Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-01-2011, 06:14 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
DIY TTL Macro Flash!

I was inspired by a DIY using a Pringles can as a gobo between the on camera TTL flash and a macro subject:

Use a Pringles Can as a Cheap Diffuser for Macro Photos

I decided I could improve on this and came up with my own (picture attached below).

Just rubber band your diffuser of choice on the end of the can and good to go.

What's nice about this design is there is no light leakage/loss from the back (it is reflected forward). Also it stays in place very well without any rubber bands--just by the friction of the cardboard against the camera flash.

UPDATE: I am going to play around with various angles on the end of the can.. Make on can where it is 90 degree angle and maybe another one inbetween. Maybe this angle isn't the best? But this one does make the light go straight down (or so) when camera is angled down a bit.

Attached Images

Last edited by geekette; 06-23-2011 at 12:32 AM.
06-01-2011, 07:02 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Nice variation. Show us the results!

But do I have to use the spicy Pringles?
06-01-2011, 07:05 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
pretty similar to my old rig

it works well enough

06-01-2011, 07:16 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by panoguy Quote
Nice variation. Show us the results!

But do I have to use the spicy Pringles?
Posting updated with before and after pics--just took them; in fact I just made this DIY pringles can thingy about an hour ago

Yes, you must use spicy; it will spice up the light in your photography.

06-01-2011, 07:18 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by enoeske Quote
pretty similar to my old rig

it works well enough

Enoeske, how did you get the fly to stay put lol. Looks REALLY good.
06-01-2011, 07:21 PM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by geekette Quote
Enoeske, how did you get the fly to stay put lol. Looks REALLY good.
patience
06-01-2011, 07:29 PM   #7
Forum Member

For a moment I thought you had build a TTL flash from scratch!

I saw that tutorial a couple of weeks ago, and it's a very clever hack. I guess you cut the Pringles can to fit your lens length, am I right?

06-01-2011, 07:45 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by erangel Quote
For a moment I thought you had build a TTL flash from scratch!

I saw that tutorial a couple of weeks ago, and it's a very clever hack. I guess you cut the Pringles can to fit your lens length, am I right?
Yeah and I left the end of the pringles can intact to avoid light loss/leakage. And I cut a rectangular hole in the can for it to slide on, so no need for rubberbands. So in summary, easier to pop on, no interference with lens and no light loss/leakage through back--and the angled end might be advantageous.. dunno yet.. probably good to have 2 or 3 different ones with different angles and play with em.
06-01-2011, 07:55 PM   #9
Inactive Account

Photos: Albums
I was inspired by a DIY using a Pringles can as a gobo between the on camera TTL flash and a macro subject:

Use a Pringles Can as a Cheap Diffuser for Macro Photos

I decided I could improve on this and came up with my own (picture attached below).

Just rubber band your diffuser of choice on the end of the can and good to go.

What's nice about this design is there is no light leakage/loss from the back (it is reflected forward). Also it stays in place very well without any rubber bands--just by the friction of the cardboard against the camera flash.

Before (without pringles can) :
Star Anise without DIY Pringles Can | Flickr - Photo Sharing!
After (with pringles can):
Star Anise with DIY Pringles Can | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

UPDATE: I am going to play around with various angles on the end of the can.. Make on can where it is 90 degree angle and maybe another one inbetween. Maybe this angle isn't the best? But this one does make the light go straight down (or so) when camera is angled down a bit.
Very nice! The slot in the can wall to slip over the pop-up flash was brilliant. The best shape at the exit end depends on where the subject sits with respect to the end of the can. The overall effect of the can will be roughly to redirect the flash beam along the can's axis.

One way to figure out what to do next is to put a plain piece of white paper about where the subject should be and see how the paper is illuminated.... use that as a guide to modify things - like squishing the end of the can down to reflect more light downwards.
06-01-2011, 08:08 PM   #10
Inactive Account

Photos: Albums
Yeah and I left the end of the pringles can intact to avoid light loss/leakage. And I cut a rectangular hole in the can for it to slide on, so no need for rubberbands. So in summary, easier to pop on, no interference with lens and no light loss/leakage through back--and the angled end might be advantageous.. dunno yet.. probably good to have 2 or 3 different ones with different angles and play with em.
Yours is a really good concept but I doubt the rear lid does much in saving light because I don't think there'll be much backscatter off the Pringle's can's aluminized interior surface.

If you need to reflect more light downwards, maybe you could reverse the can & use the shiny can bottom to reflect light where you want it to go.

Or just put tissue paper over the end of the can the way you've cut it in the photo.

Ooooo! I got it! Just put the plastic lid back on the open can! it will act as a diffuser; put a hole in the side of the can so the can sits in the right place for the lens/subject location you are using!
06-01-2011, 08:57 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by newarts Quote
Yours is a really good concept but I doubt the rear lid does much in saving light because I don't think there'll be much backscatter off the Pringle's can's aluminized interior surface.

If you need to reflect more light downwards, maybe you could reverse the can & use the shiny can bottom to reflect light where you want it to go.

Or just put tissue paper over the end of the can the way you've cut it in the photo.

Ooooo! I got it! Just put the plastic lid back on the open can! it will act as a diffuser; put a hole in the side of the can so the can sits in the right place for the lens/subject location you are using!
Very cool idea Yeah I put some diffuser over the end with a rubber band.
06-02-2011, 04:06 AM   #12
Veteran Member

what a great idea!

cheers
07-08-2011, 03:56 AM   #13
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

This really inspired me!

Thanks for bringing this great idea to our attention!

I used the full length Pringles tin with my FA100 f2.8 macro. Just cut the flash opening about an inch in from metal end and put a tissue over end then put Pringles clear cap over the top.
Amazed at how good it is.

Here is a 100% crop of an old 8748 microprocessor through its quartz window - took it hand held!

Micro 100% crop

Thanks again!
Attached Images