Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 71 Likes Search this Thread
02-08-2012, 12:46 AM   #226
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Frank,

How does the auto-iso speed work on the K-01? On K7/5, we have slow, med, fast which correspond to minimum shutter speeds in Av mode before ISO gets boosted. I'm hoping new cameras allow for manual setting of these minimum shutter speeds, instead of the default three options. That way, I could set my min speed to 1/FL for removing hand shake, or 1/250 for stopping motion.

02-08-2012, 01:23 AM   #227
ogl
Banned

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by frank Quote
No, I only saw the news this morning, and I don't know much about the new lens except it looks like a mocked up DA40 Ltd...
What is the buffer size in RAW and JPEG - and how fast to recover?
02-08-2012, 02:17 AM   #228
Forum Member

and size of video files too, if the camera shoots those!
02-08-2012, 02:45 AM   #229
Veteran Member

thanks for the posts!

for me i am not yet sold yet, if it had touchscreen to select a focus point & shoot then i would be interested

02-08-2012, 08:53 AM   #230
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by chickenandavocado Quote
thanks for the posts!

for me i am not yet sold yet, if it had touchscreen to select a focus point & shoot then i would be interested
that means you have to look elsewhere because Pentax doesn't have one to offer, atleast nothing of that this year.
02-08-2012, 11:06 AM   #231
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by ogl Quote
Do you remember all the pearl-clutching and garment-rending over the K-5's terribly tiny and slow buffer with its initial firmware release?

I think it's probably best not to analyze that aspect of the K-01 yet.
02-08-2012, 04:48 PM   #232
Forum Member

Thanks very much for the hands-on info on the K-01. I'm curious if anyone had a chance to mount a MF lens on it and try to focus manually with very shallow DOF? (I'm thinking wide open 50mm F1.2.). I'm wondering if the screen is sharp enough to really nail the focus? I can do it on my *istDL - barely - with the Katzeye screen, but my eyes aren't getting any better as time goes by, and I haven't tried it since I got progressive lenses (in my glasses). I'm considering a K-01, and if it makes focusing the 50/1.2 easier by making the viewfinder bigger, I may well be sold.

-JRS

Last edited by James_R_Strickland; 02-08-2012 at 06:05 PM.
02-08-2012, 05:56 PM   #233
Banned

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by James_R_Strickland Quote
Thanks very much for the hands-on info on the K-01. I'm curious if anyone had a chance to mount a MF lens on it and try to focus manually with very shallow DOF? (I'm thinking wide open 50mm F1.2.). I'm wondering if the screen is sharp enough to really nail the focus? I can do it on my *istDL - barely - with the Katzeye screen, but my eyes aren't getting any better as time goes by, and I haven't tried it since I got progressive lenses. I'm considering a K-01, and if it makes focusing the 50/1.2 easier by making the viewfinder bigger, I may well be sold.
If they fixed the issues with LiveView that were noticeable in SLRs, and with the added focus peaking feature, it should be easier to use fast lenses than with an OVF. However, I couldn't get a confirmation that the issues that bothered me in the SLR LiveView are gone with the K-01. That improvement alone would make the K-01 both interesting as well as promising for what the future Pentax cameras will be.
02-08-2012, 06:09 PM   #234
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Like... looks great in the flesh. THanks for sharing this Denis.
02-09-2012, 02:04 AM   #235

Thanks very much for the hands-on info on the K-01. I'm curious if anyone had a chance to mount a MF lens on it and try to focus manually with very shallow DOF? (I'm thinking wide open 50mm F1.2.). I'm wondering if the screen is sharp enough to really nail the focus? I can do it on my *istDL - barely - with the Katzeye screen, but my eyes aren't getting any better as time goes by, and I haven't tried it since I got progressive lenses (in my glasses). I'm considering a K-01, and if it makes focusing the 50/1.2 easier by making the viewfinder bigger, I may well be sold.

-JRS
Like the previous poster here, the K-01 has focus peaking. Google it, it's a fantastic feature for manual focus lenses.

The K-5 is great for manual focus though. I use it with my Pentax-A 50mm f/1.4 and Samyang 85mm f/1.4 with great success (for dance and portraits).

Last edited by netrex; 02-09-2012 at 02:48 AM.
02-09-2012, 05:50 AM   #236
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jeffshaddix Quote
Frank,

How does the auto-iso speed work on the K-01? On K7/5, we have slow, med, fast which correspond to minimum shutter speeds in Av mode before ISO gets boosted. I'm hoping new cameras allow for manual setting of these minimum shutter speeds, instead of the default three options. That way, I could set my min speed to 1/FL for removing hand shake, or 1/250 for stopping motion.
Sorry I never use auto-iso, don't know how it works ...

QuoteOriginally posted by ogl Quote
As I said earlier, it's a prototype only, the buffer isn't as per spec yet...

QuoteOriginally posted by Samuel H Quote
and size of video files too, if the camera shoots those!
I only tried fullHD w/ 30fps, 30 seconds takes about 80mb size. Quite a bit smaller than video file size from K5.

-JRS
Sorry I don't have a 50/1.2 anymore. But I could nail the focus pretty easily w/ LV on my K5 when I still had the A50/1.2, so it shouldn't be any problem on K-01
02-09-2012, 08:12 AM   #237
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by frank Quote
I only tried fullHD w/ 30fps, 30 seconds takes about 80mb size. Quite a bit smaller than video file size from K5.
Thanks, useful info!

Translates to about 20+ Mbit/s MP4 stream bitrate.

With the 2GB file size limit, the bitrate would have to drop to 11 Mbit/s to exploit the full 25 min. max. recording time.
02-09-2012, 08:22 AM   #238
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by falconeye Quote
Thanks, useful info!

Translates to about 20+ Mbit/s MP4 stream bitrate.

With the 2GB file size limit, the bitrate would have to drop to 11 Mbit/s to exploit the full 25 min. max. recording time.
This is pretty close to what had been estimated before using the recording limit and FAT32 file size limits. It's 4GB IIRC, not 2.

What I'm not too sure of is how much an IQ difference is in 1Mbit/s. The Panasonic GH1 was 17Mbit/s. The GH2 is 24Mbit/s. There is a noticeable difference there. But the GH1 is still pretty good.
02-09-2012, 09:09 AM   #239
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by johnmflores Quote
It's 4GB IIRC, not 2.
True, my bad

So, let's assume 22 Mbit/s then.

The quality depends more on the quality of codec than a few mbps more or less.
02-09-2012, 11:01 AM   #240
Forum Member

thanks for the bit of info about the video!

unfortunately, 21 Mbps at 30p is a lot lower than I was expecting (at least 24, hopefully 28, and that would be the bare minimum): unlees this thing gets hacked, you can close the "cult video camera" thread