Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-14-2012, 07:56 PM   #1

Photos: Gallery
Questions about K-01 lens compatibility/M42/adapters?

I am going to get a K-01. I do not care about arguments about it being blocky or ugly or whatever; my eyes were damaged as a result of multiple sclerosis, and I found myself unable to use my Nikon DSLR in any unpainful way as a result. My first DSLR was a Pentax way back six years ago, and I have an old Ricoh SLR K-mount camera, so I have some K-mount lenses. The design of the K-01, which puts the controls back on the body of the camera, is a dream come true for me, so I'm getting one, and I don't care if people think I'm toting a toy around (I've been shooting exclusively film lately, and half my cameras are toys anyway, ha ha ha.)

I have a couple of nice M42 Carl Zeiss Jena lenses which I would like to use with this camera and I would like to know if anyone knows of any issues with adapting M42 screw mount lenses to the K-01? Any issues or limitations with operating it in full manual mode (such as video not being available in manual or whatever - just tossing that one out)?

Thanks all ...

02-14-2012, 07:59 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The limitations are the same as they would be on DSLRs.

See here: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-lens-articles/110657-how-use-meter...k-x-k-7-a.html
02-14-2012, 08:01 PM   #3

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
The limitations are the same as they would be on DSLRs.

See here: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-lens-articles/110657-how-use-meter...k-x-k-7-a.html
Great, so no changes at all? Thank you for your super-fast response!
02-14-2012, 08:48 PM   #4
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Yup, that's correct. You'll be able to shoot with those lenses in Av mode or M mode.

The K-01 isn't a toy (though it sort of looks like one)- Pentax's focus with this body was image quality and features. It can do everything that a K-r can, and also shares some features with the K-5. Its video is a key improvement over both cameras, however.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
02-15-2012, 08:10 AM   #5
Inactive Account

Personally I don't think the K-01 looks like a toy (the yellow one, maybe a little ), and with it's new sensor the produced images sure won't look like it. And that's what really matters in the end, right?
My wife loved the design of it (specially the yellow one...) and the new video capabilities. The K mount is a great plus, so we're probably gonna get it as well. I'm really interested in the focus peak options. Getting the focus right on my K-r with my 50mm 1.2f is really hard, and my eyesight is fine. I'm hoping this new features help a lot on manual focus.
Can't wait for some solid reviews to make my final decision.
02-16-2012, 07:22 AM   #6

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by luizpaulo Quote
Personally I don't think the K-01 looks like a toy (the yellow one, maybe a little ), and with it's new sensor the produced images sure won't look like it. And that's what really matters in the end, right?
My wife loved the design of it (specially the yellow one...) and the new video capabilities. The K mount is a great plus, so we're probably gonna get it as well. I'm really interested in the focus peak options. Getting the focus right on my K-r with my 50mm 1.2f is really hard, and my eyesight is fine. I'm hoping this new features help a lot on manual focus.
Can't wait for some solid reviews to make my final decision.
Reading through the thread here from the fellow from the Singapore user group helped nail it for me, and I have one on pre-order. I fully understand that the street price will be lower after it has been out for a month or so, but I have been without a serious digital camera for over a year now, so shelling out the extra money to get it when it ships is worth it to me.

I ordered the white design and I went ahead and got the kit 40mm lens, too. I am as excited as a 5-year-old waiting for the arrival of Santa Claus. I hope there are no serious delays in the shipping of the camera.
02-16-2012, 11:03 AM   #7
Inactive Account

Once you buy it, don't bother looking up the price for it anymore. Just make sure to make every penny you paid for it worth it by extracting all that the camera can prove you!
Make sure you post a personal review once you get it

02-16-2012, 01:18 PM - 1 Like   #8
Banned

I use my Pentax DSLRs with a myriad of lenses and scopes and the K-01 will be used on all of them.
02-16-2012, 03:01 PM   #9

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by luizpaulo Quote
Once you buy it, don't bother looking up the price for it anymore. Just make sure to make every penny you paid for it worth it by extracting all that the camera can prove you!
Make sure you post a personal review once you get it
Oh, I will. Do not worry about that!

The first accessory I plan to get for it will be some sort of shade for the LCD screen. I not think, at this time, that I will need a full LCDVF. I could be wrong, but to start with I'm going to get something called the Flipbac, which not only works as a shade at different angles but also mirrors the viewfinder so you can frame the camera into spaces that you'd otherwise need to get low down or otherwise break your need to be unobtrusive, or (in my case) get really uncomfortable physically. It does give a mirror image of your scene, but since I'm very used to working with twin-lens reflex cameras and their mirror-image viewfinders, this doesn't bother me at all.