Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-08-2013, 01:27 AM - 1 Like   #1

The K-3 finally has what I've been looking for in a DSLR.

1. New AF with genuine AF tracking.

Not just the focus, take a shot, re-focus, take a shot... AF-C action my K10D, K-7 and K-5 used to do.

Still have to see if the reality lives up to the promises, but a 27-AF point system is a big improvement over the 11-AF point system used previously, especially if the subject leaves the initial AF point and that the other AF points are used to keep it in focus by means of tracking the subjecy.

2. Better, 14-bit RAW files.

About time. Sure, 12-bit RAW is nice, but 14-bit allows for more color gradients, which helps pulling the most out of your digital image file.

3. Dual memory card slot.

As a pro photographer, I can't stress the importance of backup, and while it's possible to do that on a computer, there are times when it's not. Having a dual memory card slot is a good way to have my RAW files doubled for safety. Or to shoot RAW and JPEG without having to sort the pictures out in the end, in case my client wants a quick JPEG for press release after the event I shot.

The rest of the K-3's features are pretty much a case of "very good, but not a game-changer for me".

For instance, the wi-fi tethered support is a nice feature to have, but it only works with some mobile phones and tablets, not with computers. I'm still waiting for an USB tethered shooting feature from Pentax for studio use, but it's not like I can't live without this feature.

However, the "simulated AA filter" is a clever way to go around having two separate cameras, one that's AA filterless and the other that has an AA filter. Which one to choose? Hmm... Now you can have both in one camera. Kudos to the Pentax/Ricoh design team.

I'm a little bit disappointed with the new 24 Mpix (bigger files, ugh...), as I would've preferred something around 18-20 Mpix, but I was expecting this 24 Mpix sensor to make it in the K-3 anyway, so it's not like it's gonna be much of an issue. And I'm sure a lot of people will be happy to have more resolution, so the Mpix jump isn't bad at all.

As long as the image quality is at least as good as with the 16 Mpix sensor from the K-5, I won't mind much buying new hard drives, LoL.

Overall, my feelings are that the K-3, while not groundbreaking, is a solid camera that's loaded with great features, and most important, that finally addresses Pentax's main issue with its DSLRs, which is their AF performance, especially on moving subjects. Now if Pentax can just offer improved controls on their video mode, their products will be as good as any Canon or Nikon products, while being smaller, more rugged and offering an extensive line of APS-C lenses.

Yeah, I know. It's not full-frame. I remember a few years ago, I wrote in the Pentax SLR talk dpreview forums that a Pentax FF camera wouldn't be available before 2013-2015. Looks like 2014-2015 might be the time when a FF Pentax camera finally hits the shelves. Even if Pentax releases a K-1 FF DSLR, I'm sure the K-3 will remain the most popular among enthusiast photographers, and some will even prefer it to its FF brother, thanks to its 1.5x crop ratio, very useful for wildlife shooters.

Looks like Ricoh is quite serious about its DSLR products. This new camera is an excellent step in the good direction, and most important, Ricoh/Pentax have been listening to Pentax users who asked for improved AF, 14-bit RAW files and dual card slot, features a flagship DSLR should and must have IMHO.

But for now, I'm okay with my K-5, so I'll wait a bit for the K-3's price to drop before committing to buying this new DSLR, which will require a new battery grip, and possibly some new HDD for those 24 Mpix 14-bit RAW files. That will give me plenty of time to see if the K-3 lives up to its promises as well.

Last edited by tigrebleu; 10-08-2013 at 01:42 AM.
10-08-2013, 01:35 AM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
14-bit has been around since the K-7. But indeed, this camera is more than most will ever need

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
10-08-2013, 02:06 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
The simulated AA filter is nice, but it will have limited use with flash photogaphy - due to the fact that most hot shoe mounted/studio flash units have very short durations.
10-08-2013, 02:33 AM   #4
Veteran Member

I think its pretty groundbreaking because it looks like it will be the best APS-C camera, at a great price. Tethering on smartphones and tablets is also pretty great, I think it will be invaluable once people get used to it. The K-3 also has some good video options, which will be great for those videographers who like to use M 50mm f1.7 and similar manual lenses. Now they won't have to adapt them to a Canon 5D. And the camera addresses many things Pentaxians complained about. Better video, no AA, more MP, better AF, more AF points, IR receiver on the front and back,.
And the new SR functions sound promising. Of course, we will have to wait and see for reviews of people after they used it for a couple weeks.
So, I would say that in its subtle, Pentaxian ways, it is pretty groundbreaking. But depends on user definition of "groundbreaking" I guess

10-08-2013, 02:41 AM   #5
Veteran Member

K-3 ...yawn.
10-08-2013, 02:59 AM   #6
Veteran Member

I would ideally like the better AF of the K3. But it is better image quality I'm really after as an upgrade to my K5, specifically better iso performance. As far as I can see the K3 will only really give me more pixels but I don't really need more of those. We haven't seen any images to judge but from what we've seen and heard so far I don't see how the K3 will be much cleaner than the D7100, which isn't much different to the K5 in that regard.

It is very pleasing that at long last Pentax's line up of cameras looks good enough to rival, or better probably, the competition in this market sector and has something for everyone.............up to a point. I regard this as an excellent start for RicohPentax and look forward to hearing about next products. I don't see much point in the company continuing to be coy about future product plans.
10-08-2013, 04:34 AM   #7
Veteran Member

For me, I'm interested in better AF for motorsport photography.

10-08-2013, 04:48 AM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Dr Orloff Quote
better iso performance.
I hear you.

QuoteOriginally posted by Dr Orloff Quote
has something for everyone
For me that's the problem - I don't want a camera for everyone just for me. How about a simple still photographer's camera? No video or flash etc etc. Better ISO performance, better viewfinder etc. I want an image machine not a Swiss army knife.

BTW took a look at your work - excellent.
10-08-2013, 04:51 AM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by wildman Quote
For me that's the problem - I don't want a camera for everyone just for me. How about a simple still photographer's camera? No video or flash etc etc. Better ISO performance, better viewfinder etc. I want an image machine not a Swiss army knife.
But Ricoh want to sell more than one camera so your personal preferences are I fear irrelevant to any multinational retailer.
You will never get your wishes.
10-08-2013, 05:23 AM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by awaldram Quote
You will never get your wishes.
I couldn't agree more.
The purpose of a corporation is not to make cameras but, rather, money and, hopefully, lots of it.
10-08-2013, 06:53 AM   #11
Veteran Member

The K-3 improves upon the K-5 (on paper) in a number of key areas, notably AF and video. These are features about which many people had been complaining. Myself, I'm not bothered by the video performance, as I never use it on my K-5, but the market dictates they should be there. Same with the sensor. From what I can glean, the K-3 sensor is only a slight improvement on the16 MP K-5 and may even have slightly less DR (judging by the Nikon D7100 DXO review, if that is indeed the sensor used in this camera). But Pentax would look so out of the game if it had stuck with the otherwise excellent Exmore sensor. That said, it does gain 50% more pixels, for finer detail or more aggressive cropping.
10-08-2013, 08:50 AM   #12

QuoteOriginally posted by tigrebleu Quote
For instance, the wi-fi tethered support is a nice feature to have, but it only works with some mobile phones and tablets, not with computers. I'm still waiting for an USB tethered shooting feature from Pentax for studio use, but it's not like I can't live without this feature.
Tethered control of your camera only works from a smart phone/tablet, but you will be able to capture the images on a wifi enabled computer, and even have your Lightroom or CaptureOne watch the hot folder and import the images.

That's currently a feature of Flucards.
10-08-2013, 11:52 AM   #13
Veteran Member

Digitalis: brilliant observation. I didn't think of that. Right now I've got both K-5II models. I think I'm in good shape.
10-08-2013, 12:06 PM   #14

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by tzeentchiangod Quote
Tethered control of your camera only works from a smart phone/tablet, but you will be able to capture the images on a wifi enabled computer, and even have your Lightroom or CaptureOne watch the hot folder and import the images.

That's currently a feature of Flucards.
If it works as described above (with or without a wi-fi router?), that's great news! That means I can finally import straight into Capture One Pro and apply my settings to my pictures immediately.
10-08-2013, 12:11 PM   #15

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
14-bit has been around since the K-7. But indeed, this camera is more than most will ever need
I stand corrected. Thought the K-7 had 12-bit RAW files, and yet I can't find anywhere specs confirming this or not, but just read the K-5 has RAW 14-bit files.