-2009, 09:15 PM   #1
Inactive Account

Electro Spotmatic (Black) and ES 2 (Black).

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

I own both these cameras and would be gratefull for any info on value and rarity. I believe the Electro Spotmatic was Japan domestic market and sold as the E.S in other markets. Both are in excellant cosmetic condition Any info much appreciated. Alan

03-21-2009, 09:16 PM   #2
Veteran Member

check ebay and KEH.com first
03-21-2009, 09:26 PM   #3
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Been looking on ebay. Never seen a Black ES2 for sale. KEH zero for sale
03-21-2009, 09:43 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
There was this one for sale here in the Marketplace: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/photographers-marketplace/42983-pentax-es...8-55-lens.html

03-21-2009, 09:44 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Spotmatic ESII

QuoteOriginally posted by senator Quote
Here are some history links (and a Black ESII for $75 active on eBay)

ESII on eBay

Honeywell Pentax ESII

Asahi Pentax ESII

Asahi Optical Historical Club Screwmount history table

"The Ultimate Pentax Screwmount Guide" for sale on Amazon.com
03-21-2009, 10:10 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Try using the proper name.....ESII....instead of ES2.
03-21-2009, 11:32 PM   #7
Inactive Account

Original Poster

This is the electro spot

03-22-2009, 01:23 AM   #8
Veteran Member

@senator: The image you tried to post doesn't seem to be linked properly.
03-22-2009, 05:28 AM   #9
Inactive Account

I believe the Electro Spotmatic was Japan domestic market and sold as the E.S in other markets.
Alan:

First, welcome to the forum!

The Electro Spotmatic was made for the Japanese home market only. I have seen dates of late 1971 to 1972 for manufacture whereas the ES was produced from the end of 1972 to 1973.

The Electro Spotmatic is one of the more "uncommon" Pentax cameras, and technically it was the forerunner (some say production prototype) of the Spotmatic ES. It was produced in small numbers.

The very early Electro-Spotmatics were prone to circuit board failures. Consequently, it is hard to find and Electro-Spotmatic that works in Auto mode. This was fixed relatively quickly and most of the ES's that benefited from this revision have the revised design and still work. This seems to have occurred in the 1972 timeframe.

Either way, the Pentax Electro Spotmatic was the first SLR camera with TTL aperture-priority.

This is a good read:

Asahi Pentax and Pentax SLR 35mm ... - Google Book Search

Hope this helps! We'd love to see pictures. I've personally been looking for an Electro Spotmatic in working condition for a long time. If you are selling, please let me know. Thanks.

woof!
03-22-2009, 07:14 AM   #10
Banned

Im almost positive I saw an electro-spotmatic on the bay a few days ago. black body.
03-22-2009, 10:34 AM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by séamuis Quote
Im almost positive I saw an electro-spotmatic on the bay a few days ago. black body.
I believe I watched that body. If I didn't already have an F . . .
03-22-2009, 10:44 AM   #12
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
I believe I watched that body. If I didn't already have an F . . .
ah, so I did see an electro-spotmatic. already having a black ESII I paid it no attention, that and of course I cant afford it at the moment.:ugh: do you know the final selling price?
03-22-2009, 12:19 PM   #14
Banned

I am extremely jealous of the first listing. I paid more than that for my ESII and all I got was the body! of course the last thing I need is another 55, but looking at the cosmetic condition of both lens and body as well as the inclusion of the 'ES' branded ever ready case (something I have been looking for) id say that was a steal. a serious steal.... man I'm sorry I missed that.
03-22-2009, 02:53 PM   #15
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by séamuis Quote
I am extremely jealous of the first listing. I paid more than that for my ESII and all I got was the body! of course the last thing I need is another 55, but looking at the cosmetic condition of both lens and body as well as the inclusion of the 'ES' branded ever ready case (something I have been looking for) id say that was a steal. a serious steal.... man I'm sorry I missed that.
Séamuis: Look closer - "the automatic feature no longer works (most likely dried out)"

Heh. Dried out. That's a corker. Nope. Electronic gave out. Nothing surprising there

Second one: "Due to ... faulty auto-exposure the camera is sold as-is"

Third one: "PLEASE NOTE THAT CAMERA HAS NOT BEEN TESTED eg LIGHT METER,AUTO AND MANUAL SHUTTER SPEEDS ETC SO IT IS TO BE SOLD AS IS UNTESTED WITH NO RETURNS"

People will buy anything. I almost guarantee you that the auto does not work on that camera.

It really is rare to find electro spotamatics that are working.

woof!