Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2987 Likes Search this Thread
03-18-2012, 04:34 AM   #61

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by bossa Quote
Hmm.. you forgot to mention that you are King Alfred.. or Alfred The Great. Please, tell me that is NOT your palace?

Nice shots BTW.
Ha ha! If only! It’s a National Trust property called Hinton Ampner. I find it a good place to try out new cameras or lenses. I'm pleased you liked the photos. I'm about to post some more from this superb little camera.

03-18-2012, 04:47 AM   #62

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
All the shots look great and the control of focus seems spot on in all of them to date. I don't see anyone whinging about the lack of a OVF either. So how does the LCD come up in the sun?
For the first time yesterday, I had a little trouble seeing the screen when standing at certain angles in the sun. Of course, I didn't have my big wide-brimmed sun hat on to help with shading (and I could have used it, too - man, it was HOT yesterday!)
03-18-2012, 04:54 AM - 1 Like   #63

Here are some photos taken with a manual focus lens, the Pentax-A 50/1.4, at the National Motor Museum at Beaulieu.

The first and last were shot at ISO 1250, the second at ISO 3200.

The absence of an electronic viewfinder is a non issue for me. I find the 3 inch view screen with image magnification and focus peaking superior for manual focusing.

03-18-2012, 04:58 AM   #64
Veteran Member

That F1 car looks amazing.

03-18-2012, 05:38 AM   #65

A couple more from Beaulieu, this time with the Pentax-A 28/2.8. Both shot at ISO 3200, which I still think of as a very high ISO value (I can't remember ever going above 400 ASA in the old days). The K-01 sensor takes it in its stride.

03-18-2012, 06:46 AM   #66

Great shots, everyone. I am more and more impressed by what this camera is capable of.

bossa asked how the LCD works in the sun: This photo was taken about 10 AM yesterday morning with the sun behind my right shoulder. I was using a Super-Tak 35/3.5 with focus peaking, The ISO was still high (1600) from earlier dim light shooting and I had forgotten to turn it down, so exposure was 1/4000 at f/5.6. The focus peaking worked very well, highlighting the central parts of the flower, and was usably visible even with the glare off the LCD screen.

03-18-2012, 07:11 AM   #67
Veteran Member

I don't think that I'm imagining this, I may well be, but these shots all seem to show a more refined focus than many I've seen from the K-5. Is this because of Focus Peaking or is it just my imagination?

03-18-2012, 07:39 AM   #68

Original Poster

The sky looks purple; I thought the WB might be off, but what's happening is that there are a bunch of little red bits of foliage combining with the blue sky to give it that cast.
03-18-2012, 07:51 AM - 1 Like   #69
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I don't think that I'm imagining this, I may well be, but these shots all seem to show a more refined focus than many I've seen from the K-5. Is this because of Focus Peaking or is it just my imagination?
Focus Peaking is quite useful.

As focus is touched up the outlines around high contrast areas brighten, then dim as you move past optimal. It is thus possible to really zero the focus. Auto zoom enhances this technique further (but has some issues since you lose the composition control).

In shots with narrow DOF the most in-focus area, denoted by the brightest outline (or any outline at all) moves around the frame as you change focus. I've watched the pistill and stamen of a hibiscus alternate best focus with the nearest flower petal. This is really cool stuff!!

I think it is going to take quite some time to learn all the powerful capabilities of this surprising camera. Pentax may have a real hit here if we just let open our minds.

I'm serious!
03-18-2012, 08:02 AM   #70
Inactive Account

Forgive me!

Hi, please forgive me since my K-01 has just had an age of about 6 hours. Below is my best shot so far...actually my fourth shot since it was born

Regards, Joe

DA 40mm F2.8 ISO400, 1/4 sec & F4

Last edited by pcwindfall2012; 03-18-2012 at 08:26 AM.
03-18-2012, 08:22 AM   #71
Veteran Member

I think the K-01 shots are sharper than the K-5 shots, even raw. Don't know if that's internal processing, focusing or what.
03-18-2012, 08:23 AM   #72
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by pcwindfall2012 Quote
Hi, please forgive me since my K-01 has just had an age of about 6 hours. Below is my my best shot so far...actually my fourth shot since it was born

Regards, Joe

DA 40mm F2.8 ISO400, 1/4 sec & F4
Nice shot of it's "sibling".
03-18-2012, 08:37 AM   #73
Veteran Member

Some shots taken over last weekend (K-01+40XS):
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-01  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-01  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-01  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-01  Photo 
03-18-2012, 08:43 AM - 1 Like   #74
Forum Member

Using FA77 Limited

Daughter ready for a dancing competition.

03-18-2012, 09:08 AM   #75
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
Focus Peaking is quite useful.

As focus is touched up the outlines around high contrast areas brighten, then dim as you move past optimal. It is thus possible to really zero the focus. Auto zoom enhances this technique further (but has some issues since you lose the composition control).

In shots with narrow DOF the most in-focus area, denoted by the brightest outline (or any outline at all) moves around the frame as you change focus. I've watched the pistill and stamen of a hibiscus alternate best focus with the nearest flower petal. This is really cool stuff!!

I think it is going to take quite some time to learn all the powerful capabilities of this surprising camera. Pentax may have a real hit here if we just let open our minds.

I'm serious!
I really wish I can get this camera, only because of focus peaking. I desperately want the k-5 replacement to have focus peaking in live-view mode. I need my next camera to be WR, so it just kills me to see how fun the K-01 is, but without WR I just don't want to get it T_T...

Amazing shots all around here...