Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-20-2013, 06:22 AM - 2 Likes   #1

Received My K30 Yesterday - Coming from the Kr - My Thoughts

I haven't had the opportunity to take many photographs with it, just playing with it around the house. Unfortunately the weather here in upstate NY isn't being
very cooperative. While the equipment may be weather resistant the user isn't.

Anyway, coming from the Kr and having also had the K100 & 200 I am very familiar with Pentax cameras and their menu and button system.
However the k30 is different and it will take me some time to get used to the layout and modes. This AM I was playing with it with the mode selection dial in
M but the OV finder was showing TAV. I was scratching my head trying to figure out why, it wasn't till I'd just about run out of options that I thought of
checking the ISO setting and low and behold I had left it on Auto ISO while playing with it last night.

Probably the biggest adjustment; I will have is using the two E-Dials to adjust Aperture and ISO, I find myself wanting to press a button to
switch between them. That adjustment will come in time with use.

My impression of the K30 is that this camera may be used by a beginner but it is no beginners camera. By that I mean there is so much room to grow as
a photographer. If the user wants to invest the time to really learn how to use the camera and not just take snapshots then this is the camera to begin with.
This camera has advanced features that many manufacturer's save for their higher end cameras.

I am impressed by the solid feel of the cameras construction. I actually like the different textures and find the rubberized texture on the grip very reassuring in my hand.
I don't find myself squeezing it so much which allows me to hold the camera steadier than with the Kr.

The grip is much better than the Kr but not as good as either my K100 or K200. I don't mean it's bad I like like a beefier grip better. The height of the grip
is good considering it's lack of width. The grip is nothing like Canon and Nikon has on their entry and mid level camera's. Their grips are both low and not beefy (small)
and it's the main reason I won't purchase them. They just aren't comfortable in my hand.

While there are several substantial differences between the Kr and K30 like two E-dials, User modes, ability to save lens fine tuning adjustments, Horizon and
Vertical indicators, the one I am most excited about is the ability to make custom white balance adjustments and save them.
With the Kr you could do a custom white balance using a white card (like the K30) but in the K30 you can save additional user settings which was impossible with
the Kr. I'm also glad to see the display of Kelvin when adjusting WB.

I have no doubt that the photographs coming out of this camera will be stunning if the user can harness and use it's awesome capabilities. I look forward to the challenge
and will be showing some of those shots when the weather breaks.

I am again excited about photography and this camera is the reason. I just had to tell somebody and you all are that somebody.

03-20-2013, 07:05 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Congrats. I have similar feelings about the K30. I've had alot of SLR's over the past 10 years, including Canikon stuff, and since jumping to Pentax a K10D, K100D, K-x, K-7, K-5 and K-r before getting the K30...and to be honest outside of the K-5, the K30 is my favorite of all time. I sold my K-5 last year when I had this big idea (stupid, half-brained, whimsical) to totally switch over to micro 4/3 for a more compact system...but after a few months I REALLY missed my Pentax glass (mostly my FA 50 1.4...there's nothing in micro 4/3 that even comes close to being that fast and providing that kind of creamy smooth bokeh) so I jumped back over and bought a K30. I bought it because it was cheap and I was skeptical at first because I was used to a K5 and was afraid it wasn't going to be good enough...but I have seriously been pleasantly surprised. The K-30 fills all my needs as a photographer and while I do miss some small things from the K-5 (mainly the grip)...I just don't find myself wanting anything more than the K30. It's fast, weather sealed, and of course image quality is superb. While the K5 IIs looks interesting to me...I think for awhile I'll be sticking with my K30 while I invest any upgrades elsewhere...like in more K-mount glass or more glass for my micro 4/3 setup.

Enjoy! I'm sure you're going to find it a pleasure to use.

Last edited by jgmankos; 03-20-2013 at 08:06 AM.
03-20-2013, 07:28 AM   #3

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jgmankos Quote
Congrats. I have similar feelings about the K30. I've had alot of SLR's over the past 10 years, including Canikon stuff, and since jumping to Pentax a K10D, K100D, K-x, K-7, K-5 and K-r before getting the K30...and to be honest outside of the K-5, the K30 is my favorite of all time. I sold my K-5 last year when I had this big idea to totally switch over to micro 4/3 for a more compact system...but after a few months I REALLY missed my Pentax glass (mostly my FA 50 1.4...there's nothing in micro 4/3 that even comes close to being that fast and providing that kind of creamy smooth bokeh) so I jumped back over and bought a K30. I bought it because it was cheap and I was skeptical at first because I was used to a K5 and was afraid it wasn't going to be good enough...but I have seriously been pleasantly surprised. The K-30 fills all my needs as a photographer and while I do miss some small things from the K-5 (mainly the grip)...I just don't find myself wanting anything more than the K30. It's fast, weather sealed, and of course image quality is superb. While the K5 IIs looks interesting to me...I think for awhile I'll be sticking with my K30 while I invest any upgrades elsewhere...like in more K-mount glass or more glass for my micro 4/3 setup.

Enjoy! I'm sure you're going to find it a pleasure to use.
jgmankos, thanks for the comment. I took along time to make this purchase. Like you I seriously considering switching systems, I also considered the K5 or K5IIs but decided to wait for it's replacement.

I figured the nearly $500 difference between the (K5 lite) K30 and the K5IIs was a much better bargain. It allows me the option to purchase one of the newer cameras coming this or next year if they offer
more improvement and benefit.

One thing I learned in researching all the different manufacturers is that Pentax definitely offers more bang for the buck and customization which means I don't have to purchase camera upgrades as my
skills improve or my interest increases. There are things Pentax needs to do, like improving video capabilities (which I don't really care about). Flash system improvements are needed if Pentax is to become
a real player. There are more but IMO these two are pretty important.
03-20-2013, 11:20 PM   #4

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Congrats on the upgrade. I too moved from the K-r to the K-30 (back in November) and "sold" the K-r to my son.

I "upgraded" mostly for the weather resistance (I live on the "wet" coast after all ) as I hadn't even come close to hitting the K-r's limits. In fact, there are those who would argue that a 1980's vintage Polaroid is a close match for my talents as a photographer.

The programmable User modes are a very nice feature and I have to say that the K-30, like the K-r, feels like a solid well built camera... and the kit lens feels smoother than comparable Nikon/Canon versions.