Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-21-2009, 01:19 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
It is mint in every other regard. The seller responded that it was a commission sale and they will refund in full. I've sent a note back to the seller asking if they are willing to pick up half of the repair cost....we'll see what they have to say.

Regarding the LXs needing work.....my thoughts exactly when I posted this but I wasn't aware it was so easily fixed via Erics services. Makes the LX a worthy option. Thanks everyone!

06-21-2009, 09:55 PM   #17
Loyal Site Supporter

Is there a market for these cameras?
What are they going for these days?
06-21-2009, 10:20 PM   #18
Veteran Member

I follow them on ebay.

Mint & working go 400+
good condition 300+
beaters 200+
parts cameras under 150.

As with all things ebay, prices vary.

KEH has one at 399 in EX cond.

Thinking of making a little more room on the table?
06-21-2009, 10:33 PM   #19
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I paid $500.00 for mine including the CLA from Eric. I had factored in the CLA in the final cost when I bought mine. Infact, I have done that for all my bodies. Just factored that in.

06-22-2009, 12:20 AM   #20
Veteran Member

I think my working beater was $160 or so. Then about $200 on the CLA (with some parts replacement/upgrade).
06-22-2009, 01:22 AM   #21
Veteran Member

You know an used LX is an expensive toy which is not only expensive to buy, but also expensive to fix, and the best part is, it won't last long. If you really want to use it, have it fixed properly ($200-400). If you just want to see what all the fuss was about, you already have and just send it back and move on. There are people in Japan still fixing the LX really well but I have no further info. Just make sure if you want it fixed, don't, and I mean DON'T let those 2 repair centres in Vancouver touched your LX cos it would probably come back in worse shape. Good luck with your LX adventure.
06-22-2009, 06:49 AM   #22
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by KungPOW Quote
I follow them on ebay.

Mint & working go 400+
good condition 300+
beaters 200+
parts cameras under 150.

As with all things ebay, prices vary.

KEH has one at 399 in EX cond.

Thinking of making a little more room on the table?
I have two that I'm thinking of letting go. CLA'd by Pentax in 2002, and have seen very little use since. I have shot very little film since the introduction of the *istD.

06-22-2009, 01:21 PM   #23
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ChrisPlatt Quote
Otherwise "mint" describes cosmetic condition only.

Chris
I strongly disagree! Mint means the object is in the same condition it was when new, which means it works like new too. Unless the seller specified the item looked mint, in which case the 'cosmetic condition only' would be correct.
06-22-2009, 01:41 PM   #24
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Tom S. Quote
I strongly disagree! Mint means the object is in the same condition it was when new, which means it works like new too. Unless the seller specified the item looked mint, in which case the 'cosmetic condition only' would be correct.
Regardless of how an ad is stated I would always ask what the condition of the camera, watch, bicycle, etc., was in and if everything was working per specs. if not, what was wrong.

Having said that, I agree with Tom S. If the ad stated the item was in cosmetic mint condition (looked mint) then I would assume it just looked good; a real nice paper weight. If not then I assume mint means it looks and performs like it just rolled off the assembly line. But, like Isaid, I would always ask...
06-22-2009, 02:03 PM   #25

From what I gathered the sticky mirror problem is inherently due to the material chosen for the LX mirror assembly. I think it has to do with how the rubber ages over time (and use). So even if you have a LX that has never been used, sealed in a box over the years I think you'll still get the sticky mirror issue. If that's the case can you still say it's "mint"?

It's a shame that they used this unproven material for the LX, and not some simpler/proven design for this otherwise great camera.
06-22-2009, 02:05 PM   #26
Veteran Member

Original Poster
It was listed as near mint and fully functional. In any regard, they have been good about it and have agreed to help pay for the repair, so I've shipped it off to Eric. I had been tempted to ship it back but I really like the camera and I think it'll be worth it in the long run.
06-22-2009, 03:46 PM   #27
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by smc Quote
It was listed as near mint and fully functional. In any regard, they have been good about it and have agreed to help pay for the repair, so I've shipped it off to Eric. I had been tempted to ship it back but I really like the camera and I think it'll be worth it in the long run.
That sounds like a good choice.
Otherwise you can always ask who might want another LX

Cheers,

Luc
06-22-2009, 06:39 PM   #28
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by wlachan Quote
You know an used LX is an expensive toy which is not only expensive to buy, but also expensive to fix, and the best part is, it won't last long. .
Mine have certainly lasted long. I've used it for 28 years (how time flies!) and it has never developed sticky mirror. It did malfunction when it was 19; it didn't work in auto mode anylonger. At service they routinely replaced the mirror bumbers (in spite of sticky mirror not occuring) and replaced the resistors with gold types. It is still working perfectly in spite of being a very beaten up sample.
Pentax still repairs it over here.....
06-23-2009, 06:20 AM   #29
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Pål Jensen Quote
...It did malfunction when it was 19...
And who doesn't? I certainly did.
06-23-2009, 07:10 AM   #30
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by wlachan Quote
You know an used LX is an expensive toy which is not only expensive to buy, but also expensive to fix, and the best part is, it won't last long.
Nonsense. Why would anyone say such a thing? The LX was built like a Swiss watch. I've owned two and they both worked beautifully despite being 20+ years old.