Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-11-2012, 02:08 PM   #1

Any DNG available??

Hi guys... I'm currently shooting with a Canon 60D and for me it seems that moving to Pentax its going to bring more satisfaction to my photography due that is a system way more affordable with great features... And really been in a system with some nice lenses but way over my current budget for a hobby only.. I don't see much sense staying with Canon..

However I before I can take a decision.. Can anyone share some DNG's ? with some shadow/blown highlights on it..so I can see how much detail I will be able to recover on this 12bits raws, and also with some skin tones.. Before Canon I was shooting Sony Alpha and remember that sometimes had to spend some time on the raw only fixing the skin tones due to some yellowish/redishes bloshes, If this sensor is also from Sony i want to see how it's processed/used in another brand. I know the K5 has a great latitude.. But i'm towards the K-30 cuz the video recording is much like the Canon.

I saw the samples from the Phoblographer blog, and i see there are some yellowish bloshes on the skins. But beside that i can't make a decision based on those samples that are JPG's and it seems that are saved at 20% quality in photoshop..

Hope someone can share something..

Thanks.

07-11-2012, 03:09 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I've posted this in a thread further down, maybe not blown out etc - but it is skin tones & DNG.

Example JPG, just a shot from earlier today @ ISO 800 kit lens (guy in photo is co-worker, Nikon D700 user)

RAW DNG file: http://fruit.orconhosting.net.nz/pentax/_igp0627.dng ~ 15Mb
07-11-2012, 03:44 PM   #3

Original Poster
Yeah thank you very much... This one is the only DNG I have, I download it from your flickr.. Just curious to see some others... that work for the skin tones and also give me some idea about the tolerance for fill light...
07-11-2012, 04:25 PM   #4
Forum Member

Hi, just FYI the K5 DNG files are 14 bit not 12, I don't have comparative samples immediately available but they afford quite a bit of post processing latitude. Good Luck in your efforts!

07-11-2012, 04:33 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Not sure that chasing the best body of the minute is going to be the best strategy to be honest. It more about the lenses, and there's a lot of Canon lenses that have no Pentax equivalent, and visa versa. Which Pentax enses appeal to you? Which current Canon lenses to you like?

Last edited by twitch; 07-11-2012 at 04:41 PM.
07-11-2012, 04:36 PM   #6

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Guy Brent Adams Quote
Hi, just FYI the K5 DNG files are 14 bit not 12, I don't have comparative samples immediately available but they afford quite a bit of post processing latitude. Good Luck in your efforts!
Yeah I know the K5 are 14 bits.. that's why i'm asking for the K-30 that are 12bits.. for the K-5 there are plenty of raws availables on the net..

Thanks..Sure i will need good luck, this time i don't want to make another bad decision lol !! It cost a few bucks make the switch from Sony to Canon.. Now is goint to cost me a few more from Canon to_______ !!
07-11-2012, 04:52 PM   #7

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by twitch Quote
Not sure that chasing the best body of the minute is going to be the best strategy to be honest. It more about the lenses, and there's a lot of Canon lenses that have no Pentax equivalent, and visa versa. Which lenses appeal?
No, I'm not chasing the best body or the latest... But it's a coincidence that this past sunday my 60D after some shots in a very high weather (110-115) stop working because a drop of sweat from my forehead went exactly where the 60D has the multidrectional button (in the pentax the 4-way buttons) and that lead to a malfunction of that button and the "set" button. Right now my camera is at Canon repair i'm waiting to see what they say"send me the bill" , so that make me a bit nervous that i will need a true weather sealled body, because if this going to happen everytime, then i'm not playing anymore.. I didn't even know the K-30 was released until sunday night. lol..

Regarding lenses.. Well example the Macro 100 WR is a cheaper than the Canon 100L IS, even the kit lenses are WR, which I will not care to use them on some jeep rock crawling events, where a rock could easy hit a lens, or rain and dust. the pentax are not expensive with very decent quality. On the other side the kit lenses are not WR and cost almost the same...

Last edited by CyberManiaK; 07-11-2012 at 05:04 PM.
07-11-2012, 04:58 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Cheap WR is a good reason to switch to Pentax. Just don't expect to find the Pentax equivalents for many of the stella Canon lenses, admittedly most of those Canon lenses are north of $1k.