Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-13-2012, 07:22 PM   #1

K30 Manual ISO setings

Third time out with the K30 and it was very cloudy at the cross country meet. Wanted to change ISO but it would only let me go 800, 1600, 3200. Is there any way to choose 1200 or 2000?
I looked in the manual and could not find anything that led me to believe one could have that much control. TAv mode does choose those ISO settings, but it would go higher than I wanted.

09-13-2012, 07:30 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
There's a custom function setting that controls EV step size. You need to set it to 1/3 rather than 1/2 stops in order to be able to access intermediate ISO values (and apertures).

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
09-14-2012, 12:52 AM   #3
jup

Custom Settings 1 -> 2. Sensitivity Steps. This defaults to 1 (1 EV step), which only allows you to set 100, 200, 400 and so on. You want to set it to 2 (As EV Steps). Then it will go in increments of 1/2 or 1/3 EV, depending on custom setting 1, Sensitivity Step.
09-16-2012, 04:19 AM   #4

thnx

09-17-2012, 04:24 PM   #5

Original Poster
Thanks a bunch. After I posted this thread I went back thru the book and found it. So far lovin the camera and 18-135, much better than the Kr in my book.
09-21-2012, 01:23 AM   #6
Inactive Account

Photos: Albums
I have another question that is sort of related to this:
I'm kind of control freak, so most of the time I shoot in manual mode.
As most of you would guess, I use green button to let camera recalculate settings automatically, rear wheel for time setting and front wheel for aperture setting. BUT when I also use manual AF point selection (which is key feature for me), I can not easily change ISO setting without going to menu and turning the manual AF point selection off, then setting ISO, then back to menu and setting it back on. Alternatively I can set ISO from INFO screen, but that isn't much shorter. Another alternative is to set ISO to automatic mode and set the boundaries, but I don't like that very much.
Note: This whole situation occurs because the manual AF point selection takes all of the four-way pad's buttons.
I was trying to find the solution in user manual, but I found nothing about alternative ways to get to ISO setting, or ideally quick way to toggle manual AF selection by binding it to some button.
So my question is: Is it me and my lack of experience, or there is really no way around this?
09-21-2012, 02:06 AM - 1 Like   #7
jup

QuoteOriginally posted by Snapi Quote
So my question is: Is it me and my lack of experience, or there is really no way around this?
When you're in Select focus point mode, you can switch off focus point selection by pushing and holding OK button for 1 sec. Page 103 in the manual.

Then you can use 4 way controller to change settings and your focus point stays at the last selected position. To be able to change it again, just press ok button (no need to hold it this time).

Alternatively, you can assign RAW/Fx button to AF active area. This allows you to turn focus point selection on/off with RAW/Fx button and also use wheels to change focus point while it's on. But I found for me, ok button works just fine, even though there's 1 sec wait.

09-21-2012, 02:49 AM   #8
Inactive Account

Photos: Albums
Thank you jup, that feature with OK button is exactly what I was looking for! You just made my day
09-21-2012, 06:42 AM   #9
Inactive Account

I love this forum! I never checked out that Sensitivity Steps option. I just got new ISO options now