Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-04-2013, 08:38 AM - 3 Likes   #1
Veteran Member

My K-01 Firmware "1.04" Wish List - Add yours too ?

Time for an Edit! Still would love what's missing to pop up in v1.05
New sections in Bold Type.

Most of this will make sense to Videographers and Film Makers,..
Feel free to add suggestions, with any luck the Pentax engineers will have a read and take up the challenge.

Edit: So lets see if editing the post works, and I'll try list everyone's suggestions here.
I'm splitting them in to Photo, Video and General categories.

Video,.
(Yes, I'm that self interested,...)

- Clean Feed HDMI output during recording - for use with external recorders like the Atamos with it's own LCD.
Not done yet,... but we can hope.
And please, leave the LCD Enabled when HDMI is plugged in, there's no reason to disable it. Having the LCD and the HDMI working together will make the camera extremely useful for Live Streaming use, when feeding HDMI based Vision Switchers like the BMD Atem.

- 48, 96, 144 and 192 shutter speeds - the multiples of 48 for when shooting video at 24fps.
Please Please Please Pentax ???

- 60, 120, 240, 480 etc - Shutter speeds for 30fps video.
Ditto!

- Options to choose higher MP4 bit rates - matching the 40 plus mbit/sec of the Canon's will make mixing footage in edits easy.
- Option to choose a Constant Bit Rate, at 30, 40 or 50 mbit/sec if the CPU can handle it.
Can't repeat these loudly enough. 21Mbits is just not enough, it's okay for basic editing, but starts to show limitations when Colour Grading.

- Option to 'click on, click off' the exposure preview when using manual lenses - this would mean not having to record on camera if the HDMI can be enabled. (Especially as the firmware already supports switching off the power saving options)
No longer an issue since the ISO Auto Gain was fixed, now if only we could have Clean Feed HDMI Output in 1.05 ???

- Option to swap Focus Peaking colour.

- Option to bump the audio sampling rate up to 44.1 or 48kHz

- Audio Level Meters in the OSD

- Option to set Log curves to sensor data - Adding a 'Custom' user defined setting instead of editing a preset.

- Option to be able to fix or turn off the auto ramping of the ISO when iris set to f-stop instead of 'A'
Yay for this being done in 1.04

- Support of ExFat formatted cards and file sizes. - No file size limits when recording.

- Split File Recording - Automatically start a new recording when the maximum file size is reached on FAT32 SD Cards.

- Cinema DNG Raw Compressed video ?
( That's just so I won't have to buy a BMD Pocket Cine camera and MFT to K-Mount adapter. )

- "Film" profile that records all of the sensor dynamic range in to the video file, instead of just the REC 709 standard dynamic range.

- No sensor cropping when SR is set OFF in video mode, so the whole width of the sensor is used.

Photo,.
Anyone care to let me know about which of these was done?

- The ability to assign a custom button to "set focal length" so I can use my manual zooms more easily

- The ability to use the red button to meter my manual lenses.

- Allow internal flash to master for external P-ttl slave flashes

- Sensor tilt-shift using the shake reducer

- Leave lenses fully open during focusing, both A and M focusing

- Bracketing with remote

- 5 shot bracketing

- Support for Tethered Shooting in Adobe Lightroom.

General,.

- WYSIWYG Preview Mode. i.e. the LCD image shows what the exposure is.

- Option to adjust EV when MANUAL and AUTO ISO are in use together
With the ISO in Auto in Av or P modes, hitting the +/- button brings up the EV adjustment.
Ditto with Av and P in Video Mode.
In Manual mode, same button brings up the EV, but it seems to be linked to the shutter speed. My test was with the lens set to a manual Iris position. When set to "A" the EV function disappears. Also when the Iris is set manually, the camera displays TAv instead of M in the LCD.

- Lower ISO numbers in both Photo and Video modes.

- More ISO settings between the current numbers - 60/80/120/160/240/320/480/640/960/1280/1920/2400/2560
Strangely enough, I had a situation where I more then enough light to shoot with, and was recording video with the ISO set to Auto IIRC, and was able to watch the ISO numbers going up and down, displaying numbers that are not selectable by the user.,
Been a few months and didn't think much of it at the time, and I'm stuffed if I can repeat it while trying tonight....,

EDIT: Remembered where and how the ISO numbers show up.
Put camera in M, set ISO to Auto: 100-3200, set the the shutter speed and f-stop while watching the ISO number displayed change.

100, 125, 160, 200, 250, 320, 400, 500, 640, 800, 1000, 1250, 1600, 2000, 2500, 3200 are the ISO numbers the camera can choose from.
So why can the user only select 100, 200, 400, 800, 1600, 3200. ???

- Ability to set Auto Ranges at the low end of the ISO range.

- Option for the histogram to display the predicted exposure result. (particularly useful when the lens is wide open for focus peaking)

- Support of GPS unit O-GPS1, specifically support for "Simple Nav" and "Astrotracer" products.

- Ability to assign Red and Green button to 'Next' or 'Previous' image during Playback mode, to navigate without exiting 'Zoom'.

- Option to switch green button to red and red to green. Make any function assignable to either.
The list of assignments appears identical with the exception of being able to swap the buttons themselves.

- Option to assign Focus Magnification to the Red/Green buttons

- More options with non-A lenses so we don't need to put tape on the lens contacts.
I think the correction of the ISO Auto Gain with Manual Iris and K-Manual lenses has negated the need to modify lenses.

- General improvements to Autofocus performance.
Yay for the improvements everyone has noticed so far.

- Ability to turn on or off single items in the On Screen Display

- Ability to activate Only Bright or Only Dark area display, and to be able to change the colour used for each.

And that's about it, I think I've edited in everyone's suggestions so far.

My personal experience is just getting better.,
I expected I'd get good photo's from my brand spanking new K-01, and so far the video is good, Rolling Shutter Skew on tripod is no better or worse then any other DSLR. It's got the potential to be, well, close to perfect, especially if the data rate could be lifted.
I can't praise the Pentax engineers enough, having had a P30n for the last 22 years, and getting a value-priced K-01 to use classic manual lenses on short films and music videos.

One extra note,.. Video Time Remaining Countdown,... YES YES YES THANKYOU !
I can't tell you how much of a big step up from 'other' DSLR brands that it, which just offer a number counting down to zero with no reference to space or time.
Ditto for the same display in playback.

Last edited by PiDicus Rex; 01-03-2014 at 02:35 AM. Reason: Addition Information and Formatting
05-04-2013, 08:56 AM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Well, the K-01 is discontinued These features might make it in to the next DSLR model, though Pentax doesn't seem to be very focused on improving video-related features.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
05-04-2013, 08:59 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Different focus peaking colors.

Focus peaking activated opens the lens to full wide open aperture.
05-04-2013, 08:59 AM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
Well, the K-01 is discontinued These features might make it in to the next DSLR model, though Pentax doesn't seem to be very focused on improving video-related features.
Adam, Pentax's US Exec VP said in the Q interview last week that Ricoh is committed to updating Firmware around 2x per year on all cameras, including discontinued ones. So, how much of those sort of enhancements could be done via Firmware alone? We just had a radical increase in the performance of the Q with the 1.11/1.12 update. Changing color of focus peaking, for example, should be fairly easy to do.

05-04-2013, 09:01 AM   #5
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by Docrwm Quote
Adam, Pentax's US Exec VP said in the Q interview last week that Ricoh is committed to updating Firmware around 2x per year on all cameras, including discontinued ones. So, how much of those sort of enhancements could be done via Firmware alone? We just had a radical increase in the performance of the Q with the 1.11/1.12 update. Changing color of focus peaking, for example, should be fairly easy to do.
Dunno, but firmware upgrades for non-"flagship" DSLRs have historically not included any major features.

Adam

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
05-04-2013, 09:20 AM - 1 Like   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Two more Wishes,...

Option to bump the audio sampling rate up to 44.1 or 48kHz

Option to set Log curves to sensor data - such as the Cinestyle available on the Canon's.

Jin: yep, full open iris when focus peaking on would make setting follow focus marks very easy, very quickly - matches the Click on Click off for the exposure preview to set the iris once the focus marks are set.

Adam: Most of the items I'm wishing for would be fairly easy to do in software, and as the firmware in consumer goods is often carried across, or built on top of for newer models, well, what works for one, can be applied to the next.
05-04-2013, 09:25 AM - 1 Like   #7
Pentaxian

I just want the ability to assign a custom button to "set focal length" so I can use my manual zooms more easily - is that so wrong??

05-04-2013, 09:33 AM   #8
Veteran Member

I would just settle for the ability to use the red botton to meter my manual lenses.
05-04-2013, 11:22 AM - 1 Like   #9

Photos: Albums
1. Support GPS unit O-GPS1. I like to take star pictures.

2. When in Play mode, I zoom in a lot to check the image. The problem is I cannot go to next picture without pressing delete button on top. Once I press delete button, zoom is gone and I can go to next picture. For me, it is annoying. I like to navigate pictures while it is in zoom and I hope this zoom stay for next picture, too.

3. Switch green button to red and red to green. I like to do metering with red button.

05-04-2013, 12:03 PM - 1 Like   #10
Inactive Account

Allow internal flash to master for external P-ttl slave flashes

Sensor tilt-shift using the shake reducer

Full GPS

More options with non-A lenses so we don't need to put tape on the lens contacts

Leave lenses fully open during focusing, both A and M focusing

Last edited by Rob22315; 05-04-2013 at 12:41 PM.
05-04-2013, 12:35 PM - 1 Like   #11
Pentaxian

bracketing with remote
5 shot bracketing
05-04-2013, 02:18 PM   #12
Veteran Member

WYSIWYG Preview Mode. i.e. the LCD image shows what the exposure is.
05-04-2013, 07:40 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Dunno, but firmware upgrades for non-"flagship" DSLRs have historically not included any major features.
Ok, isn't this a change in policy though with a commitment to ongoing support beyond the ending of a line/model? If that is a genuine change then it is possible they will also entertain enhancements. It would be nice if they did.
05-04-2013, 07:45 PM   #14
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by Docrwm Quote
Ok, isn't this a change in policy though with a commitment to ongoing support beyond the ending of a line/model? If that is a genuine change then it is possible they will also entertain enhancements. It would be nice if they did.
Might be, but I doubt it. Continuing to fix bugs makes sense to me, working on new features is more costly and that's why I think they've been restricting it to higher-end models.

Adam

05-04-2013, 07:50 PM   #15
Veteran Member

Might be, but I doubt it. Continuing to fix bugs makes sense to me, working on new features is more costly and that's why I think they've been restricting it to higher-end models.
Well, either way I think their policy about continued and ongoing commitment to supporting discontinued models is a real plus that I appreciate.