Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-04-2012, 08:25 AM   #76
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Docrwm Quote
I want to thank the Singapore Pentaxians and the Singapore Pentax Representative for allowing us, at least vicariously, to get some actual user impressions and output from the K-01 and its 40XS lens!

Excellent guys - Thanks!!
+1

Thanks!

02-04-2012, 08:30 AM   #77
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by LFLee Quote
Why, then the XS lenses were advertise to use only on mirrorless camera?

Comparing with and without 40mm lens price of K-01, the lens is only $150..... great price.
Hope Pentax Ricoh undo Hoya crazy price increase on lenses and come out with more reasonable pricing on new lenses.

Will definitely get one if they are fully compatible with old cameras...
Well, it certainly works well on a K-5/K-r/K-x (that's what we tested today I think). Pity I only got an MX film camera w/ me right now, otherwise I don't mind shooting one roll of film w/ this new lens to test out

We compared the glass (size mostly) between this new 40 XS and the 40 Ltd, really hard to tell if there is any difference at all. The aperture blades are a little bit curved, so the new lens might produce a bit round high light background at F4 to F5.6 (sorry I only used the lens wide open, never really stopped it down yet) like the DFA100WR macro.
02-04-2012, 08:32 AM   #78
Veteran Member

One more question: Have you try SDM lenses on K-01??
Yes, we tried a 16-50 on the new camera, AF speed is about the same as on a K-5 in LiveView (contrast detection AF). But again, this is just a protype, we can't make any judgetment base on what we've tested.
02-04-2012, 08:34 AM   #79
Veteran Member

Original Poster
The prototype K-01 we used does not feature the auto zoom when focusing. The great thing about this camera is the number of focus points and the face detection tracking. My advise to everyone is get rid of all previous presuppositions about CDAF focusing derived from the current Pentax DSLRs. Evaluate the K-01 on it's own merits and break out of the dogmatic mindset about what or how the K-01 ought to be. Don't be a doubting Thomas even before handling this camera.

Please note that Live View on current Pentax DSLRs is a lot more accurate than conventional AF. Similarly focus is pretty much spot on with the K-01.

02-04-2012, 08:40 AM   #80
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The caption above the photo of the lady, taken by "cream puff" in a very dark setting, indicates that it was handheld. ISO 6400 at f/2.8. Pretty impressive.

Last edited by chuck_c; 02-04-2012 at 08:50 AM. Reason: additional info
02-04-2012, 08:41 AM   #81
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by frank Quote
Yes, we tried a 16-50 on the new camera, AF speed is about the same as on a K-5 in LiveView (contrast detection AF). But again, this is just a protype, we can't make any judgetment base on what we've tested.
Thanks Frank!

Thats a great news so XS lenses can be used on old bodies. Did the K-01 drive the SDM motor or screw drive of DA* lenses?
Sorry too many questions since the info of new XS lenses are so confusing.
02-04-2012, 08:45 AM   #82
Veteran Member

Thanks Frank!

Thats a great news so XS lenses can be used on old bodies. Did the K-01 drive the SDM motor or screw drive of DA* lenses?
Sorry too many questions since the info of new XS lenses are so confusing.
I didn't hear any sound (inside a McDonald which was pretty noisy) when the camera/lens did the focus, so I guess it's the SDM which did the focusing.

02-04-2012, 08:53 AM   #83
Veteran Member

Thanks to Singapore Pentaxians :-)

If you don't mind, please post similar thread and photos over at DPreview when they come in. I posted a link to this thread from over there. Share the news.

Thanks!
02-04-2012, 08:54 AM - 1 Like   #84
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ihasa Quote
What a happy bunch the Singaporean Pentaxians look!
You got that right, we are indeed a very happy bunch

02-04-2012, 08:58 AM   #85

Photos: Albums
wow this amazing. Would really want to see some output from k-01 with one of the FA limited!
Although you guys have seen enough K-01 photos, here I share a few taken by myself anyway:

K-01 w 40 XS:

The new 40mm lens is really really thin, and it got a unique push-on type rubber lens cap:

I just lover to take those silver FA Limited lenses, they look pretty good on the new K-01 camera:
02-04-2012, 09:04 AM - 1 Like   #86
Veteran Member

May as well throw in my 2 cents on the K-01. It looks ok, although I like the old style looks myself. My problem is no viewfinder. I don't think it's been mentioned, but I think this will be a problem for eyeglass wearers like me. I wear bifocals, and there is no way I can use a LCD screen for focus and composition, too much strain on my neck to hold my head up to see the screen. I also wear prescription sunglasses that are not bifocal, only distance lens. I wear these outside, so to use the K-01 outside I would constantly have to remove my sunglasses and put on my bifocals. This camera is not for us old folks with bad eyesight.
02-04-2012, 09:29 AM   #87

Thanks Frank , for giving me the chance to touch the K-01 today . Ha . it's a good experience

Thanks creampuff for this thread too .

02-04-2012, 09:32 AM   #88
Veteran Member

Original Poster
You got that right, we are indeed a very happy bunch
Great photo with the K-01 with the DA 21mm Limited bro.
And there's more Pentax users that showed up later but are not in the picture.
I guess we're all pleased as punch to know how much the K-01 will cost...
02-04-2012, 09:37 AM   #89
Veteran Member

Did you guys try any remote shots? The group pic perhaps? I see a sensor on the front of the camera but don't recall seeing one on the back, is there one on the back too?
02-04-2012, 09:42 AM - 1 Like   #90
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by bluestringer Quote
May as well throw in my 2 cents on the K-01. It looks ok, although I like the old style looks myself. My problem is no viewfinder. I don't think it's been mentioned, but I think this will be a problem for eyeglass wearers like me. I wear bifocals, and there is no way I can use a LCD screen for focus and composition, too much strain on my neck to hold my head up to see the screen. I also wear prescription sunglasses that are not bifocal, only distance lens. I wear these outside, so to use the K-01 outside I would constantly have to remove my sunglasses and put on my bifocals. This camera is not for us old folks with bad eyesight.
I beg to differ. I use glasses and do use bifocals and reading glasses but I got no issue looking at the LCD screen. In fact, I think it's actually better than squinting into a tiny viewfinder trying or hoping that the focusing screen accurately reflect that things are sharp and in focus. Give it a try and you'll find the K-01 isn't so difficult to use.