Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-22-2011, 03:11 PM   #1
Veteran Member

What I did to a Custom Brackets flash bracket?

Everyone knows Custom Brackets makes good (and expensive) flash brackets. So when I saw Custom Brackets QRS-35-H at $25, I couldn't resist. Here it is as when just pulled out of the box, no flash mount, no camera mount:

The first thing I thought about was how I could mount it on a tripod. I like Arca-Swiss compatible plates/clamps. Custom Brackets does sell an Arca-Swiss plate for the flash bracket (link) but I was not about to spend $30 for a plate to attach to a $25 bracket. So I searched my favorite store, KEH, and bought several replacement plates for $2 each. I then cut the replacement plate to fit Arca-Swiss clamps. I also made a threaded hole in the plate just in case I needed to attach something to it. In the first (left) photo below, on the right is a replacement plate, on the left is one after being "mutilated" (my son's term). The other photo shows the "new" plate and the foot of the bracket with the original plate about to be replaced.

Next, I had to figure out how to attach the camera to the bracket. Custom Brackets sells a kit of Arca-Swiss clamp/blade for $100 (link). But being too cheap for that, I bought a few camera mount plates from KEH (here is one link). Each was about $2.

The one on the left would be for the camera body without vertical grip and the one on the right for the camera body with grip.

When I attached the one on the left to the bracket and attempted to attach the camera body, I found out that the base of the plate was too low. The flash bracket would hit the lens barrel:

I was thinking about drilling some holes and flipping the camera mount plate over, then I thought of something: the Giottos clamp I had solved two problems: (1) it'd raise the bed of the mount, and (2) it'd allow me to use the plate (permanently) attached to the camera:

So now the flash bracket could accommodate the camera body with or without grip:

The last task was to mount the flash to the bracket.

The bracket itself did not come with a flash mount. Of course Custom Brackets sells a many flash mounts (link).

As you suspect, they are too costly for my blood.

I made a flash mount with a bracket from a burnt Metz 45CT-1, and some of hardware pieces I had laying around. The flash cord was a generic "Pentax p-TTL cord" bought from FleaBay. The flash mount I made didn't have "anti-twist" feature, but a rubber washer took care of that nicely. It can handle a heavy Quantum Qflash T2 without any problem.

Then I found out that the flash receiver (the part that connected the flash mount to the vertical bar of the flash bracket), if not really tightened, could twist and loosen itself. It came with a cock washer, but that didn't really help, particularly with a heavy flash like the Quantum T2. If the flash receiver was loosen, it could twist and hit the camera body (or my head ). I needed a more positive way to prevent the flash lock from twisting (Custom Brackets now ships "flash lock" that can't twist: link).

So I installed a "roll pin" in the flash receiver, and drilled a row of guide holes in the vertical bar to which the flash receiver was attached to. There is no way the flash receiver can twist:

The roll pin will not allow me to tilt the flash by turning the flash receiver, but I don't see a need for that, at least not often.

So here it is, the whole setup, not too shabby for less than $70, including the flash extension cord:

Last edited by SOldBear; 09-22-2011 at 06:08 PM.
09-23-2011, 01:31 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Nice work you done there, looks good.