Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-03-2012, 06:57 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I'm sure I'm missing something (green button)

OK, trying to familiarize myself with my new K-30 and all the menu settings. I am trying to find where I can customize the green button. I like to use it for DOF preview and stop down metering with manual lenses. However, I can't seem to find anywhere in the menus where I can customize this button.

I see where I can customize the Raw/Fx button to do some things. I see where I can go into e-dial programming and make the green button do "P Line" (whatever that is), but I can't find the other options. This was a great feature on my K-r and I find it hard to imagine it's not there in this camera.

Can someone enlighten me on this? Many grateful thanks in advance!

08-03-2012, 07:07 AM   #2
Inactive Account

green button

Read user manual page 162.

Setting the E-dials Operation

For each exposure mode, you can select the parameters for when the front
and rear e-dials and green button are operated.

hope this helps.
08-03-2012, 07:16 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks. Sorry, I already said I saw this option. I see nothing there that shows where I can customize the green button like I could with the K-r. I see no DOF preview or any of the other options you could customize the green button to previously. What I'm asking is if I'm missing those or if they are no longer available.
08-03-2012, 07:49 AM   #4
Pentaxian

If it is like the K-5 you go to e-dial programming and it shows all the exposure modes (2 pages worth) -- the choices will be somewhat different for each mode. Goto M mode and set the green button to "Tv shift" -- this sets the green button to choose the shutter speed in M which stops down the lens to do that. It is not actually a "preview" though as it only stops down for a second. Optical preview where you can hold it is usually done from the third position on/off switch (again, on the K-5).

08-03-2012, 08:55 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by vonBaloney Quote
If it is like the K-5 you go to e-dial programming and it shows all the exposure modes (2 pages worth) -- the choices will be somewhat different for each mode. Goto M mode and set the green button to "Tv shift" -- this sets the green button to choose the shutter speed in M which stops down the lens to do that. It is not actually a "preview" though as it only stops down for a second. Optical preview where you can hold it is usually done from the third position on/off switch (again, on the K-5).
Thank you. It sounds like Green Button is very different on K-5/K-30 than on K-r then. I appreciate the info - will give the Tv shift option a try. I saw that but didn't really know what it meant.
08-03-2012, 09:00 AM - 1 Like   #6
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by loco Quote
Thank you. It sounds like Green Button is very different on K-5/K-30 than on K-r then. I appreciate the info - will give the Tv shift option a try. I saw that but didn't really know what it meant.
It works exactly the same (for manual lenses). The menus to set it up are just different. Av = aperture, Tv = shutter, Sv = ISO. So "Tv shift" means Aperture is set and ISO is set, green button sets the shutter. So for "green-button metering" to work, that's what you set for M mode, and you also make sure that the aperture ring is set to "permitted" in whatever menu that choice is in. Those two things will allow you to use manual lenses in the way you are used to. (Keep in mind I'm looking at a K-5 and actually have no idea what the K-30 menus look like.)
08-03-2012, 09:05 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by vonBaloney Quote
It works exactly the same (for manual lenses). The menus to set it up are just different. Av = aperture, Tv = shutter, Sv = ISO. So "Tv shift" means Aperture is set and ISO is set, green button sets the shutter. So for "green-button metering" to work, that's what you set for M mode, and you also make sure that the aperture ring is set to "permitted" in whatever menu that choice is in. Those two things will allow you to use manual lenses in the way you are used to. (Keep in mind I'm looking at a K-5 and actually have no idea what the K-30 menus look like.)
Thanks so much! I will definitely check this setting on the K-30. I really appreciate your help!

08-03-2012, 09:14 AM - 1 Like   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Thread about green button. https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-beginners-corner-q/60081-usage-green-button.html
08-03-2012, 09:27 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks for that, Rondec. That's quite helpful! The green button functionality on the K-30 is quite different than the K-r I'm used to. Everyone has been very helpful and I appreciate the education!
08-15-2012, 11:40 AM   #10

Photos: Albums
this is sad to hear! i love the green button on my k-r! i usually change what i have it programmed to depending on where i am shooting.

i just ordered the k-30. i hope i don't miss too much!
08-15-2012, 11:56 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by mcnugget Quote
this is sad to hear! i love the green button on my k-r! i usually change what i have it programmed to depending on where i am shooting.

i just ordered the k-30. i hope i don't miss too much!
It's just different. You can program the Raw/Fx button on the side of the K-30 much the same way as the green button on the K-r. Don't worry about it, just a little thing to get used to.
08-15-2012, 12:07 PM - 1 Like   #12

Photos: Gallery
Take RAW/Fx button for optical preview (DOF preview). First you have to set these function in the customization menu.

edit: to late :-)
08-15-2012, 02:53 PM   #13
Veteran Member

I would imagine that is the optimal setup anyhow, using the raw button for DOF preview since the power switch no longer has it and the green button to do the stop-down metering.
08-25-2012, 05:59 PM   #14

Green Button Woes

You can use the green button on the K-30, but won't get consistent exposures at different apertures, no matter how you set it up.
09-22-2012, 10:19 PM   #15

If you use the RAW/fx button to switch between JPEG and RAW + JPEG, and the Green Button for stopdown - how is Optical Preview used? On the K200D I was using that's a 'further-around' on the On/Off switch, but that's been disabled in the K30.

I looked for options to assign Preview to something else, but Page 167 in the Manual only has the 4 focus-related choices for the AF/AE-Lock button, and, +/- aside, there isn't another functions button.

Or - can the JPEG switch to RAW + JPEG on the RAW/fx button be assigned to another button so that can be used for Preview? I seem to have a shortage of buttons to set up what I actually want to do....

Any help would be most welcome, thanks.

Regards, Dave.