Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-12-2012, 10:12 AM   #1
Veteran Member

M*300mm w/focus peaking

I would love to use focus peaking with my M*...but I haven't seen any example pictures with a lens of this size with a K-01.
Any experience?

04-12-2012, 01:22 PM   #2
Forum Member

Shouldn't be a hassle or much different from 200+ lens I have. I don't know why people question K-01's ability to mount and use a longer lens. If anything it should be a reasonable combo considering size and the ability to use focus peaking. So many of the "won't work" brigade are the same crew of damnation without using the camera or in many cases not even having one. The same rules apply as have to any SLR for the past 50 years. However, I use MF with all lens.
04-12-2012, 01:32 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by WWWench Quote
Shouldn't be a hassle or much different from 200+ lens I have. I don't know why people question K-01's ability to mount and use a longer lens. If anything it should be a reasonable combo considering size and the ability to use focus peaking. So many of the "won't work" brigade are the same crew of damnation without using the camera or in many cases not even having one. The same rules apply as have to any SLR for the past 50 years. However, I use MF with all lens.
I'm not thinking that it "won't work", but it is a cantilevered mass and i'm just curious what are folks experiences with the K-01 and a telephoto lens.
It's obviously not bad with pancakes and smaller lenses, but I would love to utilize the focus peaking with longer lenses (long telephoto autofocus lenses are so pricey )
04-12-2012, 03:11 PM   #4
Banned

Photos: Albums
Sure the Pentax looks great with the Pancake lens' and also the limited line.

I've taken quite the number of pics with the 60-250mm f4.0 lens (quite one of the larger lens in both size, weight, and even filter size; complete with tripod collar). The pics have been taken at every conceivable focal length and aperature - both in fully automatic (not my prefered setting) and also in full manual - including full manual focus.

I've found the full manual focus works well with this lens; focus peaking included. I have also tried out the 300mm f2.8 on the K-01 and also had zero issues.

Darn I've even tried different variations of "mirrored" lens (such as 500mm <fized at> f8.0) and it still works quite impressively - and might I add at about the same workable range as any SLR, such as K-5, F-4, etc... To go an even further extreme I've even had the K-01 on the end of a 20k Meade telescope - still no issues.

IF in doubt... Establish a relationship with a local camera store (even a BestBuy while they are still in business) and see if you can borrow a lens. If by chance they might nolt have it in stock; might I also suggest joining a local camera club and possibly tactfully asking fellow members to borrow lens'. The last possible option; there are places throughout the country; in places such as NYC & LA that do rent about any type of equipment - which is a worthy option to try before you buy.

04-12-2012, 03:27 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Medium FormatPro Quote
Sure the Pentax looks great with the Pancake lens' and also the limited line.

I've taken quite the number of pics with the 60-250mm f4.0 lens (quite one of the larger lens in both size, weight, and even filter size; complete with tripod collar). The pics have been taken at every conceivable focal length and aperature - both in fully automatic (not my prefered setting) and also in full manual - including full manual focus.

I've found the full manual focus works well with this lens; focus peaking included. I have also tried out the 300mm f2.8 on the K-01 and also had zero issues.
Cool, this is exactly the feedback i have been looking for. Thanks
04-14-2012, 10:31 AM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I've so far just initially played around with a K200/2.5 which has such a large front element (77mm) that it is a mass hound (950g - almost a Kilo).

Lens Review Data

As far as the focus peaking itself - does everything it should do. High contrast areas in-focus are outlined brightly. The focus plane moves around the FoV very nicely. I've watched the sharpest focus area move from one edge of a flower petal to the pistil as I rotated the focus ring. I like focus peaking more with each use - I'm not even sure I need a viewfinder any more.

I imagine my use of the lens on the K-01 will be identical to using it on an MESuper since they are quite close in size and mass. I hold the K-01 LCD very close to my face, so the issue with quality output is body motion at my preferred aperture for the lens, f/5.6. I use it primarily for isolating single objects against a blurred background so I frequently have a very shallow focus plane. I've used that lens on a number of film cameras - any problems are user error, not camera or lens.

Works just great with a tripod.

Last edited by monochrome; 04-14-2012 at 10:43 AM.
04-14-2012, 02:37 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I have used K-01 with a*200 macro and DA*300. Mostly on tripod. They work fine. I don't use focus peaking much. Find it confusing - it may work for me with practice. At the moment prefer manual focusing on lcd without focus peaking. In favorite K-01 thread I posted mating snakes moving thru tree with 300.

My friends are avid bird photographers. Their main interest is birds in flight( bif). Cameras have reddot rifle scopes mounted on hotshoe. They shoot their canikon DSLRs without using the viewfinder! Track bird with reddot and assume AF will nail it. Sometimes they miss focus but they are shooting without camera viewfinder or lcd! Pretty amazing.
thanks
barondla

I also use the Q with the 200 & 300. This is equivalent to 1000 to 1650mm field of view. Tripod only. Modern cameras can do much more than most people give them credit for. It takes an open minded photographer and some practice. Both seeem in short supply.