Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 3 Likes Search this Thread
07-06-2013, 07:38 AM - 2 Likes   #1
Veteran Member

switched from K-5 to K-30

So as some of you may have read, I broke my K-5 and a couple of my lenses. I was contemplating what to do because I couldn't spend any money on gear (baby on the way)...luckily Hunts had their fantastic deal, so I sold my Sigma 120-400mm to fund my new K-30+18-55wr combo. I need the 18-55 wr because one of the lenses destroyed was my 18-135mm I know it's a step down but stupidity has its costs and I had to make compromises due to financial constraints.

Anyway...there are a lot of threads about K-5 vs K-30 so let me add one from my point of view.

From a feel standpoint, the K-5 feels more dense. I much prefer the grip of the K-5 to the K-30 which I find a little narrow. I have bear paws for hands so maybe if you have smaller hands you would like the K-30.
The shutter is definitely much louder on the K-30... it sounds eerily similar to my ZX-5 film body.
The viewfinder on the K-30 is a treat Nice and bright. I have an EE-S screen on my K-5 but I am not sure if I want to swap it on my K-30.
I don't miss the top LCD as much as I thought I would....but I miss the following: dedicated ISO button; metering mode dial; separate AF and AE lock buttons.
The rear Lcd and live view are much better on the k-30. I do suspect that I will have to invest in a few batteries because I like working in live view
Focus peaking is cool...but as my old mentor used to say "it ain't no panacea". I thought focus peaking would allow me to not need an aftermarket focus screen but I may be wrong. I will give it some time.
I have not noticed any differences in IQ but I haven't tortured my K-30 yet. Ditto with AF speed accuracy.

So after a few hours of playing with the K-30, I think most of my niggles will go away after I have time to adjust. I got so used to the K-5 that it was like an extension of my hand. I think the K-30 has that potential to but after time to grow with it.
Having said that, the K-5 is the more pro-style camera. I rarely had to access the menu because all the functions I required were easily accessible with a button or dial on the body.

07-06-2013, 08:51 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by cali92rs Quote
So as some of you may have read, I broke my K-5 and a couple of my lenses. I was contemplating what to do because I couldn't spend any money on gear (baby on the way)...luckily Hunts had their fantastic deal, so I sold my Sigma 120-400mm to fund my new K-30+18-55wr combo. I need the 18-55 wr because one of the lenses destroyed was my 18-135mm I know it's a step down but stupidity has its costs and I had to make compromises due to financial constraints.

Anyway...there are a lot of threads about K-5 vs K-30 so let me add one from my point of view.

From a feel standpoint, the K-5 feels more dense. I much prefer the grip of the K-5 to the K-30 which I find a little narrow. I have bear paws for hands so maybe if you have smaller hands you would like the K-30.
The shutter is definitely much louder on the K-30... it sounds eerily similar to my ZX-5 film body.
The viewfinder on the K-30 is a treat Nice and bright. I have an EE-S screen on my K-5 but I am not sure if I want to swap it on my K-30.
I don't miss the top LCD as much as I thought I would....but I miss the following: dedicated ISO button; metering mode dial; separate AF and AE lock buttons.
The rear Lcd and live view are much better on the k-30. I do suspect that I will have to invest in a few batteries because I like working in live view
Focus peaking is cool...but as my old mentor used to say "it ain't no panacea". I thought focus peaking would allow me to not need an aftermarket focus screen but I may be wrong. I will give it some time.
I have not noticed any differences in IQ but I haven't tortured my K-30 yet. Ditto with AF speed accuracy.

So after a few hours of playing with the K-30, I think most of my niggles will go away after I have time to adjust. I got so used to the K-5 that it was like an extension of my hand. I think the K-30 has that potential to but after time to grow with it.
Having said that, the K-5 is the more pro-style camera. I rarely had to access the menu because all the functions I required were easily accessible with a button or dial on the body.
So sorry to hear it. I checked out your other thread, a canoeing accident? The WR didn't hold up? I hope you didn't lose the Cosina 1.2. I love focus peaking, I only wish Pentax would add other colors. The Sony implementation is near perfect for portraits. Once the eyes are red, you're good. It's a little more subtle with the Pentax implementation. It's also super easy to setup a zone, on grass, with the Sony.
07-06-2013, 12:11 PM   #3
Veteran Member

I miss the following: dedicated ISO button;
In Av mode you can alter the front wheel to adjust ISO if you change the defaults for E-dial programming. No buttons needed.
07-06-2013, 02:00 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
For extra batteries, you might want to consider getting the AA clip ($6 via China-Bay) and some Eneloops.

07-06-2013, 07:27 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I too have the K30 as I sold off the K5 to get it for the better AF. I bought the battery adapter so that I could use AA batteries in case I cannot charge the li-ions. I also have a total of 3 li-ion batteries to use when I go out shooting.
07-07-2013, 12:30 AM   #6
Pentaxian

...I have an EE-S screen on my K-5 but I am not sure if I want to swap it on my K-30.
Just wondering, why you don't want to do that? Have you encountered any issues with ee-s on your k-5?
07-07-2013, 07:59 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by kenafein Quote
So sorry to hear it. I checked out your other thread, a canoeing accident? The WR didn't hold up? I hope you didn't lose the Cosina 1.2. I love focus peaking, I only wish Pentax would add other colors. The Sony implementation is near perfect for portraits. Once the eyes are red, you're good. It's a little more subtle with the Pentax implementation. It's also super easy to setup a zone, on grass, with the Sony.
The lenses that were on board were my Sigma 8-16mm, the 18-135mm and my A-50mm. Unfortunately, the WR was no match for the rushing river. It might've been ok if it was a quick dunk, but it was left underwater for a while while i had to tend to other things The 8-16mm may be salvageable though because it was in a bag, so it only got a little moisture. I sent it in to Eric to see if he can work any magic.

07-07-2013, 08:02 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by yusuf Quote
Just wondering, why you don't want to do that? Have you encountered any issues with ee-s on your k-5?

The EE-S screen works great on the K-5, the objects in focus just pop right out...but it does darken your screen enough with slower lenses that it becomes a nuisance, especially after a long day of shooting.
The K-30 focusing screen is just so nice that I don't know if I am willing to make the trade of bright screen vs the ability to see shallower DOF, especially when i have focus peaking on the K-30.
07-07-2013, 05:27 PM - 1 Like   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
So yesterday was my first full day of shooting with the K-30.
A few observations...
Focus seems to lock on faster than with the K-5. It may just be a placebo, but I was never completely happy with the K-5's AF, and the K-30 just feels better.
Noise does not seem to be as well controlled on the K-30 as the K-5. At ISO 800 the K-5 was pretty much noise free where the K-30 noise does start showing up.

All of these were shot with my DAL 55-300mm and my 18-55mm

07-24-2013, 02:42 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Original Poster
An update since I have had the camera a little while longer:
I really miss the low noise, high ISO of the K-5. They share the same sensor, but i notice a lot more noise at 6400 with the K-30 than with the K-5.
I was contemplating swapping out my aftermarket EE-S focusing screen from the K-5 to the K-30...well, I have stopped that contemplation, the K-30 focusing screen is that good
No bounce flash over-exposure with the K-30
07-25-2013, 10:51 AM   #11
Veteran Member

An update since I have had the camera a little while longer:
I really miss the low noise, high ISO of the K-5. They share the same sensor, but i notice a lot more noise at 6400 with the K-30 than with the K-5.
A few thoughts......

1. The K-30 NR can be adjusted at individual ISOs.
2. Have you got Highlight Correction on? This raises JPG noise.
3. K-30 JPG images seem a bit sharper than K5 ones to me and there's no free lunch.
4. The K5 cost a lot more so is bound to have a few tricks up its sleeve re. NR. It does go to ISO 51200 after all.
07-25-2013, 12:11 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by SteveB Quote
A few thoughts......

1. The K-30 NR can be adjusted at individual ISOs.
2. Have you got Highlight Correction on? This raises JPG noise.
3. K-30 JPG images seem a bit sharper than K5 ones to me and there's no free lunch.
4. The K5 cost a lot more so is bound to have a few tricks up its sleeve re. NR. It does go to ISO 51200 after all.
Regarding items 1 and 2, I have not checked Highlight correction settings or things like that...but I only shoot RAW. Is this correction effecting the RAW image somehow?

3. I totally agree. I was going to ask, but does the K-30 sensor have an AA filter? You have to be careful with the K-30 because it is very easy to oversharpen.

4. Also agree...but you see a lot of these threads popping up "should i get a used K-5 or a K-30". It really is kind of a tough question because it is not an apples to apples comparison. The K-5 seems like the more "pro" style camera, but the K-30 also has its strengths, so there is a lot to consider.
07-25-2013, 12:12 PM   #13
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I don't own a K30 (I own two K5s), but my dad uses a K30 and I think a lot of things are roughly equivalent. I do see more dynamic range with K5 and do think it is a little stouter build. There are a few higher end features on the K5 (faster fps, deeper buffer, more buttons, quieter shutter, 5 shot multi exposure mode) that I missed when I was shooting his camera, but honestly, if one of my cameras went on the fritz, I would be more than happy replacing it with a K30 -- at least till the next APS-C flagship is released.
07-25-2013, 12:27 PM   #14
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
K-30 uses the K-01 sensor and imaging engine. Quickly, from jyust reading around the interwebs:
  • Prime II Imaging Engine (K5) vs. Prime M Imaging Engine (K30) = K30 has better video
  • 14-Bit / Channel RAW (K5) vs, 12-bit / Channel RAW (K30) = K5 has better DR depth & K5 has better noise control
  • K30 is reported to have more accurate low light but slightly slower AF than K5, which was a great improvement over K7
07-25-2013, 12:41 PM   #15
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
K-30 uses the K-01 sensor and imaging engine. Quickly, from jyust reading around the interwebs:
  • Prime II Imaging Engine (K5) vs. Prime M Imaging Engine (K30) = K30 has better video
  • 14-Bit / Channel RAW (K5) vs, 12-bit / Channel RAW (K30) = K5 has better DR depth & K5 has better noise control
  • K30 is reported to have more accurate low light but slightly slower AF than K5, which was a great improvement over K7
I don't do video, so can't comment on bullet 1. Bullet 2, i agree with that statement. You were almost noise free at ISO 1600 with the K-5, not so much with the K-30, and it just gets worse from there.
I do however disagree with K-30. I have not done any scientific testing, but the K-30 seems to lock onto focus a good deal faster than the K-5. That may have changed with the K-5II, but I just like the focusing much better with the K-30 than the K-5, in both speed and in accuracy.