Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-02-2012, 01:19 PM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
KAF3 mount????

The specs say: •Native KAF2/KAF3 mount.....

I've seen no mention of the KAF3 mount, and though I thought I knew
all the varients of the K mount----what is this?

02-02-2012, 01:25 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
KAF3 means the lens supports only SDM autofocus, i.e. the DA 18-135mm, 17-70, DA* 55mm are KAF3.

The DA * 50-135mm is a KAF2 because it supports both SDM and screwdrive AF, but it didn't get a new mount name, KAF2 simply means it has screwdrive AF.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
02-02-2012, 01:53 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
KAF3 means the lens supports only SDM autofocus, i.e. the DA 18-135mm, 17-70, DA* 55mm are KAF3.

The DA * 50-135mm is a KAF2 because it supports both SDM and screwdrive AF, but it didn't get a new mount name, KAF2 simply means it has screwdrive AF.
Now that SDM only has a name in the context of a body, I presume this
is our fair warning that the next generation of bodies will drop the other shoe
and support the KAF3 only, turning all of our FA vintage lenses into manual focus?
02-02-2012, 01:56 PM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by rvannatta Quote
Now that SDM only has a name in the context of a body, I presume this
is our fair warning that the next generation of bodies will drop the other shoe
and support the KAF3 only, turning all of our FA vintage lenses into manual focus?
KAF3 refers to lens mounts without screw-driven AF (DA*55, DA17-70 and DA18-135). I believe calling the mount on the camera body a "KAF2/KAF3" just means it will accept either screw or SDM/DC lenses. I don't think I would read any more into it than that

02-02-2012, 02:44 PM   #5
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by rvannatta Quote
The specs say: •Native KAF2/KAF3 mount.....

I've seen no mention of the KAF3 mount, and though I thought I knew
all the varients of the K mount----what is this?
The only place I've ever seen the KAF3 mentioned is in conjunction with the K01. So, I went back and looked at the pictures again and the one picture that shows the mount, still has the lug that drives the screw drive AF system (a good thing in my mind). I can't imagine Pentax dropping the screw drive lug from the DSLR bodies, but the world is still run by accountants looking for new money not photographers with older lenses.
02-02-2012, 02:51 PM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by calicojack Quote
The only place I've ever seen the KAF3 mentioned is in conjunction with the K01
It's definitely been used to describe the mounts of lenses without screw drives. As an example, the first line of the specs of the DA*55 under the line "Lens Mount" (link).
02-02-2012, 04:56 PM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by calicojack Quote
I can't imagine Pentax dropping the screw drive lug from the DSLR bodies, but the world is still run by accountants looking for new money not photographers with older lenses.
This would also totally undermine Pentax's reputation for backwards compatibility. I think (and hope) they have more sense than that.

02-02-2012, 05:52 PM   #8
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by dgaies Quote
It's definitely been used to describe the mounts of lenses without screw drives. As an example, the first line of the specs of the DA*55 under the line "Lens Mount" (link).
I too hope I am excessively paranoid, but applying KAF3 to a camera body
is nonsense. KAF2 says it all on a body. To be KAF it needs a screw drive,
and to be a KAF2 it needs the 2 internal contact points, it would make
more sense to describe a driveshaftless body as a "K2" mount. or a 'KA2' mount
as the reference has traditionally been a short hand of the features. removing
the driveshaft would be dropping the F. which got into the acronymn when the driveshaft was added to support the F series autofocus lenses.

Pentax never owned up to a new mount name when they 'crippled' the K mount.

the terminology I find bothersome.... as I recall what happened to the TTL
flash support.--- huh! What's that?