Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-16-2011, 03:50 AM   #1

Best flash under 100$?

First thanks for reading, am still very new to photography and even newer to my Pentax K-x, I want to go ahead and Get a nice little flash however I dont have the need for anything uhh flashy lol

I found these 2 pretty cheap on amazon but they look a little too cheap, which would you suggest?

Amazon.com: Yongnuo Flash Speedlite Yn-460ii for Nikon Canon Pentax: Camera & Photo

and

Amazon.com: Precision Design DSLR300 Universal High Power Auto Flash with Zoom/Bounce/Swivel Head for Pentax K-7, K-5, K-x, K-r, K20D, K200D, K2000 Digital SLR Cameras: Electronics

thanks!

04-16-2011, 04:47 PM   #2
Veteran Member

I don't have direct experience with the two you listed. But reading the descriptions/reviews on Amazon, I wouldn't buy any of them. IMHO, there are better options.

Read this thread.
04-17-2011, 03:29 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I have a Yongnugo YN 460. For shooting manual and off camera it works just as good as any of the higher end flashes from other companies.
If you're looking to put it on the camera and use it in TTL mode (sort of like auto exposure) it will not be able to do that.
However, if you're looking to do this....

Its more than capable and reliable.

My son Max, shot with my KX (I think) and a YN 460 through an umbrella to the camera right.
04-17-2011, 03:57 AM   #4

Original Poster
Wow thats an amazing photo, great lighting Indeed.

"For shooting manual"

you mean with a cord? or like wireless? pretty much NOT connected to the cam? why wont It work connected?

sorry am a bit confused

04-17-2011, 04:13 AM   #5
Veteran Member

It will work connected to the camera, but you'll have to set the power output manually. You just can't put the flash on the camera, take a picture, and assume the flash and camera will communicate together to give you the correct exposure. That's TTL and the YN doesn't do that.
The picture above was off camera using a Cactus 4 receiver and trigger (40 bucks). I simply took the shot, determined if I wanted more/less light and added salt to taste (walk back over to the flash and turn the power down a notch.

Start HERE. Go step by step and move to lighting 102. Follow the activities and you'll figure it out. Its about as in depth as you're going to find. Be waned.....you'll have 5 flashes by the end of the week.

I went to the Flashbus tour last week in Philly to watch Hobby and McNally......awesome stuff.
04-17-2011, 05:20 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
for "normal" photography, you need a flash which is P-TTL capable. Look for Pentax, Metz, Sigma and you will be on the safe side. Used equipment will fit into your budget constrains.
04-17-2011, 05:35 AM   #7
Veteran Member

I landed a Sigma 530 on marketplace for 125 bucks. Its TTL as powerful as my AF 540 from Pentax that was 360 bucks. Just a thought.

04-17-2011, 08:14 AM   #8
Veteran Member

I'm looking for a flash myself, and I've come to the conclusion that Metz offers the best quality/ $. They have a basic bouncing, P-TTL-capable model called Metz 36, for about $120. I think I'll go for the better Metz 50 AF-1 ($230). I've avoided flashes long enough, but now I think high ISO and large apertures are just not sufficient for night/ interior photos.
04-17-2011, 10:00 PM   #9

Original Poster
I think this Is further confusing me...

some are safe, some are not...
some are automatic, some are not....
I dont get it

what am looking for Is one I can use ontop the cam, and also as a gun, with an extension cord, and also maybe wireless?"

Is there one that can be used that way? and be safe?
04-18-2011, 01:14 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
wireless: use radio triggers, 30usd a set of 1 trigger + 1 receiver.
flashes: old manual vivitars, sunpak. not safe on camera, not p-ttl, but 10-15usd a piece. use it with the receiver.

<100usd for 2 flashes, 2 receivers and 1 trigger (~75usd)

Pretty fun if you have more than one.
Here with 4 cheap flashes, 10usd each ;-)
04-18-2011, 01:25 AM   #11

Original Poster
I thought the Pentax could trigger the receivers ?

so where where you getting these prices from?

thanks
04-18-2011, 02:04 AM   #12
Veteran Member

no, you need a radio trigger. pentax wireless are based on optical protocol. they communicate with serie of flashes (pre-flash). very handy, but they won't work properly when something blocked their view.

radio receiver isolates the dangerous voltage of old flashes. mine are of type pt04 from ebay. the cactus is a bit more expensive, but i found my is ok. 15usd pr unit last time i bought them.

old flashes are here, on the market place. thanks to fellow members who just upgrade to better units. i also get from ebay or local market as a lot of older stuff, film bodies, lenses. i look for power vary settings, tilt/sw and zoom head. it took some time to get mines.
04-18-2011, 02:34 AM   #13

Original Poster
ah okay, sorry to keep asking this, but am still confused...

so theres no flash I can use on the shoe mount, (top of my K-x) and as a gun/wireless ? if not thats fine, but which flash would work on top of the k-x and with a cord?

thanks
04-18-2011, 03:43 AM   #14
Veteran Member

then you should go for the sigma or the metz for the value.
I have the sigma 530 super. they have all pentax function/protocol build-in and act like pentax brand.

sigma 530 standard is ok if you need p-ttl, less than 100usd sometimes, but it's a stripped version, no wireless protocol build-in, no second curtain, pretty handicaped as my use.

For manual flashes, the LP120 is about the same price, fully manual designed by David Hobby 'the original strobist' for strobists, or the YN560 (75usd) or older model YN460ii (45usd).

As for cord, I haven't found a cheap cord that is reliable/durable, so I keep using radio triggers.

Try to search this forum for 'safe synch voltage' or similar. there are many other older flashes listed as safe in these threads.

Otherwise I also use nikon or canon from 3rd parties as long as they have manual power settings. Once you get used to off-camera flash, you never need to attach one to the camera body ;-)

Last edited by hoanpham; 04-18-2011 at 03:49 AM.
04-18-2011, 04:35 AM   #15
Veteran Member

I have both the Yongnuo 460 and a Metz 50. With wireless receivers they both work superbly off camera (on a tripod or stand for example) triggered by the on-camera pop-up flash. As mentioned the Yongnuo has a huge range of functions and settings even though not P-TTL - a really excellent manual flash.