Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-25-2012, 12:58 PM   #1
Banned

Photos: Gallery
Video interview

So I jumped into it and did a real video interview with my K-01.

Since it is in Dutch you maybe can look at things I have to improve for my next interview (if there is one).

Sharona Bakker is Dutch atletic, champion in 100m hurdles and has this friday her series 100m hurdles at the European Championship Atletics in Helsinki.

06-27-2012, 12:38 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Nice work. I really like the fact that you interviewed her in her element rather than having her sit in a chair.

I am curious; what lens did you use? What sharpening setting? Unfortunately, there is very little detail in her face, and poor dynamic range. Perhaps this can be corrected by using different settings, or by using a low contrast filter. Of course, you can always do it the old fashioned way: by adding more light to the scene.
06-27-2012, 01:32 AM   #3
Banned

Original Poster
Well she is smooth as a babybottom (is that nice to say? Since I mean it in the nicest way).

The interview talking with DA*55mm and the first part and ball pushing with FA31mm and balancing with DA40mm Ltd. I did bring light, but descided not to use it since that changes the whole scene. For that you get some noise in inmage and less vibrant colouring.

The scenery was the working place at her home Atletics team. Outside it was raining and this cooling down training was sceduled. There where 4 athletes working at the time.
06-27-2012, 07:17 AM   #4
Banned

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by fuent104 Quote
What sharpening setting? Unfortunately, there is very little detail in her face, and poor dynamic range. Perhaps this can be corrected by using different settings, or by using a low contrast filter. Of course, you can always do it the old fashioned way: by adding more light to the scene.
Looked at it, and set the camera in Av mode. With f4.0 for the interviewpart, wich could mean like iso 640 (1/30th) to iso 1250 (1/60th), depending on the choices the camera makes, or so since the light was 6EV.

I choose Portrait and put the sharpening on extra for two clicks, wich I choose for stills, but maybe a little to much for moviemode..

06-27-2012, 01:24 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Interesting stuff. For interviews, I find it distracting when I see the changes due to auto exposure. I personally prefer to have the auto exposure locked.

Did you use focus peaking? How helpful do you find it? Can you also zoom into the image before recording to get critical focus while using peaking? How do you find manually focusing the lenses you mentioned?

I've never encountered any of those lenses - I am using M series lenses for video purposes. They work great, though...
06-27-2012, 01:41 PM   #6
Veteran Member

It looks quite good, just the lighting conditions (her face is in the shadow, while the window is bright sunlight outside) made the dynamic range look bad. Did you use any external lamps?
06-27-2012, 02:09 PM   #7
Banned

Original Poster
Interesting stuff. For interviews, I find it distracting when I see the changes due to auto exposure. I personally prefer to have the auto exposure locked.

Did you use focus peaking? How helpful do you find it? Can you also zoom into the image before recording to get critical focus while using peaking? How do you find manually focusing the lenses you mentioned?

I've never encountered any of those lenses - I am using M series lenses for video purposes. They work great, though...
Yeah, I know. With K-5 I know how to lock the exposure, but I couldn't find a way to do that with K-01. I guess I have to read the manual for that. Changing to M-mode was a good idea for that.

I used focus peaking, but just for confirmation, since I did do AF on all of this. Just changing the position of AF-field to use. Yes you can zoom in with focus peaking, with the wheal you can turn to 2x/4x/6x zoom. The manual zooming is very easy for DA*55 and FA31mm, the throw-back from DA40 is very short. I also have FA*85, but I never switch that to manual focus, since my clutch is a little at risk on this lens.

QuoteOriginally posted by JinDesu Quote
It looks quite good, just the lighting conditions (her face is in the shadow, while the window is bright sunlight outside) made the dynamic range look bad. Did you use any external lamps?
I didn't used any other light then that what was already available inside. That where some windows, two doors and a few TL-lights where on next to reflections coming from white walls and metal of machinery. My intention was to blend in in the room for the work-out and not being opstrucktive in any way. The room was maybe like 40 square meters. For that I took the washed-out window/door as part of life.

06-27-2012, 02:10 PM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by RonHendriks1966 Quote
Yeah, I know. With K-5 I know how to lock the exposure, but I couldn't find a way to do that with K-01. I guess I have to read the manual for that. Changing to M-mode was a good idea for that.

I used focus peaking, but just for confirmation, since I did do AF on all of this. Just changing the position of AF-field to use. Yes you can zoom in with focus peaking, with the wheal you can turn to 2x/4x/6x zoom. The manual zooming is very easy for DA*55 and FA31mm, the throw-back from DA40 is very short. I also have FA*85, but I never switch that to manual focus, since my clutch is a little at risk on this lens.

I didn't used any other light then that what was already available inside. That where some windows, two doors and a few TL-lights where on next to reflections coming from white walls and metal of machinery. My intention was to blend in in the room for the work-out and not being opstrucktive in any way. The room was maybe like 40 square meters. For that I took the washed-out window/door as part of life.
If that's the case, then it's as good as it can be. I didn't really see a "loss of detail" - everything looked nice and clean.

Then again, I'm at work watching the low-res version - side note, youtube applies a bit of compression to all their videos. If you can upload the video to something like Vimeo, that'd be even better.
06-27-2012, 02:27 PM   #9
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by RonHendriks1966 Quote
So I jumped into it and did a real video interview with my K-01.

Sharona Bakker - YouTube

Since it is in Dutch you maybe can look at things I have to improve for my next interview (if there is one).

Sharona Bakker is Dutch atletic, champion in 100m hurdles and has this friday her series 100m hurdles at the European Championship Atletics in Helsinki.
That was a great video interview !
06-28-2012, 03:35 PM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by JinDesu Quote
Then again, I'm at work watching the low-res version - side note, youtube applies a bit of compression to all their videos. If you can upload the video to something like Vimeo, that'd be even better.
Not to start a debate, I am genuinely interested: what do you find to be superior about Vimeo? I find the user interface to be superior, but all other features inferior.
06-28-2012, 08:13 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Not to start a debate, I am genuinely interested: what do you find to be superior about Vimeo? I find the user interface to be superior, but all other features inferior.
Only the video quality - my understanding (and seeing the same video on both sites) is that youtube compresses the HD video and loses a bit of quality/creates some artifacts. Vimeo's high-def is much better looking in comparison.

As far as features go, I cannot really comment as I only use youtube/vimeo to watch videos.
06-29-2012, 12:44 AM   #12
Veteran Member

That's very interesting. Most of the computers I've been around have trouble playing files on Vimeo, including my own computer. Also, Youtube lets you post videos that are up to 2 gigs in size, whereas Vimeo restricts the file size to 0.5 gigs for general purposes.
06-29-2012, 01:11 AM   #13
Banned

Original Poster
And then the adventure of Sharona at the EC in Helsinki is ended with a 6th place in her series and only 13.59 seconds as her time. To bad, her personal time would have been enough to go to the semi-finals (making my interview looked at a lot more )
06-30-2012, 02:17 AM   #14
Veteran Member

Maybe fade to black when switching to a different clip instead of abruptly showing the next scene.