Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-30-2012, 10:58 AM   #1
Banned

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The most important question - K-30 has the same BF/FF problems like K-5?

My K-5's behaviour is rather unpredictable. I have to make AF adjustment with all my lenses. It's annoying. I can't get satisfaction with K-5 shooting in low light, mixed and complex light.
Sometimes K-5 is precise and I see the potential of camera, but very often I can't get the sharp images. The adjustment is floating from time to time.
That's why I'm forced to use K200D more often.

K-5 is very good camera (I like everything in K-5, but...) with rather strange work of AF. AF is much faster in any light condition than K200D, more tenacious, but the percent of flaw images are higher than with K200D. K200D can not "take" images sometimes, but AF is always at the place where I aim at.

It's rather unpleasant to pay more than 1000 EURO and to adjust every lens rather often.

That's why I'd like to ask K-30's users - are there back or front focus problems with fast primes at K-30 and AF of K-30 is close to K-5 in terms of accuracy or close to my K200D? I mean phase AF.

I can buy K-30 for the good price and sell K-5. I'd like to listen K-30's users about any problems with primes.

Last edited by ogl; 08-30-2012 at 11:07 AM.
08-30-2012, 11:03 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Slightly off-topic, but why don't you wait for Photokina and then instead buy the successor?
08-30-2012, 11:10 AM   #3
ogl
Banned

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by LamyTax Quote
Slightly off-topic, but why don't you wait for Photokina and then instead buy the successor?
I'm not sure that K-5's replacement will be not above 1000 euro and I can buy this camera before November. I will fly to China on November for long time and I need good camera for higher ISO with better AF.
08-30-2012, 11:13 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Ogl, that sounds exactly like my experience with the K-5. But beware, the positivity gang will soon find this thread with their tar and feathers and tell that there's nothing wrong with the camera and you just can't use it properly.

Regarding your original question, I'd like to know that too. Even if Pentax released a FF camera today, I'd wait until it can be seen whether there are similar problems with it.

08-30-2012, 11:20 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
According the the PF tests, and a few users, the AF on the K-30 is spot on and much more decisive than the k-5.

There was one user who said they had BF problems with their k-30, but I think it turned out to be the lens.
08-30-2012, 11:26 AM   #6
Veteran Member

I have not noticed any FF or BF problems with the K-30. In tungsten light it has no problems at all. I never had a K-5 but the K-30 focuses quicker and more accurately than my K-r.

The DA L 55-300 always back focused with my K-r and seems much more accurate with the K-30. I have not used any focus charts, just going by experience taking around 1000 shots so far.
08-30-2012, 11:37 AM   #7
ogl
Banned

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Raffwal Quote
Ogl, that sounds exactly like my experience with the K-5. But beware, the positivity gang will soon find this thread with their tar and feathers and tell that there's nothing wrong with the camera and you just can't use it properly.

Regarding your original question, I'd like to know that too. Even if Pentax released a FF camera today, I'd wait until it can be seen whether there are similar problems with it.
I know several Pentaxians who sent K-5 with the same problems to service and get it back with answer EVERYTHING is OK. One friend sent K-5 silver two times (!!!) with all lenses (!!!) to service and two times got it back and answer that K-5 has no any AF problems. Yes...When I shoot AF chart, almost no problems. With slow zooms - the users can't see problems. But in real life - I can't understand how AF of K-5 works...I can make 10 picture of one object with the same conditions and data - and AF will be in different places. Even 1-2 pictures could be sharp. Or all could be blurred. Not bright light. But a bit darker light condition. Even daytime.
I've adjust FA135/2.8 several days ago at home - everything was OK and went to walk - some pictures with no focus, some are with front focus, some are in focus...What to do? I don't know...Only FA77 works at 90% with +5. Not bad. I use K-5 with FA77 most of time now. DFA100 macro is not bad too.
But with flaws.

K-5 is not my main camera now, but the camera for 1-2 lenses. But K200D is worse at high ISO. Annoying situation...

Last edited by ogl; 08-30-2012 at 12:07 PM.
08-30-2012, 11:45 AM   #8
Veteran Member

A cheap K-x/K-r as a temporary solution? Except that since at least the K-x only has a global AF setting, the end results may not be that great.

BTW, thanks for the comment regarding the AF and service site. Just a few days ago I posted a thread asking about whether the AF problems have been cured by a visit to the service. But people who answered my thread only told there's nothing wrong with the camera...
08-30-2012, 12:09 PM   #9
ogl
Banned

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by loco Quote
I have not noticed any FF or BF problems with the K-30. In tungsten light it has no problems at all. I never had a K-5 but the K-30 focuses quicker and more accurately than my K-r.

The DA L 55-300 always back focused with my K-r and seems much more accurate with the K-30. I have not used any focus charts, just going by experience taking around 1000 shots so far.
Thank you. But 55-300 is very slow lens.
08-30-2012, 12:17 PM   #10

I don't have many lenses. But all the lenses I have are spot on. No BF/FF on K-30. That includes DA 35/2.4, Sigma 30/1.4 and Sigma 50-150/2.8. What surprised me is the Sigma 30/1.4. I prepared for the worst scenario but it turned out to be perfect on K-30.
08-30-2012, 12:24 PM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by metalmania Quote
I don't have many lenses. But all the lenses I have are spot on. No BF/FF on K-30. That includes DA 35/2.4, Sigma 30/1.4 and Sigma 50-150/2.8. What surprised me is the Sigma 30/1.4. I prepared for the worst scenario but it turned out to be perfect on K-30.
Yes, I find the Sigma 30 1.4 very erratic on my K5, a bit as the OP relates. My 50-150 is fine. Looks like the K30 is more consistent in the AF front
08-30-2012, 12:40 PM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ogl Quote
Thank you. But 55-300 is very slow lens.
I was just making the point that a lens that had been inaccurate on the K-r is now accurate on the K-30.

As you can see in my signature, I have the FA77 and DA*55. I have experienced no AF problems with either on the K-30.
08-30-2012, 02:25 PM   #13
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by ogl Quote
My K-5's behaviour is rather unpredictable. I have to make AF adjustment with all my lenses. It's annoying. I can't get satisfaction with K-5 shooting in low light, mixed and complex light.
Sometimes K-5 is precise and I see the potential of camera, but very often I can't get the sharp images. The adjustment is floating from time to time.
That's why I'm forced to use K200D more often.

K-5 is very good camera (I like everything in K-5, but...) with rather strange work of AF. AF is much faster in any light condition than K200D, more tenacious, but the percent of flaw images are higher than with K200D. K200D can not "take" images sometimes, but AF is always at the place where I aim at.

It's rather unpleasant to pay more than 1000 EURO and to adjust every lens rather often.

That's why I'd like to ask K-30's users - are there back or front focus problems with fast primes at K-30 and AF of K-30 is close to K-5 in terms of accuracy or close to my K200D? I mean phase AF.

I can buy K-30 for the good price and sell K-5. I'd like to listen K-30's users about any problems with primes.

I work with F smc 28/2, 8, and F smc 50/1, 7, and accuracy and focus speed is much better than K-r, I used it K-r 1.5 years, K-30 is safe and accurate focus, not super fast, the same relationship holds true for the focus for K-5 and K-30 benefit in favor of K-30, I tried with a borrowed K-5 before making a decision about buying a K-30 ,Pentax K-30 has no problem with ff / bf focus in any lighting conditions as having Kr and K-5 ,repeat the focus is safe and accurate not super fast and there is a Pentax / Ricoh made ​​a big-big change for the better in improving focus

Last edited by mbukal; 08-30-2012 at 03:16 PM.
08-30-2012, 06:15 PM   #14
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
The K-30 locks focus and is noticeably more accurate indoors than my previous K-5. As much as I liked my K-5, it wasn't difficult to make the decision to dump it.
08-30-2012, 06:34 PM   #15

QuoteQuote:
That's exactly how my K-5 behaves....The adjustment floating used to drive me crazy but I lived with it for more than a year. Every day I have to take a few test shots to check if the focus is good with any lens, pentax or third party. It was not a very big problem with outdoor shots but now that my little kid gives me so many shooting opportunities it gets annoying to miss some great shots because the focus is not the same as it was yesterday.....That's why my K30 is on it's way and looking forward to finally rely on my camera.