Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
08-19-2013, 05:47 AM   #1

Pentax K-01 intervalometer problem !

hello. I have Pentax K-01. I am filming a time-lapse , milky way but i am having a problem with intervalometer especially when i am about to make a long exposure with Pentax. while I want to take minumum 500 photos in 15 seconds or 30 seconds, intervalometer takes my commands correctly but it doesnt receive the amount of photos i demanded correctly. I demand 500 photos, and then i see a writing on the screen " intervalometer all completed" after i take 30 and 40 photos. In any condition, i could not manage to take photos in an amount just as how much i wanted especially with long exposure more than 10 seconds. I am supposed to take more than 999 photos with long exposure in more than 10 seconds. Is there anyone that has come across with this problem ? How can I solve this problem ? Firmware 1.03, I am expecting your helps. Thank you.

08-19-2013, 07:09 AM   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
You may need to set the interval between photos too. I do that when I am trying to get a thunderstorm, where I do 4 second exposures, 10 seconds apart, and go for 500 shots while turning off SR and preview.

What exact steps are you taking? Is it doing a dark frame subtraction? Is your card too slow of a write speed?
08-19-2013, 08:25 AM   #3
Banned

Photos: Gallery
No idea, I used it, but not with that long exposures. One thing that is important is probably the long exposure noise reduction setting. It just could be that you have this setting on and thus filling the tiny buffer until the point it has reached its limit.

Just put it on and is working, but takes time to get to a descent number off images.
08-19-2013, 08:26 AM   #4
Veteran Member

The way you worded it, it sounds like you want to take 500 pictures in 15 seconds or 30 seconds. That comes out to 33.3 pictures per second and 16.6 pictures per second respectively.

In any case, I am guessing that you really want to take 500 pictures with either 15 seconds or 30 seconds between each picture.

Make sure you turn off auto focus as well. If shooting the milky way, you should just preset the lens to infinity focus.

08-19-2013, 09:19 AM   #5
Banned

Photos: Gallery
No idea, just made 90 images with no problem and shuttertime off 15 seconds.
08-23-2013, 04:17 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The interval setting, obviously has to be longer than the 30 or 15 seconds the shutter will be open for or the interval timer triggers will be ignored if the shutter is still open.

Turn off noise reduction on long exposures, it's on the same menu page 2 of the camera settings as the interval timer set up is, or the camera will take another exposure of the same shutter duration with the shutter closed (a dark frame), then subtract the sensor noise, there's quicker way - read on.

As your output will be a time lapse video you only need low res Jpegs.

To get the dark frame that contains the sensor noise so it can be subtracted from the frames take your 500 shots, place the lens cap onto the lens, you'll be in Manual Mode so just set a shutter speed of 1/60th of a second, this frame will carry the sensor noise, this frame needs to be taken whilst the sensor is still warm.

Chris
08-23-2013, 05:53 AM - 1 Like   #7
Pentaxian

For a milky way timelapse, set manual mode to a 30 second shutter. When you set the intervalometer for the 500 photos, try 34 seconds between photos. That gives the camera 4 seconds to process each photo after the shutter closes; if you set the interval too short some photos get skipped because the interval trigger event occurs while the camera is still busy processing the prior photo.

In other words, if you're in M mode with a 30 second shutter speed, and ypu tell the intervalometer to take 60 photos 1 second apart, you'll only end up with 2 photos.

At least that's how it works on the K-r and K-5. Your K-01 is probably the same.

08-23-2013, 01:20 PM   #8

Original Poster
hım ok I again try.

thankyou.
04-15-2015, 12:24 AM   #9

QuoteOriginally posted by DeadJohn Quote
For a milky way timelapse, set manual mode to a 30 second shutter. When you set the intervalometer for the 500 photos, try 34 seconds between photos. That gives the camera 4 seconds to process each photo after the shutter closes; if you set the interval too short some photos get skipped because the interval trigger event occurs while the camera is still busy processing the prior photo.

In other words, if you're in M mode with a 30 second shutter speed, and ypu tell the intervalometer to take 60 photos 1 second apart, you'll only end up with 2 photos.
This sounds like the problem I experienced on my new K-50 last night

I had been shooting what seemed ok earlier in the evening (2 sec exposure, 3 sec interval, 60 pics) , though do notice on occasions that some intervals appear Non-Existant (as if 'catching up')however later when I set the camera to (29 Images / 4sec interval / 25sec shutter) I was only getting about 4 pics.. doing the sum based upon the 'formula' above that makes sense

Thank gawd for these forums as else Amazon would have been getting a strongly worded email from me this morning for sending me a dud camera

So I guess to do what I want (x number Images / 4sec interval / 25sec shutter) I need to set the intervalometer to 29 sec?
04-16-2015, 01:48 PM - 1 Like   #10
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Add whatever interval you want between exposures to the length of each exposure and use that number. In other words if your exposure is 10 seconds and you want each exposure to be triggered after a 5 second delay then use an interval value of 15 seconds. If you shoot in Raw your processing time will be reduced since the only overhead is to write the image to memory. If you shoot jpeg or Raw+ then the camera has to process a jpeg image and save it and in Raw+ it must also save the raw file along with the jpeg. If you *must* have jpegs for whatever reason use the 6M setting for them to reduce the overhead. 99% of the time you really don't need them.